“Great Vacation with Amazing People:))) Must go!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sol Cayo Guillermo

Sol Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great Vacation with Amazing People:))) Must go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Hi all, just came back yesterday from Sol Cayo, we stayed for a week from May 25-June-02 2012, and this is a real honest review..Without the staff, this place would not be what it is. EIDEL (remember that name) is a true host and entertainer! You don't need to look for him, he will find you:) He is the most attentive and sweet genuine person. Thank you EIDEL:))))) The nightly shows are 5 Stars, incredible team of dancers. From 11pm to 2am they play house music and some salsa at the mini outdoor club. The Dj, Riki, is amazing and also their main dancer. Ladies, if you dance salsa, he's your man:) The food is just ok, you just need to switch it up a little or you will get bored, but no upset stomachs here! The beach is breath taking, 7 kms away you will find Playa Pillar (ask about it at the reception)..MUST GO! 5 pesos/person will get you there for the day, you can eat well at the restaurant for cheap (3 meals and 2 beers+icecream=$18 pesos=$20 sh dollars). The mosquitos are bad from 9sh to 10sh pm, and will calm down after that. BRING spray!:)-Remember you are on an island:) and it is normal. Rooms are clean and comfortable, nothing more and nothing fancy. Overall, I would return, and now I understand why people keep coming back here:) Good job EVERYONE at Sol Cayo Guillermo!! (very helpful to them if you tip them 1-2 pesos/exchange bank in the lobby of the hotel, no debit, but you can take out money from your visa). ENJOY!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are better than main level ones.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Irina O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Margate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

if you want to see the real cuba do not go to the cayos because it is a uninhabbited island but if you want great scenery great beaches and peace this is the place for you the hotel was ok food was getting better as a new manager has taken over and is making great changes the staff are great very helpful they entertain guest every night with good shows even though we had five days of solid rain it was still good a great mix of cultures at this hotel most well behaved but our dear canadian friends who used to distant themselves from the americans scream and hallow just as loud and can be very brash but for a quite break this is fine with plenty of return visitors if you do go take plenty of insect repelant take a trip to pilar beach it is stunning and food there great and cheap

Room Tip: rooms in the blocks 5 and 4 are in a better position for the beach although all rooms have easy acce...
middlesex london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We had a great vacation at Sol Cayo Guillermo me and my husband, been there second and third week of may, The hotel is very clean and organized, the reception is working ok, they have a beautiful beach , really one of the best that i never saw in my life, don't miss playa Pilar just few miles from the hotel, rooms are good, nothing fancy or luxury, but they told us already that what you are going to find in cuba, and it is ok for what to pay, Pool is very good and clean , entertainments are family based, but there is always something to see and enjoy at night, Food is good, i found that they should have more restaurants, you have just two places at lunch and two at dinner, at the end of the 2 weeks is king of boring eating just in 2 places, the fine dining place is very good quality and service, the buffet is good, we had the pleasure to meet the italian Executive chef , that he made a lasagna for us , it was great , the mexican corner is great as well, and his pizza is one of the best i never had, great asset for the hotel this guy.
The service is ok , sometimes the don't really care too much about us if you don't tip them, Bar is better , always very fast to serve you, the beach restaurant is ok , nothing special but for a lunch between a jump in the water and a sun shot is ok .
they have a gim with the basic , a cold jacuzzi and sauna that don't make a lot of sense.

overall a good vacation in a good hotel at a good price

Newfoundland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Myself and my sister stayed at Sol Cayo Guillermo from May 12th to May 19th and we had a really great time. It seemed really quiet the week that we were there which I liked. There were always chairs by the pool and on the beach and the buffet never seemed too crowed. We had a great room in building 6 which was right next to the pool and only a minute from the beach, the view of the ocean was amazing. The guy at the front desk was really friendly and helpful finding us a great room location. We really appreciated it. The room was nice and always clean. We only slept there so it suited us fine. When I take a beach vacation I always look for a really nice beach and this one was one of the nicest I have ever seen. The water was very clear and green, you could walk out a long way since it is very shallow. The food was good at the buffet and A La Carte. There is always something good to eat. As well I would like to say how great all the staff are, such nice helpful people. In particular Carlos at the main bar was great. Such a friendly genuine person, he made sure we had mojito. The girls there were so sweet as well. I've read a lot of the reviews on this resort and some of the stuff people complain about is so ridiculous. This is a beautiful resort and I am glad I got a chance to visit. I hope to return some time.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Not much to say, just returned one week visit on May 26th from Sol Cayo Guillermo.

