“Beautiful Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Newfoundland
“Beautiful Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Myself and my sister stayed at Sol Cayo Guillermo from May 12th to May 19th and we had a really great time. It seemed really quiet the week that we were there which I liked. There were always chairs by the pool and on the beach and the buffet never seemed too crowed. We had a great room in building 6 which was right next to the pool and only a minute from the beach, the view of the ocean was amazing. The guy at the front desk was really friendly and helpful finding us a great room location. We really appreciated it. The room was nice and always clean. We only slept there so it suited us fine. When I take a beach vacation I always look for a really nice beach and this one was one of the nicest I have ever seen. The water was very clear and green, you could walk out a long way since it is very shallow. The food was good at the buffet and A La Carte. There is always something good to eat. As well I would like to say how great all the staff are, such nice helpful people. In particular Carlos at the main bar was great. Such a friendly genuine person, he made sure we had mojito. The girls there were so sweet as well. I've read a lot of the reviews on this resort and some of the stuff people complain about is so ridiculous. This is a beautiful resort and I am glad I got a chance to visit. I hope to return some time.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Not much to say, just returned one week visit on May 26th from Sol Cayo Guillermo.

Had a good time even with 4 days of rain, layout of resort easy to get around, staff
took excellent care of us, rooms clean, food usual for Cuba. Mixed group of visitors from
Canada, UK and Argentina. It’s a resort that we will try to return to in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank crannie
Cornwall, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Everytime I travel, I like to compile a list of things I wish I knew before I headed over to that resort. So here I am, providing it to you:

The stretch of beach of this hotel also opens up to several other hotels. Thus, you can walk down the beach (20-50 minutes, depending on how many you want to stop at) and peek into the various hotels. It's a great way to see if they really deserve those 5 stars. ;-)

There is a bus service that, for 5 pesos a day, allows you to travel to the various hotels. The hours of pickup are always posted at the front of the hotel. The Sol Cayo Guillermo is part of the Melia family, and thus, you can visit Sol Cayo Coco, and Tryp Cayo Coco and use their all-inclusive features for free, by taking the bus to head down to those specific hotels. It makes for a interesting 1 day excursion that is relatively cost-effective. This bus is the same that brings you to the Playa Pilar beach.

You also go to the lobby to get the special bracelets to travel to the Sol Cayo Coco and the Tryp Cayo Coco. This is necessary in order to use their all-inclusive features.

While at the resort, you can stop by their evening dance club. It's outdoors, and open after roughly 11h15 pm. When we went, it was pretty quiet. But around 11h30pm, a group of about 10 women from Argentina arrived, and it helped pick the party up. (Dancing isn't as fun when it's just you and your other friend). It closes at 2am, and there's a bar attached to it.

Things to be aware of when you are at the Sol Cayo Guillermo:

There are no alarm clocks in the room: bring your own, or use your cellphone in “airplane” mode.

These was no “Do not disturb” sign on our door. The maid would come in around 9-9.30 am.

Don’t bother with the runny eggs as part of the buffet: go with the guy who’ll make you omelettes or the other one that would make either French toast or pancakes (and sometimes in the shape of hearts or butterflies!).

The internet is available in one room beside the lobby… one of the computers was down, and, at one point I wanted to purchase a 30 minute card and there was only 1 left (purchase at the lobby). I suggest you buy a 1 hour card of 6 pesos (as opposed to 2 30 minute cards for 3 pesos each), as it can be reused throughout the week and it’s a great way to tell your family and friend’s you’ve arrived safe and sound. Also, internet is so slow that you use up time waiting for things to load.

The buffet hours are WIDE apart. There is a snack bar, but these "snacks" (little sandwiches) leave A LOT to be desired. I would take bananas from the buffet in the morning (even though it says to not take food outside) and eat those throughout the day. I would suggest you either pack your own snacks, or put a Tupperware into your purse discreetly and just TAKE food from the buffet throughout the morning and lunch hours. The lunch buffet closes at 3 and only opens again at 7. As I am pregnant, the need to eat throughout the day was there, and this was a HUGE disappointment to me.

On the other hand, there was occasionally an open “Churros” bar after 3pm, which is like a “donut” shaped like a curly fry.

Birds are known to swoop into the buffet restaurant, and the outdoor pizzeria, and pick at the food.

If you’re scheduled to leave in the afternoon, the checkout is still at 12. Our bus picked us up at 4.30pm, but we were able to leave our bags in the lobby and go out and do things anyway. So don’t fret if you have a late evening plane out.

Only 1 of the 2 restaurants was open during our stay. You can reserve a spot starting at 3.30pm in the afternoon, but usually for the days ahead. I suggest you reserve your restaurant immediately. Most excursions have you back before 6.30, so you should be able to book an excursion AND supper on the same day if you have to.

Go to the buffet sooner than later… the food is fresher, and ready to eat. The pizzeria is also worth trying on a good day. There's a hotdog and hamburger stand right beside this, but the food is a little undercooked. Learn to say "well done" in Spanish.

Communicate with your chambermaid with notes in Spanish to get more things like Agua or TP. Also, if you want the beds changed, you NEED to put a little card (provided) on the bed in order for her to do it. Do not hesitate to do this, especially if you gave her a nice gift and were polite.

There were cockroaches in our room and the air conditionner leaked. The washroom was cool, though. It was a tile shower.

There are mosquitoes in this area: bring BUG SPRAY and AFTERBITE. Bring gel for the burns you’ll get when you forget to ask someone to spray or cream your back with sunscreen.

You need to ask for a ticket at the lobby to get a towel. At the end of your stay, you need to give the Ticket back in order to not pay the 15 pesos fee.

You can get a peddle boat or a kayak for free when you go to the nautical center. You can get horserides on the beach – ask how. Number one thing to do when you get here… ASK!!!

I highly suggest you take the time to go snorkeling. It's an additional 15 pesos, but the man Joseph at the nautical center takes you out, far out, where there's a sunken ship propeller and we swam for about 45 minutes to an hour. You can take your life jacket off and dive deeper and check out the variety of fish there... which reminds me: BUY A WATERPROOF CAMERA!

This hotel is the FURTHEST from the Jardines Del Rey Airport (the one you fly into, coded CCC), but the CLOSEST to the Playa Pilar beach, which is supposed to be one of the nicest strips of beach you can attend in this area. The bus ride to this resort is roughly 50 minutes, and longer when stopping at other resorts. But from our hotel to the beach, it's roughly a 5-7 minute bus ride.

TIPS FOR CUBA:

Tips can be in Pesos, and Canadian Bills, but don’t give Canadian Change. Cubans cannot exchange the change itself… they’d need to find another Canadian to exchange their coins for bills in order to bring them to the bank. You can also tip with hygiene products and special foods, and especially clothing and shoes. There is no real import and export in Cuba.

You cannot buy pesos in Canada – you must wait until you get to Cuba itself. You can exchange at the hotel and at the airport. When returning from Cuba, make sure to keep a few pesos on you for at the airport – some of the gifts at the airport are actually cheaper than in the hotels (cigars, for example). Alcohol is regulated by the government, though, and is the SAME PRICE wherever you go. Also, at the airport, you can buy snacks and such but they are in pesos.

If you go here, don't come for the food. Come for the relaxation and proximity to the Playa Pilar Beach. Come for the fact that it's not overcrowded. But come prepared! Enjoy yourself! :-)

Room Tip: We had cockroaches... go with a second story room... you get a cool balcony!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank Christine P
somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We have just returned from a pleasant 2 week stay at the Sol Guillermo.

SEA / BEACH
We have visited a few Caribbean islands, and I can say that this matches any of them for its stunning beach and picturesque sea. One thing to be careful of is the wind, we are not daft but we still got caught out and ended up as lobsters, but it makes for a very nice refreshing day with the breeze. For us I will say that it was not ideal, we love our snorkelling and diving and there was nothing to see from the beach, and I mean nothing (other than your little shore fish), that’s how clear the sea is! To snorkel you have to go out on the catamaran and this costs every time, there is also a dive school (of sorts) along the beach, but to be honest although I am not the diver I went to snorkel and I was not at impressed with the set up, probably the most ropy I have come across.

ACCOMMODATION
Lovely, spacious, clean, nothing at all to pick fault with or complain, we were very pleased with our room.

FOOD/DRINK
As a fish lover my husband was in his element, fresh prawns, calamari, fresh fish all cooked to order and to his preference.
You have to be a very fussy eater not to find anything to eat, the meat is not of the best quality, and it is buffet food, but you know this before you go – all inclusive. There is a new chef and from the 2 weeks we were there you could see the changes that he is trying to make, I believe that he will be a great asset to this hotel and bring the food quality and service back to where I believe it could be.

The bar service was lovely, the staff were great, lovely people.

HOTEL
A nice complex, neat and practical layout, nicely maintained, and not too big. The pool was nice and the little Jacuzzi is great after a day at the beach.

