“great holiday”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Manchester, United Kingdom
“great holiday”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely complex.Staff very hard working and pleasant.Entertainment the best i have seen at an all inclusive.Beach is beautifull.Food may not be four star but there is something for everybody although a little repetative. Although the international restaurant was very nice you can choose one a la carte each week. Great weather great holiday great staff at this hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Lesley,

Thank you for all your compliments with the hotel. thank you for taking time to write them, I'm glad to read we were able to provide you with a nice holiday experience. I'm totaly agree with your remarks, Entertainment is the best, staff very hard working and pleasant & Beach beautifull, is the package you always looked for. We would like to have you back in our resort again and we would like to accomodate you well. therefore before your next visit to us, please, let us know in advance your requests, so that we can fullfil them and you can have an excellent stay with us once more. Sol Cayo Guillermo began to miss you since you packed you luggage. We hope to see you soon!

Jose Antonio / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I'll keep my review short and sweet.

This was my 8th visit to the island of Cayo Guillermo.7/8 stays have been at the Melia Cayo Guillermo. I wanted to try something different... And it certainly was. I used to roll my eyes when people post such negative things or pictures of filth at their resort because let's face it... It's not North America things aren't state of the art and I can appreciate that so here is my honest review.

Pros:

The beach: beyond stunning. Crystal clear azure blue waters and white sands as far as the eye can see. The tide is low enough for young children to enjoy the beach and parents don't have to worry about deep waters for hundreds of feet.

The pool: perfect... Not huge but just enough space for everyone to play or relax. The deck has a few cabanas and a lot of chairs. I never had to reserve a chair there's always some available.

The rooms: average for Cuba. Nothing outstanding but its a room.. I'm assuming you're just going to sleep so who needs the marble floors or fancy waterfall shower heads that I've experiences at other all inclusives around the Caribbean.

Resort: in a perfect location close to many of the attractions. In my opinion the beach at the sol is the best due to the way the tide goes out there aren't deep waters.

Staff: the buffet service staff was wonderful. Very genuine and always smiling. Yamila and Roberto were my favourites.
The gardeners are great! Always showing their talents with their crafty palm creatures or making bouquets of flowers for the women.
Our maid was fantastic but I don't know her name... Probably the best maid I've had at any resort.

Cons:

Front desk: never happy or smiling. For 3 days the resort phones were not working and I was unable to call home. When asked how I could reach my family, I was told I could go to the melia and get a phone card... I walked to the melia and was told that the phone cards are for locals cell phones. On the first day we had no bottles of water or drinks in our fridge and then when I called front desk to ask to have it filled we were told that its an extra service!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!?! I'm at an all inclusive and I have to pay for my mini bar?? I wanted pop not a bottle of rum!! It took 12 hours ( no exaggration) to finally get a bottle of water which we were only allowed 1 of. Beyond rediculous !!!!!!!!

Resort:
The cleanliness is brutal... I took pictures because I was in disbelief. For 3 days there was a stack of dishes placed on the ground of the "pantry" which is where the maids wash their bedding. The plates had food caked on them and just sat there. The same situation in another area of the resort that I walked by daily.

The gardens were dead and and looked like weeds rather than beautiful tropical bushes.

Our room door (314) looked like it had possibly been kicked in before... The lock was broken and just handing on the frame of the door. Sometimes it'd get stuck and I'd have throw my shoulder hard into it just to open the door.

The air conditioning worked one time at the buffet, every other day/night the place was a sauna. The cold items were sweating. Definitely not sanitary for the cold cuts that were sitting out at th buffet.

There was no phone service available for days so if there was an emergency back home you'd never know.

The food:

Borderline horrible. I never understood when people would complain about the food in Cuba because I've only ever stayed at a 5 star and there was tons of great food... Something for everyone... Pizza, pasta, a girl station... Etc.

At this resort the buffet was by far the worst I had ever seen. Never a change and all if the hot stations were mystery foods. They had tags out for the food in the hot trays but placed incorrectly so u had to guess what you were eating. I kid you not when I say the food was the same every day with the exception of 1 when they had a bus from another resort come by with guests for a tour. That was the only day the air conditioning conveniently worked in the buffet as well.

On a Tuesday I believe it was, there was a group from Montreal departing and they had a huge farewell for them with music and decorations... Similar to the way you are greeted when you return. But that was the only time I saw any sort of effort into making guests feel welcome.

The chefs in the buffet were always angry at someone or something. The gentleman at the pasta station hated everyone who wanted pasta. Not making any conversation, checking his phone and texting every second. Throwing things around... Just nasty.

One morning I believe it was my last, I asked what appeared to be the head chef if there was someone at the pancake station and he yelled at me saying "in a minute!!!!!"

