“nervous for no reason” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
kingston
“nervous for no reason”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

went here on jan 21 to 28th. flew out of ottawa gate13. the plane had a part go wrong, so a new plane was flown in from montreal. after 4 hours we were on our way. sunwing did give us each a $5 voucher to use for snacks only.arrived very late? or early that morning and was in love from the start. just a few others got off here and check-in was good. ashley drove us to our room and has good english and good hearing as i cracked a joke to my girlfriend that i thought only she could hear he chimed in with a great line....got a nitecap and awoke next am to the warmth of cayo coco. this was our 1st time at this part of cuba and its really sweet. the flowers, the birds, the water and the people are awesome. the staff are 99% happy. the beach sand is like powder. a few bug bites and we were warned. ocean view is really nice. the water is not deep so swimming is not the best. when the tide goes out you can walk for miles. this was something i have never seen before.our room #59 was kept clean and the room temp was always the same. the air conditioner was quiet and never a issue until i messed with the remote but after a few words it worked.found ' hermes' at the lobby bar to be awesome. but they were all very good , best i have ever dealt with in the 7 times i have been to the island. the food was very good especially the pizza and breads. the baker is very nice guy. we had great service in the dining room with a special nod to 'yulia'. only one el-carte open and the food was awesome. the service from all and the now famous bartender orlandos wife. thank you. also had lobster at the 'cubanito'. its beside the 'daquiri' hotel. you get money at this hotel. we made reservations for the next nite as the lobster and shrimp are fresh caught. they then cook over a wood fire , where you can watch over your meal. i brought garlic powder from home and some butter from the resort. o my. i gave the owner and chef the garlic and 2 or 3 spices that i had brought as giveaways.. they were very happy.. wanted to eat there again but time ran out. we walked the beach to and from there and it was awesome. we even had a escort . the other el-carte was closed and full of mattresses so it became 'sleep country cuba' as we joked. we were told it was going to re-open when we were there but that was not happening anytime soon. took the speedboat trip. it was well worth it to see the landscape and check out the 'hutia' which the guide are the cuban ' beaver' but its really a tree rat. cute. also got to play bocche with the girlfriend winning a bottle of rum. also tried archery , darts, pool and spinning a 'pea' in a wine glass and trying to place on nearby table... you try it.. the grounds crew are great and even got a nice carved coconut from jose. i could go on forever but.. they could use a bank or exchange. walked alot and whole place was ..missing the resort now. thanks to the staff for a great time. note to the shop staff.. smile.. be happy

Room Tip: we liked the style we had one overlooking the ocean would be awesome next time
5 Thank baileydogKingston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Williamstown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here from January 14-28 2014.

The flight was long as we hit head winds but we made it there safe and sound. Arrival at the airport was quick and easy. Beer was served on the bus to the resort. The ride from the airport was approximately 40 mins. We were the second resort stop on the route. We arrived at the resort at approximately 12pm

This resort was called Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar, it has since changed management and is now called Allegro Club Cayo Guillermo effective January 27th.

CHECK IN
Check in was very easy. We contacted the reservations manager before arriving and requested an upgrade to a Junior Suite which costs $20CUC extra per day. Included in that is a bottle of rum, 4 a la carte reservations instead of 2 as well as a "romantico" lobster dinner. Eddwin greeted us, told us to go have a drink at the bar and the room would be ready shortly...it was ready within 20 minutes. Ashley drove us to our room with our bags and gave us the tour of the resort. His English is fantastic!

ROOM: JUNIOR SUITE 307
I had requested room 309 but it was not available, this room was right next door and the walkway lead directly to the pier, pictures below. We walked into a very nice sized living room, with bathroom to the left, when you walk past the sofa you turn right thru the door to the bedroom which has a bathroom off of it to the right. The suite was a nice size although a tad too dark because of the wood. Better lighting would certainly make it brighter. As you may have read in other reviews there are cracks between the joints and they let bugs in :( Hubby to be got eaten alive. I put farmers insecticide on morning and night and didn't get bit as badly, "to-be" only put on in the evening.
The bed was very firm, with 2 large king size pillows which we folded in 2 to each have a normal size pillow. We were told the bed was a king size when we checked in but it ended up being a double, that was ok though we cuddled up :) Sheets are a little too small and crumpled up leaving us sleeping on the bare mattress at times.
Walls are not soundproof, we could hear everyone walk by.
The views from the room were absolutely wonderful!
Walking out to the pier directly from our patio was a treat until we got to the ocean. The walkway stopped abruptly leading us to an unkempt part of the beach that we couldn't even walk on due to seaweed and coral and the pier going out into the water didn't have stairs to climb someone had piled rocks up to make a couple of stairs, I didn't bother going out.

FOOD:
Buffet:
Breakfast, lunch and supper at the buffet were all good. They had pancakes, French toast and fresh cooked eggs either omelet, scrambled or fried. The cooks were all very nice! The egg cook, Dianelly was sooo sweet and remembered exactly what we wanted every time we went to her. The breakfast waitresses were fantastic, Yulia always had a seat ready for us :)
Lunch buffet was a variety of pastas, pizza, stirfry and hamburgers as well as fresh veggies and fruits all the time. Desserts were yummy!
Supper buffet one night we had turkey another night roast pork with gravy! There was also a choice of pastas and sauces as well as veggies and other choices of sides and meals.

A la carte restaurants:
Italian: Pasta was cooked perfectly al dente! The sauces were delicious. The garlic shrimp is recommended! I heard that the pizza was delicious as well, we didn't try it though.
Cuban: We only went there once during our stay, it was good as well, but we preferred the Italian.
Romantico dinner was served in the a la carte restaurant. We were disappointed in this meal, it was lobster which we usually love but when we ordered the waiter told us it may take a little longer to cook as they were still frozen :( we were expecting fresh lobster. part of mine was still raw.

Snack Bar:
This is served at the pool bar, they serve from 11am to 5pm, pannini style sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs.

BARS:
Lobby Bar has a great variety of drinks, they will prepare the virgin drinks with alcohol as well ;) Limonada Frappe con Vodka por favor! The barmen were super up here!
Pool Bar: Orlando is a hit with everyone! He remembers what you want to drink every time and if you don't know what you want to drink he'll prepare something special for you! His partner (can't remember his name) was also just as great!

POOLS:
There are 2 pools the upper and lower pools.
The upper pool is smaller, close to the pool bar and quiet.
The lower pool is bigger with a lot of chairs around. This pool doesn't have the slow walk in anymore, there are 4 or 5 ladders to enter and the shallow end is not even 3 feet deep. They play games and do water aerobics in this pool. I won the cannonball contest ;)
There is also a separate kiddie pool at the mini club.

RESORT:
This resort is set up perfectly. They have hotel style rooms, semi-detached bungalows and detached bungalow suites. Everything is close by. This resort is great for people who have a hard time walking, they have wheelchair ramps/access to most areas including the top pool. The resort if fumigated morning and night when the winds are low as there are a lot of bugs.

BEACH:
We were disappointed with this beach so we stayed by the pool. When the tide is in there really isn't much of a beach to walk but the water isn't high enough to play in it. When the tide is out you can walk for hundreds of feet with water reaching at its highest mid calf.

We went off the resort over to the Lobster shack on the beach at the Iberostar...oh my what a treat that was!!! Fresh lobster tails with fresh veggies!!!! The Lobster tails were huge!!! You can walk along a path from the resort to the restaurant or from the beach but we took a taxi there and walked the beach back.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. The staff is so friendly!!! We would definitely go back but not for 2 weeks this time, it would only be a 1 week vacation next time. Only because it is too remote and there isn't anything close by to do if the weather isn't cooperative ;).

13 Thank SusanJHC
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I just got back from my one week get-away by myself at Club Cojimar and have to say it was a great resort. At first glance it might seem a little basic compared to some of the other resorts near by but keep in mind that it is only 3 star and the price is right. I chose this resort as I was looking for sun, good beach, good food and good atmoshere. It got good reviews so I booked. I got most of what I wanted but without a few hic ups first.

The weather: The weather was so so but being January and their coldest month of the year, I wasn't overly surprised but still not complaining as it sure beat Toronto's frigid temperatures. I still managed to get a pretty decent tan despite all the clouds.

My room: Upon arrival I was not happy with my room. There was no hairdryer, the fridge didn't work and the AC was a little dodgy. After complaining to the front desk (whom are all very friendly), I was moved the next day into a nicer room with a hairdryer and great view of the beach. I would recommend trying to get any room from 111-124. These are the concrete bungalow buildings right on the beach. Don't bother with the wooden bungalows. They are dark, away from the beach and main area and full of bugs. I spoke with a few other guests and they too had complaints about their room and things not working. So keep that in mind.

The beach: The beach is quite pretty with fine white sand. The water is very shallow and clear so you can walk out very far. I didn't actually sit on the beach that much because I found I was getting bitten alot from all the little bugs there. I stayed at the pool which was usually pretty quiet and close to the bar. There was always lots of chairs to chose from.

The staff: The staff were all amazing! They were so helpful and will go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

The food: The food was pretty good. I stuck to fresh fruit and veggies and only food they cooked in front of you such as fish or chicken. Drinks were always plentiful and always enough to go around.

The gym: Very basic. Treadmill worked fine and a good selection of weights. It was never busy when I went and pretty much had the place to myself.

Internet: I used it everyday and it was painfully slow. A half hour card costs 2.25 pesos. Just be prepared to be patient.

Exchanging money: You cannot exchange money at Cojimar. I had to walk along the beach to the next resort to do this. I didn't really mind as it was a nice walk and I visited their shops while there.

Recommendations: Bring bugspray, after bite lotion, kleenex (none in the room), your own hair dryer if you rely on one like I do, peanut butter, jams, ketchup as there is none of that in the buffet area and the best thing I brought from reading other reviews was my own travel mug. This was great for coffee in the morning and then beer for the rest of the day.

General impression: Great value! Go with an open mind and if you're not overly fussy and don't need fancy, then you will love this resort.

Room Tip: If you want to be right on the beach, ask for any room between 111 and 124. I don't think the w...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank JEF123
BRACEBRIDGE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

First off I would like to say this Resort has been redone and now goes by Allegro.
I went with my boyfriend ( we are in our 20's) at the start of January for a week.
The employees at the hotel were very nice! We found the bartenders the friendliest. The servers at the buffet were good, but we found the bigger groups got much more attention at the buffet. Sometimes we would have to go get our own drinks or find our own cutlery. The buffet had good food for the most part, you could always get an omelette at breakfast and pasta and meats at lunch and dinner cooked fresh. They had lots of breads and rice, then different things each night. The A la Carte Restaurant was AMAZING! Great food and great service. They normally have 2 A la Carte restaurants but one closed because it is in the area they are still working on redoing, so they had the two different styles of meals at the one place but switched every other day. We stayed in one of the little cabins and although the beds werent the best we had no issues with it. It was cleaned very well every day. One down side was the bolt lock didn't work on the door, but you did need a key to get in the door so it didn't bother us. The pools were very nice and the pool chairs were comfy. They had a bar at the pool but it did not have a blender; if you wanted a blended drink you had to go to the lobby but that was a less then a minute walk so it was no big deal. They always had activities at the pool for all ages and music was always playing. They employees at the pool were great! They were always working hard and they did their best to make sure everyone was having a good time. Night time entertainment was okay. We watched one full show the week we were there, we went to a few others but weren't that interested. They do switch the shows every night so it just depends what you are into. One day of our trip was really windy and rainy so they moved all the pool side activities into the lobby so people would still have stuff to do. We went on the catamaran it was AMAZING i suggest it to anyone, you get to have a chicken and lobster lunch on the boat. It takes you to two different places to snorkel and also takes you to pillar beach; which is a beach with no resorts just a restaurant and bar. Another day with swam with the dolphins which was also a great experience and I would totally do it again. You swim with them for about an hour and then you go to pillar beach for lunch and then to swim for a few hours. Both great experiences and great for the price! The beach was probably the most amazing part of the trip! it was an amazing beach.
I do suggest that you make sure you bring bug spray and dont just wear it to the beach, they are all over. Small bugs you cant really see them.
Also all the staff is very grateful when you leave them gifts. We brought soap, hand cream, kids toys, hair stuff, toothpaste and they are very happy when getting these things.
Overall I highly suggest this resort!

9 Thank JENNIFER B
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

This was our second visit at the end of March 2013, our first was a year and a day before. Yes, this hotels facilities are fairly basic, but the location is extraordinarily beautiful. To be so close to nature lifts my heart, and the simple low level bungalows really make you feel you are experiencing a tropical paradise. This was by far the cheapest hotel on the Cayos and it was that fact that made our trip a possibility. We had to come back because I never got to see a Cuban Tree Rat (Hutia) on our last visit ;O)
The food at this resort was passable, but definitely not anything special. The poor arrangements of the dining room meant big queues if you wanted to have your food cooked for you, so we generally just had the chicken or the pork from the buffet. The Italian a la carte restaurant was a bit dark and dingy for my tastes, but a pizza made a nice change. The Cuban restaurant we found a bit hit and miss, we had a great meal in our first week, so the second was a bit of a disappointment.
We visited Pilar beach again this time, but only really used it as an opportunity to take some photos with the giant starfish before striking out to explore what was round the corners. We have walked the length and breadth of the island and seen Cuban Rock Iguanas, Blue Knight Anoles, Hutias, Flamingos, Spoonbills and too many other beautiful and amazing bird species to count.
Most nights we would have tree frogs in the bathroom, the largest of which lived behind the bathroom mirror. To some that might be a horror, but to me, that is a little bit of magic.
We took the speedboat trip out near the bridge, primarily so I would be guaranteed to see a Hutia, and I not only saw, but hand fed fruit to six of them. The snorkelling out in the mangroves at the end of the speedboat trip was quite exceptional in my experience of Caribbean resorts. The speedboat driving itself was so terrifyingly exciting that I screamed all the way there, and all the way back, and it was me doing the driving.
We had our usual life threatening experience when we went on a snorkelling trip from the hotels own sports shack out to 'the reef', which really isn't very special. Six of us went out on a Hobbycat and we were hit by a tropical storm and lost at sea for about an hour. We were battered by wind and rain, lost the sail and couldn't see our hands in front of our faces for the stinging rain. This was handled extremely poorly by the hotel who were very quick to declare that the sports shack was rented to the marina and not their responsibility, but a warm drink and a blanket when we finally reached dry land really wouldn't have gone amiss. We got back to the hotel to find all our belongings in the pool as they had taken down the umbrellas to save them from the wind, but no one had thought to move our things. I hope the French Canadian lady that joined us on that trip has also got over the trauma. It seems this was a really unusual phenomenon as they never have storms like that in April, we are just particularly unlucky holiday makers......
This year, we are going to Egypt as there are no affordable trips to the Cayos, but I love this place, I really do, and if I could go back, I would do so in a heartbeat,

Room Tip: We prefer the concrete bungalows to the wooden ones. They seem brighter and more spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank heartsinthecayos
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

The people were amazing to deal with. It felt like I was at home on the farm. I will go back again as long as the harvest is a sweet as this year. My cousins were very negative about this resort cuz of the price. But they were sure wrong. It was like the riders won the gray cup all over again.

• Stayed January 2014
9 Thank Darcyridersforever
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Having read an earlier review about Orlando, I had to respond. We were there for two weeks over the holidays and he immediately took my heart. What a wonderful soul! All of the staff are so welcoming and friendly, but that's part of their job. There was something different about Orlando, something special, so I was glad that my instincts were not off. To recognize travellers after a few years is amazing.
I'll not go into a huge review of the hotel other than 2 cortisone shots for bug bites was a bit of a buzz killer, no pun intended. We had paid extra for a cabin but moved on the day of our arrival because it was dank, musty, rundown, and generally unappealing. We were moved immediately to a room closer to the centre of the action. The room was bigger, cleaner, nicer, the washroom was massive, the water pressure was excellent, the air conditioning was excellent. So if you pay for a cabin, you aren't getting your money's worth.
We had some of our best times on the beach when the tide was out. I played with an octopus, found hundreds of conches, starfish, giant snails, a ton of stuff. Frog hunting at night was really neat.
Overall, if they can improve on the flow of the buffet as well as adding some menu variety including leaf salads and fresh veg, add a non-stop, kid-friendly pool snack bar, notch the maid service up a couple, turn their attention to insect control (I know it's nature but there are methods), have money exchange onsite, and learn the definition of "wake-up call", then I have no doubt they will be able to accomplish their goal of adding a star or two to their status.

Room Tip: Don't choose the wooden cabins. They haven't been upgraded.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Melia Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo
#3 of 6 in Cayo Guillermo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,125 reviews

Been to Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar? Share your experiences!