“Peaceful, good food, great value”

Van der Valk Hotel ARA
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zwijndrecht
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We bought a last minute deal for 110 euro, breakfast and dinner incl. the 3 course dinner was really good, not too much not too little just right. In the morning one can go for a run - it is really nice surroundings next to the channels.
2 minor details: the spa area is really only a sauna and a swimming pool, nothing more. Fitness area very modern tough. 'Garden view' room is more 'parking view', especially in the first floor.
Occasion to have some quality time for 2. Would go again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed there one week for business (a training to be more specific). It's probably the most peaceful place I have seen. Bright light rooms with view of a canal hosting long cargo ships and small boats as well. All surroundings are green grass which is very beautiful and quiet. You can hire a bike and go to the closest town in 15-20minutes ride. I must say it was not the most appropriate place for me if the training was not in that hotel. Because I would like to see the country since this was my first visit. I have seen almost nowhere because it's far from the city. On the other hand, it may be a good option for a romantic gateway or if you need some space to clear your mind. Room are very large having balcony and a nice and large bath tub. Hotel may have 4*s but it's restaurant deserves 5*. The food was fantastic. I never did eat outside. I tried to have as much as I can there.

Room Tip: You can pick this for a romantic gateway or to have some space to clear your mind
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel is located off the beaten path for sure, but in a beautiful location right along the river "Oude Maas" in Zwijndrecht, Netherlands. I stayed there for 4 nights late May 2013.
I arrived at the Amsterdam Airport very early (6 AM local time) in the morning from the US and was afraid that I would have to wait until about 2 or 3 PM before I could check-in.
I decided to give it a try and drove from Amsterdam to this hotel in Zwijndrecht, arriving at about 10 AM. I asked if I could perhaps check-in early since I was very tired after my overnight flight from the US to Amsterdam.
I was amazed by the fact that the answer was "of course"! They asked if I could wait for about 1/2 hour so that they could get the cleaning crew in the room to clean it up and indeed, within an half an hour, I was given the key to my room.
And all with a smile and very friendly and professional! And at no additional charge whatsoever! In addition, the ambiance, the food, the great coffee and breakfast served daily, are really very, very good. Overall; a GREAT stay! Could not have asked for more or better.
Thanks to all the staff at Van Der Valk ARA Hotel in making my stay there as good as it gets!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at Hotel Ara this weekend on a break with my partner. I loved the decor of the place- modern and stylish...the rooms were spacious and big with large open plan bathrooms that were lovely! The wet room-style shower and bath area was a great touch.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much to ask- our waiter at dinner was lovely and very attentive.

The hotel had a mini-gym on the bottom floor which was great! Good equipment and perfect for a Saturday morning work out. The swimming pool was lovely, with sun loungers dotted around. There was a sauna and a sun-bed which made the experience a little more luxurious!!

We ate in the restaurant for dinner. Food was lovely, the large restaurant felt very modern and stylish which I liked. There was decking outside which gave views of the river which was also lovely.

All in all a fantastic trip, great hotel, amazing value for money. LOVED it- would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

In a rural location, but great value for money, excellent restaurant, and full leisure centre with Gym, Sauna and huge heated Pool.close to the main motorway, but rural enough just to sit by the river and watch the ships going by all day long. also lots of nice walks in the area too.

Hotel staff could not be more friendly, and nothing too much trouble for them to ensure you have a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The Van der Valk Hotel Ara is quite isolated with nothing but nice walks and a local ferry to take you across the water to a small village, but we loved it!

Our room was large and minimalistic, but with a lovely bathroom fitted with a Shower (as well as a Bath) and comfortable beds, it all helped make our stay a memorable one. Away from the room, the hotel features a first class leisure centre with a large Pool, Gym and a Sauna with the only strange thing being the showers, which overlooked the pool and prevented you from having a proper clean up when you finished.

The Restaurant was a little expensive but extremely good quality and the bar meals were equally tasty (and unfortunately equally expensive). However, we would not have missed the experience for anything as the service was brilliant and the outlook fascinating (even better in Summer we would expect).

This was a great Hotel with the only drawback being that you really need a car to get anywhere, and it could have been even better if they had found a pianist to serenade us in the evening.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Would be hard to locate without a sat nav on arrival total tranquility room view over water was great extensive menu very clean excellent staff highly recommended would definately stay here again clean large bedroom with all facility's nice area to walk around after dinner excellent overall

• Stayed: March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zwijndrecht
Stadsdriehoek
Apollo Hotel Papendrecht
#1 of 1 in Papendrecht
Carlton Beach
#1 of 24 in Scheveningen

Been to Van der Valk Hotel ARA? Share your experiences!