La Carolina Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Bijagua de Upala
See available hotels
Rio Celeste Hideaway Hotel(Tenorio Volcano National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Celeste Mountain Lodge(Bijagua de Upala)
  • Breakfast included
Heliconias Rainforest Lodge(Bijagua de Upala)
  • Breakfast included
Tenorio Lodge(Bijagua de Upala)
Rio Perdido(Bagaces)
View Hotel
Hotel El Sueno(Santa Elena)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe riverhorseback ridinghot tubwood burningother guestsfamily stylecosta ricatoucan cabinrio celesterice and beansmagical placerustic cabinevery mealexotic birdspura vidalocal womenyoga platform
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2014

It's awesome this place - in the nature directly next to a river. The own built jacuzzi is fantastic. The food and the kitchen you can look at is so familiar. We also really enjoyed to eat on a big table and the connection to the others because of that was great!
We did horse riding, the kids just love ist! Also the tour with Alejandro to Rio Celeste was so interesting and faboulous! Thank you so much to stay in such a beauty place - we will come back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had two nights here at the end of our stay in Costa Rica, and were lucky to stay in the river cabin, which everyone says is the nicest place to stay (in a very nice place!). It is, as described by most other reviewers, lovely. The place itself is lush and green, with lots of birds around. The river cabin was fantastic. Rustic but it had everything we needed (including one of the best showers we had in Costa Rica). I spent a while in the river, accessible from a platform on which you could leave towels etc or just relax. In the heat it was great to spend some time cooling down in the cold water. The food was delicious, freshly made in front of our eyes, and the kitchen staff were friendly and happy to deal with my constant requests for te negro (I am English and I need tea!). On the first afternoon I went on a horse ride with Alejandro, the resident cowboy/guide, who was really enthusiastic and happy to point out the various birds we saw. We also heard (although didn't see) howler monkeys during the ride. The horses were quiet but could be persuaded into a faster pace. It really is an amazing place to relax. We didn't go on any trips out, other than a walk up to the nearby lake to look over into Nicaragua. It was almost the end of the trip and we just wanted to relax, so we did. Karien the owner was very helpful when I was booking from the UK.
My one slight reservation about this place is the lack of a manager when you arrive. When our driver was dropping us off a lady ran out to make sure that we had reservations (the place was full) before letting him go. She then spoke to him in Spanish and he translated for us that our room was not ready but would be in about 20 minutes - this was no problem for us. We were left in the kitchen/dining area and read the guest folder, which helpfully explained a bit about the place and how everything worked. After a while, one of the other guests (Steve, a regular guest) started to speak to us. We explained that we didn't know where our cabin was and he immediately took us there. And it was lovely. I really do think there needs to be someone there who is bilingual, as, if you don't speak Spanish (and I don't think it is safe to assume that everyone does who visits the lodge), then someone needs to be available to answer questions etc. But this is really a small point when set next to the wonderfulness of the place (definitely a 5-star place). We will most definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna_Durrance_Bagale
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The best place I've ever been! It was the most relaxing and beautiful place our family has ever stayed. The food and people and peace are amazing! I could stay forever, I think. My only regret in writing on TripAdvisor is that the world and its masses will discover this place! So, trying not to be selfish--it is magical. Simply the best.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Go here. That is all. Oh, this has to be 200 characters. Okay. Well, the hosts are the nicest people in the hemisphere, and the hot tub is fashioned from the daydreams you have back home. The food is close to perfect, and they have hammocks the size of a town square.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ben S
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I had read about La Carolina for years and was determined that my next trip was going to include it - I'm so glad! This rustic farm is truly a gem and shows the best of Costa Rica. Bill and Karien are lovely hosts and provided much information prior to arrival.

Three of us stayed in the cabin above the river with a queen and twin bed, fantastic back porch overlooking the river with its own hot tub which we used every day. The cabin was kept extremely clean and the water in the tub was always heated.

The staff is outstanding and practice your Spanish if you'd like to communicate with them as most don't speak English. Juan Carlos took us horseback riding, hiking to the river and to Rio Celeste - he's a warm, friendly young man who delighted in finding us howler monkeys, frogs and trogons.

This is a birder's delight with toucans, hummingbirds, aracaris, oropendulas and other birds continually feeding in the garden.

The food was amazing, particularly considering the remoteness of the lodge. Much of it is produced on the farm and cooked over woodburning stoves.

Bill and Karien have a hidden gem that I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends