“first all-inclusive LOVED IT”

Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Calgary, Canada
“first all-inclusive LOVED IT”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

stayed here with my boyfriend in February and LOVED IT. This was my first all-inclusive so I do not have much to compare it to but i loved it so much i would go back in a heart beat. I was a little scepticle at first because of some of the reviews I read but we took the advice of some of the other reviewers and upgraded our room to an ocean view. Sooo worth it and really not that much more $$. We got one of the older bungalow type rooms that walk out right onto the beach. What a view! the room upgrade came with a bottle of rum as well which was a nice little extra. The staff are for the most part very friendly, with the exception of one or two that seemed rude. Although the room was not anything special, it worked for us fine. We did not spend much time in the room so it really wasnt a big deal. We would have liked to have the option to get a kind bed rather than 2 doubles (they werent even queens). The bathroom was bright and clean, nice big shower. Water pressure is off but thats fair considering the location. Like i mentiond, we had the beach right outside our back entrance so we didnt have to go to the main pool/ beach area. It was nice to see the kite surfers as this time of year is quite windy (but still very very hot). It was lovely to walk down the beach to the different resorts which we had to do once since our resort did not do money exchanges. My only complaints i guess about this hotel- the breakfast hours, we like to sleep in and breakfast ended at 9-10 so by the time we got up it was all over. The food was alright, nothing great. The al a carte was worse than the regular dinner. I wish they had advertised the parties more, we only found out on our last night that a bus came to the resort every night to take people to parties at different resorts. Would have been nice to experience that. One last thing, im surprised no one has mentioned it in any of the reviews. BRING YOUR OWN DRINK CUP, the bigger the better. They only have small little drink cups and we saw tons of people walking around with their own BIG plastic cups. It saves time going back and forth between the bar!
Another thing are the little sand bugs or whatever they are. They only bothered me one day when i woke up in the morning and my legs were soo itchy. but a shower seemed to help and they didnt bother me for the rest of the trip. we did bring all sorts of after bite stuff just in case.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PaulinaB800

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Port McNicoll
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort in December of 2013. They had just changed ownership and were doing some renovations but nothing that disrupted the guests. We started out with a room that had plumbing issues, sometimes the toilet would flush, other times not. We were finally given another room only to be moved again to an upgraded room because once again, plumbing issues. It turned out to be right on the ocean. What a spectacular view! (And this time no plumbing issues! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay). We don't require much and complain very little so this was a pleasant surprise.
As I said, the resort just changed ownership so the staff was new also. They had only been working as a team for 3 weeks when we arrived but it seemed as if they had been working together for years. They did everything in their power to be accommodating, especially the animation staff. They kept us busy morning, afternoon and evening. The shows were great. Special hats off to Victor one of the dance troupe. Happy, one of the animation staff made it a point to get around and say Hola to everyone.
The only thing I can say as a negative was, you had to walk out so far before you could swim, but that's mother nature. The water was crystal clear and beautiful with it's different shades of blues and greens. It was entertaining to watch the kite boarders but also a little dangerous. There are areas which are clearly defined to be swimming areas but the boarders still managed to monopolize this area, but once again inexperience of some of them and mother nature made it difficult for them to avoid the swimming area. We were even offered a free lesson from the onsite expert and some of the boarders themselves.
There is no bank on this site but you are shuttled to an adjacent hotel to use this service. You don't really need too much money as the resorts on this area are a few hours away from any town, (I believe the nearest one is Moron). The adjacent hotel Iberostar has a few shops and vendors if you want to buy souvenirs.
Food is pretty good. At least I didn't lose any weight on this trip. Snacks are offered at the pool bar and in the lobby bar ( the 24 hour bar) after hours.
I will definitely return next year, if nothing else just to see the improvements they have made to the grounds.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susan b
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The place is great. Pedro and the waitresses at the Italian restaurant are the best !!! They were constructing new buildings when we were there and the are suppose to fix things up because there are new owners..... Was there March 2013 and march 2012

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tammy M
Orono, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I took this trip with my daughter. The food was not desirable, all we ate was bread and pasta. The beach compared to other resorts was poor. The afternoon snacks which were good, took forever to get served. Spend a little more and get a whole lot more at another resort. We would never go again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Sharlene K

Travellers are raving about these Cayo Guillermo hotels

Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

my boyfriend and I took a trip to Cayo Cojimar. We wanted sun, relaxation, water and good food. and we found it all here. This is NOT the place to go if you are 20 and want to party, it IS the place to go if you want relaxation. Food was buffet and was good, home cooked food. Nothing fancy, but all fresh local dishes. (you are in Cuba....you want Thai, or mexican or kraft dinner stay home :) The staff were fantastic, the rooms clean. The beach AMAZING. We never had a problem with getting a pool deck chair. There are 3 resorts on this island (Cayo Guillemaro) and you can easily walk to them via the beach. (its quicker and prettier) There is no bank at this resort, but at the next one there is. Seriously 15 min walk up the beach. Open Mon-Fri, 9-noon and most afternoons till 3. We have already looked into going back next year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank monsterflowers
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is my second time at this resort. I only have good things to say about it.
I went in 2013 and again this February 2014, 2 weeks each time.
Renovations were made this year and the place really looks attractive.
All the employees are friendly, always smiling and ready to help if there anything.
Considering that that it's not a 5 * hotel I find that for the price you can't ask for better.
The only thing I could mention : it's suggested that you always carry some Kleenex with you, the toilet paper is not always available. But, it's not a big thing, just buy them at dollar store before leaving !!! I love this place and many people dooooooo !!!!! I will return next year !

Room Tip: I could suggest either the " habitacion " similar to a 2 sided bungalow. If you prefer a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank josee l
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Nice and clean hotel. Beautiful shallow ocean and white sand beach. Very friendly staff. Food and drinks good for the value. Pools clean and not overcrowded. Overall good place to visit for the price. Be prepare for Mosquitos and beach fly bites. That's the only annoying thing there.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs room with ocean view .
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort

Been to Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar? Share your experiences!