Had a good time even with 4 days of rain, layout of resort easy to get around, staff
took excellent care of us, rooms clean, food usual for Cuba. Mixed group of visitors from
Canada, UK and Argentina. It’s a resort that we will try to return to in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank crannie
Cornwall, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Everytime I travel, I like to compile a list of things I wish I knew before I headed over to that resort. So here I am, providing it to you:

The stretch of beach of this hotel also opens up to several other hotels. Thus, you can walk down the beach (20-50 minutes, depending on how many you want to stop at) and peek into the various hotels. It's a great way to see if they really deserve those 5 stars. ;-)

There is a bus service that, for 5 pesos a day, allows you to travel to the various hotels. The hours of pickup are always posted at the front of the hotel. The Sol Cayo Guillermo is part of the Melia family, and thus, you can visit Sol Cayo Coco, and Tryp Cayo Coco and use their all-inclusive features for free, by taking the bus to head down to those specific hotels. It makes for a interesting 1 day excursion that is relatively cost-effective. This bus is the same that brings you to the Playa Pilar beach.

You also go to the lobby to get the special bracelets to travel to the Sol Cayo Coco and the Tryp Cayo Coco. This is necessary in order to use their all-inclusive features.

While at the resort, you can stop by their evening dance club. It's outdoors, and open after roughly 11h15 pm. When we went, it was pretty quiet. But around 11h30pm, a group of about 10 women from Argentina arrived, and it helped pick the party up. (Dancing isn't as fun when it's just you and your other friend). It closes at 2am, and there's a bar attached to it.

Things to be aware of when you are at the Sol Cayo Guillermo:

There are no alarm clocks in the room: bring your own, or use your cellphone in “airplane” mode.

These was no “Do not disturb” sign on our door. The maid would come in around 9-9.30 am.

Don’t bother with the runny eggs as part of the buffet: go with the guy who’ll make you omelettes or the other one that would make either French toast or pancakes (and sometimes in the shape of hearts or butterflies!).

The internet is available in one room beside the lobby… one of the computers was down, and, at one point I wanted to purchase a 30 minute card and there was only 1 left (purchase at the lobby). I suggest you buy a 1 hour card of 6 pesos (as opposed to 2 30 minute cards for 3 pesos each), as it can be reused throughout the week and it’s a great way to tell your family and friend’s you’ve arrived safe and sound. Also, internet is so slow that you use up time waiting for things to load.

The buffet hours are WIDE apart. There is a snack bar, but these "snacks" (little sandwiches) leave A LOT to be desired. I would take bananas from the buffet in the morning (even though it says to not take food outside) and eat those throughout the day. I would suggest you either pack your own snacks, or put a Tupperware into your purse discreetly and just TAKE food from the buffet throughout the morning and lunch hours. The lunch buffet closes at 3 and only opens again at 7. As I am pregnant, the need to eat throughout the day was there, and this was a HUGE disappointment to me.

On the other hand, there was occasionally an open “Churros” bar after 3pm, which is like a “donut” shaped like a curly fry.

Birds are known to swoop into the buffet restaurant, and the outdoor pizzeria, and pick at the food.

If you’re scheduled to leave in the afternoon, the checkout is still at 12. Our bus picked us up at 4.30pm, but we were able to leave our bags in the lobby and go out and do things anyway. So don’t fret if you have a late evening plane out.

Only 1 of the 2 restaurants was open during our stay. You can reserve a spot starting at 3.30pm in the afternoon, but usually for the days ahead. I suggest you reserve your restaurant immediately. Most excursions have you back before 6.30, so you should be able to book an excursion AND supper on the same day if you have to.

Go to the buffet sooner than later… the food is fresher, and ready to eat. The pizzeria is also worth trying on a good day. There's a hotdog and hamburger stand right beside this, but the food is a little undercooked. Learn to say "well done" in Spanish.

Communicate with your chambermaid with notes in Spanish to get more things like Agua or TP. Also, if you want the beds changed, you NEED to put a little card (provided) on the bed in order for her to do it. Do not hesitate to do this, especially if you gave her a nice gift and were polite.

There were cockroaches in our room and the air conditionner leaked. The washroom was cool, though. It was a tile shower.

There are mosquitoes in this area: bring BUG SPRAY and AFTERBITE. Bring gel for the burns you’ll get when you forget to ask someone to spray or cream your back with sunscreen.