I am a server who works in a busy restaurant so I understand the stresses of working in that environment so I'm a little more u detstandibg and patient with staff but that was uncalled for.

The entertainment was probably ok but I can't comment on it because the Mosquitos were too bad to stick around ... Obviously no one but mother natures fault.

There was only 1 a la carte available that week. The ranchon was closed for an unknown reason.

Overall I was quite disappointed but I paid for what I got since it wasn't peak season. I would however be very upset paying full price at peak season and seeing what the resort had to offer.

Now I know the real difference the star ratings ... 5 star is truly the only way to go!

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Mamma_C1982
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Mamma

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor, we really appreciate it, they give us the opportunity to work on you (clients) to be better and better, and we took them very seriously, I had read it to our employees your oppinions, specially reception in order to let them know how our clients are looking us & fix the issue for the next ones. We would like to have you back in our resort again and we would like to accomodate you well. therefore before your next visit to us, please, let us know in advance your requests, so that we can fullfil them and you can have an excellent stay with us once more.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is my 5th stay at this Resort and each time it is more magical!

Thomas Cook Flight

On time, in fact early both ways! New planes are much better, 2 4 2 set up with more legroom, better inflight extertainment (ability to choose & pause etc) & great meals.

Rooms

Every room in the Resort is as good as the last although you do have your preferred location, mine being blocks 800 & 900. As renovations are starting in this area, we stayed in a bungalow 606 which was a fab location, sea front and close access to main Resort area. Upper floor rooms & bungalows have high ceilings, creating much more space in the rooms. Rooms cleaned daily, fresh water provided each day & towels changed when requested. Iron & ironing boards provided but maybe take a travel kettle if travelling with little ones for bottles.

Resort

One of the smaller Resorts accross the Cayos but with no less attention to detail! Resort is well maintained and extremely clean. There is a main buffet, A la carte - the Don Guillermo, a snack bar, bbq & beach Ranchon, together with a main bar, lobby bar & Rum Bar (Cubanito). The Resort has one pool, sectioned into smaller pools. There is a gym, sauna & massage facility, tennis courts and children's mini club / play area. Access to the internet is also available in the lobby but remember this is Cuba so access is slow! There are a few small shops in the lobby area but with limited supplies so take with you everything you feel you will need just incase. Towels are supplied, one per person which you can change dailt.

Food / Drink

Have no complaints at all, there is always something delicious on offer, from the fresh meat counter, fish counter, pasta counter, salad bar or dessert counter, together with the main buffet prepared food. Food is always hot & tasty. Snack bar is mainly toasties or burgers. There is a wide variety of food to choose from. There is a wide variety of drinks too.

Beach

Out of the world! Powder like sand, turquoise water, very warm & shallow, ideal for all ages. Take some bread into the sea & the fish will feed from your hand.

Excursions (Thomas Cook)

Wide variety of excursions, reasonably priced. Dolphins are great & so is the full day catamaran. I would recommend doing to town excursion, something like 'this is cuba / now cuba' to see the real Cuba.

Entertainment

All day activities from archery, lazy darts, vollyball, dancing, mini club. Night time, children's mini disco, adult game & evening show! Fantasia show is a must see.

Staff

These are the people who make this Resort so special. Attention to detail is second to none. From pre holiday email communication to a wave off back to the airport. Yaimi & Lupe at Reception & Customer Service are extremely helpful and add the little touches to your holiday. Thank you girls! Lazaro, the Gardener, never stops - such a hard worker! He is a hidden gem in this Resort. Restaurant staff, Maria, Ana and Roberto make meal times much more comfortable. The two ladies & Francis behind the main bar never fail to smile. Cubainto Carlos - an asset to this Resort, wish you worked more days, we miss you on your 2 days off in between each 1 in!! Finally & most importantly, the fantastic Entertainment staff, what a fantastic job, Janiel, Ihlex, Rey and Felix, well done to you all, you were the highlight of our holiday! Generally, staff at SCG well done, we appreciate it & miss you all!

Tips

Kettle if travelling with little ones.
Plenty of Mozzie deterrent!
Upper floor rooms or bungalows.
Take everything you will need, supplies are limited.
Open mind and enjoy the culture of Cuba!

Well done SCG another fab year! We will most certainly be back! x

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms or bungalows
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank kitteneyes
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Loyal kitteneyes,

Magical was your long & helful comment! Just by reading the title of your review we get a perfect portrait of your very much enjoyable holiday experience. We are so glad to read it has been such a great time shared with our team! As you said our potential are staff and beach, they make the difference and they make worth you have spent your holiday close to us! Thank youi for your Loyalty and for choosing us everytime i hope you keep coming at the hotel for ever, we'll work for it. Have a wonderful day, See you soon!

newcastle
Reviewed 6 June 2014

my second holiday to this hotel first was in 2008, we stayed here for two weeks the weather was very nice as usual, the food was plentiful with a wide selection, and the staff friendly as ever, our room was 415 air con essential, clean with a nice view, i believe the hotel is one of the older ones on the island which to me is now looking a bit tired in places, they are building a few new ones near pilar beach, this is my 3rd time to cuba last time we stayed at the playa pesquero in holguin which was amazing, the cayos is an excellent place for a beach holiday, the hotel has lots to do and there is a show on every night , with daytime activities for everyone, in all a nice place to be,
if you are going to cuba they would appreciate the following (gifts) pencils, kids colouring books, and kids vitamins, also plenty tips, i took vitamins for kids and left unused toiletries, and some new shorts, and a big tip for the cleaner, ps please take plenty mosquito repellent, sprays are not very good, i took the gel type, those wrist bands seem ineffective, they do fumigate for the mosquitos, also if you can do the havana trip it was worth it.

Room Tip: sea views,
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carl1962
Dear Carl,

I have enjoyed reading all your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. I'm glad to read that your seocnd time with us has also been an enjoyable experience. Thank you for post it, we love enjoy having feedback from our clients, we hope to see you one more time laying in front of our spectacular beach Spot or Around the pool area drinking a cuban cocktail, taking a nap or reading a book and enjoying the purity of the nature at Sol Cayo Guillermo style, Have a lovely Week! See you Soon!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I loved everything about my holiday The place was very friendly the staff could not be more helpful the food was delish my accommodation was really nice and the maids came every day. The entertainment was exceptional there was something for every one the shows were fantastic at the night time

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank LindaRothwell
Dear Linda,

Your comments has been Brilliam! I love having feedback from my clients, specially when they left the hotel. I'm very glad to know we have been able to provide you with another fantastic holiday experience. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff.Your comments make us feel like we are moving on the right direction to make our hotel even better for your future enjoyment. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We have just arrived back from what i can only describe as another two weeks spent in paradise. This was our third visit and we love it. We get greeted like family the staff are amazing so helpful and always smiling. The food is much improved thanks to new head chef angel , our repeat guest meal was outstanding the buffet has so much more choice that some evenings we struggled to decide. We'd like to thank lupe for all her care and attention as with all the management and staff nothing was ever to much. Our only negative is that we can only visit once year.
So thank you Jose and all you're wonderful staff for our perfect two weeks in paradise and we'll see you next April
Anita and John smith (815)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anita C S
Dear repeated Anita,

great to read you have found improvements at the hotel. we works for you and we do with love and devotion. So glad to read you have had a wonderful holiday with us! Thank you so much for reviewing your experience, especially for all your compliments about our facilities and services. Thank you for let us know in advance that you'll be back, we'll be glad to welcome you one more time, Please, email us your booking details and just ring the bell for us to look after another excellent holiday with us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

In mid April, a group of 16 of us returned to SCG and had a fabulous time. Everything was perfect, the weather, the beach, the food was great and as alway's the most amazing staff!!!! I have been returning to this hotel for 18 yrs and almost alway's stay in the same room. This last trip there was a small problem so I was put in the room next to my regular room..I would just like to point out that the General manager( Antonio) went out of his way to personally buy me a bottle of the best white wine the store had just to say sorry about the room. I really didn't expect anything like that so I have to say Thank you once again Antonio for that lovely gesture. Nelido as alway's, my good friend was very attentive to all our needs, alway's with a smile on his face and happy to share his little free time with us. Also, Nelido, thank you for the most amazing lunch you arranged for us to have...we all loved it, it was delicious!
This little hotel is a home away from home for many regular repeat guests. It may not alway's be perfect as thing's do go wrong from time to time but it is alway's perfect to me!!!
Thank you everyone at SCG for your smiles, your friendliness and most importantly...for alway's making me feel HAPPY when I am there!
See you in Sept my friend's!! XXX

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Timalee
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear lovely & Loyal Tima,

Thank you very much for have taken part of your time to write your comment con Tripadvisor, I appreciate it a lot, specially coming from you, a client who is visiting us since the hotel was open, 18 years ago, thank you for your loyalty, your honesty and your friendship with all your family in Sol Cayo Guillermo. You know every client have a piece of or heart, also we always find a way to provide you a nice welcome and we'll do our best to make you keep your gorgeous smile, thank you for enjoy every moment, every day and for make happy your friends. Please keep in touch and see you in september 10th with all your gruop as you always come. Have a nice Day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
#5 of 6 in Cayo Guillermo
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!