“MOSQUITO HEAVEN !!!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“MOSQUITO HEAVEN !!!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We travelled on the 18th June for a fortnight with our 11 year old daughter , we were human pitzas getting eaten alive by the Cuban Mosquito !!! .. over 200 bites between the three of us , no matter what repellent you put on :( for the first three days we were confined to our room after 8pm as you were eaten alive , a light aircraft came over with some smoke and the site was stayed daily. It was then either "put up or shut up" as we had payed so much money for our holiday. i could not eat the food as this was shared by the birds and Mosquitos and flyes in the food (the food was pretty basic and "dirty" ) very unhygienic and we all fell ill to the toilet!
The living apartments are very run down, the first night we had no hot water, this did get fixed on day 2, and the second night the air conditioning leaked all over my daughters bed and toys , also fixed next day,(we all shared a bed that was big, but sheets enough for a single bed) Many guests were moved many times due to complications of there rooms. We did have a sea view but unfortunately we were unable to sit on the balcony at all due to getting bitten
The bars ran out of drinks daily and we had to get our own for the Al al carte as i don't drink wine or beer . The Al al carte was the only other place to sit with air-conditioning . I did ask the manger if a few of us could use this room after 10pm to allow us somewhere to sit and chat but he said no. so we were left open to the bugs.
The entertainment did there very best for the few brave enough to stay outside and we had some fun nights due to the freinds we all made, we all stuck together and made it as fun as possible
Diet coke bottles are filled with coke from the pumps........!!!!
The beeches are to die for... totally awesome , go to the Coral reef and the dolphin adventure was a dream... Cuba did end up with my heart due to this .
We were told to wash ourselves in neat vodka as a antidote to the mosquito bites so perfume was not needed on this holiday !

Room Tip: to be totally honest everyone complained about there room and the further away you are there is no l...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking a time to review your recent stay with us. I am truly sorry for falling short of your expectations. We fog the mosquitoes twice a day, we advise to our clients bring spray and gream after bite and the bite wont be worst. we are certain that there is lots of room for improvement and we are truly focused on filling those gaps which still require our action.we will certainly look after those matters which have to be rectified to make sure you and other customers enjoy your future stays in Sol Cayo guillermo.

Jose Antonio / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Spent one week here just myself and my husband celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, what a lovely time we had, great atmosphere lovely staff. What a fantastic beach spent every day in the sea so clear just so beautiful. We will go back next year but this time with our kids its so much better than Europe you get more for your money. Lovely rooms had everything we needed, food was lovely had a great selection of places to eat. really enjoyed the cocktails Pina Colada made with fresh coconut from the gardens.Entertainment every night and a small kids club on site, their is nothing to spend your money on only one gift shop and everything very cheap to buy.We are really smitten with this place didn't get bothered by anybody just left to enjoy our holiday which was so relaxing. Only piece of advice I can give is don't go to Cuba without sun lotion or mosquito repellent as they are still in short supply.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mazbam
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Customer,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing us to celebrate your 25th wedding anniversary. It was an honour have you at the resort during that important date. Great to know you have spent a lovely time an you have found a great atmosphere & lovely staff, those are our assets (staff & Beach). Is important as you said clients bring their mosquitoes spray, sometimes our shops can't support the demands, shops are in the hotel but they don't belong to us, but they can affect us if they don't have the items you need for your holiday, an advice is bring your own spray and a cream after bite. Have a wonderful day!

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just returned 3/7/14
The good bits,
Very clean, very quiet location staff are very friendly even the gardeners. Rooms are basic but cleaned everyday with a bottle of fresh water everyday. Our room 115 was well out of the way on the disco noise and with a partly sea view and nice cold air con which suited us fine.

Pool is kept clean and it wasn't a problem getting a sunbed there is also plenty of beds on the beach and shaded areas if you prefer the beach to the pool

The beach area is great with soft white sand and just a 5 min stroll along to the Melia Hotel there is a great wooden pier with sunbeds that many a night i and my wife sat and watched the sun go down.
The entertainment staff do a good job with the little resources they have.

Food is ok but basicly the same every night

I and my wife did the Dolphin swim which was well worth the money if you like that sort of thing
also the speed boat self drive tour was fun, you drive your own boat and follow a guide out to a creek where you get a chance to snorkel and see many fish

Not So Good

Be careful of drinking the water from the bars and the restaurants and ice cubes in your drinks , even tho the water is safe to drink i and my wife had the trots until we worked out that it was the tap water as they do not use bottled water at the bars, after we stopped drinking the tap water and the ice in the drinks we were fine.

If you want fresh cooked meat or fish from the grill in the restaurant you have to wait until it is cooked to order so by the time you wait your partner may be finished there meal before you sit down, so timing is the key lol

As we went in the start of the wet season the mosquito are out in force so if you are thinking of going June till October time take plenty of repellent as they do not stock it in the shops

We took the 3 day trip Havana by coach as we were told we would see a lot of the old Cuba on the trip.

This is not that true the first and last days are mainly motorway driving (8hrs there 8hrs back) with very little to see and the roads are very poor and old coaches with a out of order loo, the drivers stops approx every 2/2.5 hrs for a 15min toilet / rest and a 1hr dinner break .

We stayed in a great Hotel in Havana The National (all food is included in this trip and a 2 night stay over) we took a walk out from the Hotel and boy we wished we never the locals are on you straight away begging or pulling at you to go into a bar or club so we lasted 15mins and went back to the Hotel.

The one day you get to spend with the guide in Havana Town is like a whirlwind tour with very little time to spend in any location. Cuba is a very poor country so dont expect to see many shops in Havana town to browse around also some shops and bars dont take the torioust money. Again a lot of kids begging and pulling at your bags.

The Hotels do a one day trip to Havana fly up on the morning and back on the same night i personally would do that if i was going to do it again as i dont think you see that much more on the coach trip for the extra money.

The reps advise you to take a trip on the local bus to Pilar beach as it has won awards but if you are staying in any of the surround Hotels i would say the beaches are just the same also at Pilar you pay for your sunbeds

I have tried to give a honest opinion about the resort and some advice

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank craig c
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your comments.Thank you for all your comments about the facilities. Concerning the water and ice cube,we follow the procedure as all hotels in cuba do it, treat the water before use it with an special machine with filter and also we are checked monthly by a company who certificate we are doing it well. Thank you far talking about excursions, clients love to know about them, they don't belong to the restor but clients like to do them, so thank you for your oppinions. Great to know you have enjoyed the hotel and I hope you visit us one more time. Hope to see you soon!

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We went here for our honeymoon, in May 2013 the place was beautiful. Temperatures in their 30s except for the last day when it 42!!!
Perfect beaches, and met some lovely people too.
Food was quite good, all inclusive so it gets a bit repetitive like most places on the 2nd week.
Staff are lovely,
our room was one of the superior ones due to it being our honeymoon, it was lovely overlooking the sea, it was very clean and spacious.
Only thing to warn about is the steps from the appartment to the ground, VERY slippy in the mornings (I fell down a flight so be careful)
Would go back any day.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SusanandJim2010
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Customer,

So glad to read you have had such a pleasant time with us. Thank you very much for posting your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. small details make the difference and we try to make it by our staff, amaizing beach with a fantastical staff is the perfect convination to have the best holiday ever. I'm happy to know you'll be back. Please! email us your booking details and just ring the bell for us to look after another excellent holiday with us. have a lovely day!

liverpool
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here last September and loved everything about it.
The hotel is set by a stunning beach and we were so lucky to have a sea view, I loved sitting on the balcony with a rum and soak up the view and peaceful atmosphere.
All the staff work so hard and are eager to please. Loved getting my gifts of the gardener every morning.
Food was great and I had my meat cooked fresh at the station every day, waiting on staff came to know our order and they always had a smile on their faces even when it was busy.
Bubba cups were great and would recommend taking one as it kept the drinks cool and saved getting served with the plastic cups.
Went to Havana for 3 days and the guide was so great and knowledgeable, Dolphins was a never forget experience.
Go enjoy, you wont regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nikkitoffee
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your lovely comments. WOW! lot of adjectives for us! that whow me how much you have enjoyed SOl cayo Guillermo, thank you for post your comment on this site. Staff are incredible at the resort, all of them from the gardener till managers, they work with devotion and love for you. I hope you return soon! please be in touch.

London, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I will premise this by saying that we are well traveled and have stayed in resorts ranging from a 3 star to a 5 star. This was our 6th visit to Cuba.

One of the main issues with this resort is that they try and market themselves as a 4 star when they are nowhere near that and set false expectations by doing this. That being said we went by the Air Canada rating of 3.5 stars which I think should be lowered to a 3. We did not expect a great room or great food based on the rating. I will break my review into categories to make it easier to read.

ARRIVAL: We received a warm welcome at reception and were told that our rooms were not ready. This was fine as we had arrived early and expected this. We had lunch and then our rooms were ready.

ROOMS: The bathroom in my room leaked in 15 different spots (yes I counted). It would continuously drip until the ceiling would eventually concave and a huge downpour of water would come gushing down. Someone came and used all my towels to dry the ceiling and then left the dirty towels on the bathroom floor. Nothing further was done which is unfortunate as it was a slip and fall accident waiting to happen. My sister had the same issue with her room. The air conditioning leaked substantially in both rooms, leaving large pools of water on the floor by the bed. I found this out when I slipped and injured my knee. The hotel’s resolution to this was to place a towel under the air conditioning which we then had to change regularly. The safe in my room did not work. You could lock it but any time you tried to open it you could not as the batteries did not work. Each time I could not open it I had to wait for security to come and manually open and fix it as you are required to be in the room for security reasons when they open the safe. This happened 5 times during the week resulting in much beach time lost while I waited in the room for them to fix it. I asked if they could come in the evening when I was in the room to which the response was that it had to be before 5pm. My sister’s sliding ground floor patio door did not lock. There was a chain on it that could easily be yanked from the door and still allowed the door to be opened at least a foot. Someone came to look at the door and said that it was fine as the chain was working. We explained that a single female was staying in the room on the ground floor with a door that did not lock. Their response was that we should not worry as nothing bad ever happens in Cuba. They refused to address the issue further. The rest of the room was basic but cute and clean.

FOOD: The food was fine. Not great but not necessarily bad either. It was pretty much what we expected for a 3.5 star resort. The selection was very limited and they had the exact same dishes every day for lunch and dinner. We and the other guests joked that it was a paint by numbers buffet because the same dish was in the same spot every day :-) Some of the returnee guests said that this was as limited as they had ever seen the buffet but it was probably due to it being low season. That being said, we did not go hungry as there was a made to order pasta station most days and they had a nice selection of fruits and cheeses. The flambayed bananas which are made to order were delicious. Breakfast was the best meal of the day with an omelette station. There was no bacon there the entire week which was fine with us but some of the other guests were complaining about that. Just an FYI that the buffet restaurant is extremely hot. They say it is air conditioned but if it is it must not have been working. The staff were wiping sweat from their faces constantly which may account for the fact that most of the staff were miserable and unfriendly with the exception of Yumi and Jorge. We felt bad that they had to work under those conditions. It was very uncomfortable to sit and eat a meal in that heat.

HEALTH/SAFETY ISSUES: There were many health and safety concerns in the restaurant including picking up tongs that had fallen on the floor and placing them back on the buffet, taking used glasses and refilling them and giving them to other guests, filling up used water bottles with pitchers which required placing the nozzle of the pitcher right into the bottle causing cross contamination just to name a few. Another concern was the kite boarding. Kite Boarding is prominent at this resort which is fine as long as guidelines are followed. They have a designated area to kite board outside of the swimming area. There were kite boarders being given lessons by the hotel every day in the swimming area and not in the designated area. A little boy narrowly missed having the kite hit him on the head and I myself was almost run over. I turned around just in time to see it and move out of the way. When I indicated that they were not in the correct area the instructor said that they had been told to kite in the designated area but refused. My question is then why would they continue to give them lessons in the swimming area? This is a huge safety issue that needs to be addressed as it is an accident waiting to happen.

BEACH: I have saved the best for last and I will let my pictures do most of the talking :-) It was hands down the nicest beach we have ever seen. Simply gorgeous and I think this is the main reason people return again and again.

Overall we got what we wanted which was relaxation on a great beach. Would we return? Not likely unless the rooms were renovated. Would we recommend? If you can get it at a good price (no more than $600 per person) and expect to have room issues and just want a great beach than I would say give it a try.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank cairo20
Dear Customer,

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor, sorry for falling short of your expectations after reading so many positive reviews on our hotel facilities and services. we really appreciate having feedback from our clients, they give us the opportunity to work on you to be better, and we took them very seriously, we promise you we have read it to our employees in order to let them know how is the clients looking us & fix the issue for the next clients, please! as soon as your re-book, email us your booking details for us to change your experiences. have a wonderful day!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was our second visit to the Sol and some things have improved but others have gone downhill. Last year we got our room key on the bus but this time had to queue at reception on arrival. We got to our room at 4.30pm and by 6.30pm we still hadn't managed to get through the door. Two frustrating trips back to reception with the promise of someone coming to assist did not happen. Finally went back to reception and was given another room which at first seemed ok (bungalow room) apart from furniture falling to bits. One afternoon I was having a nap in the room when someone tried to kick the door in. They obviously didn't know I was in. On opening the door it was a cleaner. She checked the door lock and walked off. 4 days later we had finally had enough of killing cockroaches in the room after being promised the room would be fumigated 2 days into our stay. Back to reception and given a key to check another room. Awful smell in it so back to reception. Finally given key to room 308 upstairs. Nice room. Moved all our belongings and at last we started to relax and enjoy the holiday. Credit to reception and guest services for finding us a room so promptly.
Food was an improvement on last year so credit to the new chef. The A La Carte was also very good.
The biggest asset for the hotel is the beautiful beach and warm sea which we both love and was the main reason for our second visit. We did the catamaran trip this year which was excellent and highly recommended.
Special mention for the lobby bar staff who looked after us all holiday and remembered us from last year.
The hotel has started to renovate rooms in the 700's and let's hope it continues throughout the resort. (building noise was minimal)
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would go again if we were guaranteed an upstairs room.
Forgot to mention that we did see a snake in resort which we took photos of and will put on here unlike the mysterious crocodile that no one takes photos of.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NottinghamDodger
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear repeated Customer,

Thank you for select us one more time. Great to know you have enjoyed your holiday during your second visit and you have noted we have had some improvements. I'm agree with you comments about the beach, is AMAZING some of our clients call it PARADISE... thank you for write on this site the noise is minimal, some clients are worry about it. we hope you be back soon..

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
#5 of 6 in Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!