You need to ask for a ticket at the lobby to get a towel. At the end of your stay, you need to give the Ticket back in order to not pay the 15 pesos fee.

You can get a peddle boat or a kayak for free when you go to the nautical center. You can get horserides on the beach – ask how. Number one thing to do when you get here… ASK!!!

I highly suggest you take the time to go snorkeling. It's an additional 15 pesos, but the man Joseph at the nautical center takes you out, far out, where there's a sunken ship propeller and we swam for about 45 minutes to an hour. You can take your life jacket off and dive deeper and check out the variety of fish there... which reminds me: BUY A WATERPROOF CAMERA!

This hotel is the FURTHEST from the Jardines Del Rey Airport (the one you fly into, coded CCC), but the CLOSEST to the Playa Pilar beach, which is supposed to be one of the nicest strips of beach you can attend in this area. The bus ride to this resort is roughly 50 minutes, and longer when stopping at other resorts. But from our hotel to the beach, it's roughly a 5-7 minute bus ride.

TIPS FOR CUBA:

Tips can be in Pesos, and Canadian Bills, but don’t give Canadian Change. Cubans cannot exchange the change itself… they’d need to find another Canadian to exchange their coins for bills in order to bring them to the bank. You can also tip with hygiene products and special foods, and especially clothing and shoes. There is no real import and export in Cuba.

You cannot buy pesos in Canada – you must wait until you get to Cuba itself. You can exchange at the hotel and at the airport. When returning from Cuba, make sure to keep a few pesos on you for at the airport – some of the gifts at the airport are actually cheaper than in the hotels (cigars, for example). Alcohol is regulated by the government, though, and is the SAME PRICE wherever you go. Also, at the airport, you can buy snacks and such but they are in pesos.

If you go here, don't come for the food. Come for the relaxation and proximity to the Playa Pilar Beach. Come for the fact that it's not overcrowded. But come prepared! Enjoy yourself! :-)

Room Tip: We had cockroaches... go with a second story room... you get a cool balcony!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank Christine P
somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We have just returned from a pleasant 2 week stay at the Sol Guillermo.

SEA / BEACH
We have visited a few Caribbean islands, and I can say that this matches any of them for its stunning beach and picturesque sea. One thing to be careful of is the wind, we are not daft but we still got caught out and ended up as lobsters, but it makes for a very nice refreshing day with the breeze. For us I will say that it was not ideal, we love our snorkelling and diving and there was nothing to see from the beach, and I mean nothing (other than your little shore fish), that’s how clear the sea is! To snorkel you have to go out on the catamaran and this costs every time, there is also a dive school (of sorts) along the beach, but to be honest although I am not the diver I went to snorkel and I was not at impressed with the set up, probably the most ropy I have come across.

ACCOMMODATION
Lovely, spacious, clean, nothing at all to pick fault with or complain, we were very pleased with our room.

FOOD/DRINK
As a fish lover my husband was in his element, fresh prawns, calamari, fresh fish all cooked to order and to his preference.
You have to be a very fussy eater not to find anything to eat, the meat is not of the best quality, and it is buffet food, but you know this before you go – all inclusive. There is a new chef and from the 2 weeks we were there you could see the changes that he is trying to make, I believe that he will be a great asset to this hotel and bring the food quality and service back to where I believe it could be.

The bar service was lovely, the staff were great, lovely people.

HOTEL
A nice complex, neat and practical layout, nicely maintained, and not too big. The pool was nice and the little Jacuzzi is great after a day at the beach.

MANAGEMENT
It was a little frustrating ( and this was not just my opinion but the opinion of others in the complex) to sit and have your meal whilst the ladies and gents who cleared the tables were rushed off their feet and not knowing which way to turn, and having to watch the “middle management” men walking around the restaurant having chats and pushing the odd chair under the table, there were times when you had a urge to get up and help them and shame the middle men, but this I suppose is how the ranking works!
THE MANAGER, was without doubt the most attentive that we have ever come across. All I will say is that if you do pick this hotel for a holiday, and you have any issues whilst you are there, please go and speak to him and talk it through, as he really is genuine and wants you to have an enjoyable stay – this without doubt puts this hotel in a whole different category just for this reason!

CONCLUSION
This is a nice hotel, if you wish an easy beach holiday, that won’t break the bank, then this could be for you, just remember the mossi spray!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank worzel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!