MANAGEMENT
It was a little frustrating ( and this was not just my opinion but the opinion of others in the complex) to sit and have your meal whilst the ladies and gents who cleared the tables were rushed off their feet and not knowing which way to turn, and having to watch the “middle management” men walking around the restaurant having chats and pushing the odd chair under the table, there were times when you had a urge to get up and help them and shame the middle men, but this I suppose is how the ranking works!
THE MANAGER, was without doubt the most attentive that we have ever come across. All I will say is that if you do pick this hotel for a holiday, and you have any issues whilst you are there, please go and speak to him and talk it through, as he really is genuine and wants you to have an enjoyable stay – this without doubt puts this hotel in a whole different category just for this reason!

CONCLUSION
This is a nice hotel, if you wish an easy beach holiday, that won’t break the bank, then this could be for you, just remember the mossi spray!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank worzel
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Just thought i'd write a very quick review to say how much we enjoyed our second trip to the Sol Guillermo.We go away twice a year and no matter how much we like the hotel,we tend to try a different one every time.So when asked by a group of people we met there last year to go back this year,we were a bit hesitant.But we are so glad we decided to return.It was another great holiday with a crowd of great people!Lots of people we met were also return guests-so surely this must be a definate positive for the hotels reputation.Its not the best hotel we have ever stayed in (you get what you pay for-and if you are expecting the Ritz ,then you should pay the Ritz's prices!) and it does have its faults(what hotel doesn't?),but the friendliness of the staff and their warm welcome make up for any minor faults it does have.If you are going on holiday to nit-pick then maybe you shouldn't go to the Guillermo- BUT if you are going to chill out and have fun -in a little piece of paradise-then you should definately go to the Sol Guillermo!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Joboabo
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Joboabo. Thank you for coming on your second time and for your compliments specially to our staff which is one of the main reasons we have so many repeaters guest like you. Please, let us know when you are coming back. Kind regards. Luis Alberto Heras
coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

This was our 2nd time in this hotel not as good as first time but still had a great time we got the room we requested next to the wedding gazebo you will meet some great people and friendly staff if you want a beach out of this world with some of the best fishing in the world this is the place for you

Room Tip: ask for a room with sea view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paulall
Jose Antonio R, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Customer

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor, we really appreciate it! we love enjoy having feedback from our clients, We hope to see you soon to Welcome you in our hotel,

Have a Lovely Day!

Best Regards / Nelido Casay / Sales Manager
York , United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

It was our first time in Cuba and we spent two weeks from 05 Apr - 19 April 2012 at the Sol , my fiancee and i were so pleased with the choice of hotels and location. Yes the 4 star is cuban 4 star and may hit a 3 star in europe but dont let that put you off. The hotel is small enough to feel safe but big enough for you to find yor own iece of paradise. Our room was clean, tidy & comfortable but to be honest i didnt go on holiday to spend time in my room. The hotel staff were captivating and lovley so many characters to mention them all by name but the likes of Carlos and his big smile , Elizabeth and her cheekyness, Anita with her singing and the 2 Yamilla's who were always keen to serve with a smile help make the holiday what it was . The pool was clean and a good temperature especially on those HOT days. The Beach is beautifull with a shallow sea perfect for young children or those who arent confident swimmers, I can mention the weather which was 2 weeks of sunshine but you arent here to read about the weather. I am not sure how anyone can complain about the food at the hotel as there was plenty to choose from , whether it be grilled meat cooked in front of you or fresh pasta or fresh fish or if the mood takes you all 3 , the choices of self service dishes was plenty and in two weeks i never got bored of the food. The staff in the restaurant were wonderfull and always greeting people with a big smile. Manuel the manager is a machine the man works all the hours god sends but is very approachable and a jolly nice man.
Dont forget to head to the beach turn left and a few yards up the beach is a beach bar good for a change of scenary , great beer and great lobster , it isnt five star its a beach bar but the owner is wonderful and the food is great.
Thinking of going snorkeling , then see the life guards or talk to the 'sailors' at the hotels watersports centre 15 pesos pp got us a 90 minute trip on a catermerang out to sea with snorkelling equipment (dont forget bananas the fish love them) . It was amazing and 120 pesos cheaper than doing an excursion form the harbour area.
Compared to other Carribean islands Cuba is cheaper but trust me you will not find a safer , friendlier more captivating island than this one. We will be returning next year this time with the children. Thank you to Manuel and all at the Sol Cayo Guillermo you are as wonderfull as your island. See you in 2013

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the centre of the resort will be quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!