“Lovely evening”

Ranked #1 of 78 Restaurants in Burgess Hill
Price range: US$7 - US$23
Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The inglenook Long bar and sofa areas make this area a cosy and relaxing atmosphere, perfect for a chat with friends any night of the week. It is a great place to pop in for a drink with a huge variety of wines, beers and spirits. For summer days and enclosed courtyard is a real sun trap with water features and foliage in abundance, making it a great place to spend some care free hours, or you may prefer the patio area which is quiet, relaxing and overlooking the comings and goings of the bar, making the perfect place to people watch! In addition, it's an ideal place to spend your lunch breaks with easy and free access to parking, so you won't be late for work. There is a great range of baguettes, wraps, salads and hot bar meals to suit your tastes. There is a huge range of hot and cold- light bar meals served from 11:00am-9:30pm as well as our main restaurant menu which will be served from 12:00pm-3.00Pm and 6:00pm onwards. The Bar and Specials menu as well as the Main restaurant can be served either in the Bar or main Restaurant, giving you great flexibility on where you would like to eat. Part of the restaurant can be portioned off and used for private functions. The focal point being an old sandstone Fireplace makes this area would provide ideal conference facilities for up to 25 people comfortably. The great oaks of England admirably sum up the nation's character of quality and solid dependability and they are what you can expect when you visit the Oak Barn Bar and Restaurant. The original 250 year old barn has been lovingly restored using old oak beams, many of which are salvaged from the great wooden ships of nelson's day. Complete with several authentic wagon wheel chandeliers, Old Sussex Sandstone and Inglenook fireplace, stained glass windows, oak floors additionally, perched charmingly above the main dining area is an oak gallery which is already a favourite spot for diners.
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I recently visited "the oak barn" for lunch with my girl friends. they were very busy with a rather large party but they still provided excellent service and great food. We will be back again.

There are newer reviews for The Oak Barn

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We visited this pretty pub/restaurant recently and have left with very mixed feelings about it.

The menu surroundings are pretty and the ambiance warm, with very attractive open fires and comfortable seating.

There are plenty of tables in the restaurant area, but if you want to sit in the bar area you need to get there early.

We have eaten here about 3 times in the last month and consistently get good food, but less impressive service.

Yesterday we asked for the fish of the day to be filleted (my step father has difficulty swallowing and only eats fish, and then only filleted fish); and were told the head could be removed, but they were unable to fillet the fish for him. This was the first time I have ever known such a request to be refused ....even the most mediocre of establishments normally employ kitchen staff with the ability to fillet a fish!

The tables in the bar normally have waiting service, but we had to draw attention every time we needed any service as it was not forthcoming. Most of the staff seemed to be congregated together near a large table chatting. The restaurant service is more responsive, which you would expect. The service lacked warmth or charm; although the staff were pleasant and not in any way discourteous.

As always, all of us enjoyed our food, which was very good and, in most cases I believe, home made.

I would say visit for the food!

mark c, Manager at The Oak Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Please accept our sincere apologises regarding your last visit with us. We always strive to provide good quality service to all customers.

Our Catch of the Day is a whole fish, which is also stated on our menu. Our chefs are always able to remove the head of the fish, however do not have the time to fillet the whole fish during a busy service. There are other filleted fish options available on our menu, which you were advised about.

Unlike many bars, we always try to aim to provide bar service, however this is not always possible during busy times. On this particular day, we had a busy bar area, as well as a busy restaurant, in addition, we also had a private function also.

When our staffs are occasionally talking to each other this is often when they are discussing the smooth operation of the restaurant sections, and what needs to be done.

As it seems that you enjoyed the food in the past, please accept our apologises and please return in the near future.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We arranged an 80th birthday lunch for my father in law last weekend. As the party was quite large we were asked to pre order our food in advance. The items marked with a red star are 'gluten free', I therefore ordered the camembert with gluten free bread to start and lamb as a main course. Two days prior to the lunch I was informed that the restaurant does not provide gluten free bread but I was welcome to bring my own. I was rather annoyed by this as the restaurant had not asked anyone else to provide their own food. They had at least two other options available to them;
1. Bake some gluten free bread or
2. Go to Tesco/Sainsburys/Waitrose (all within a 3 mile radius) and buy some.
I asked that I be provided with cut cucumber and carrot as an alternative.

When I arrived at the table I was presented with my camembert. I had to ask for the cucumber and carrot. When my main course arrived I was given a jug of gravy to accompany my lamb. I asked if the gravy was gluten free and it was whisked away at great speed to the kitchen as it was not. I therefore had my lamb without any gravy.

None of this is rocket science for a chef, many people now have dietary requirements that necessitate some extra care. The restaurant had two days notice of my arrival, plenty of time to prepare, or buy if necessary, gluten free bread and gravy.

I believe the rest of the party very much enjoyed their meals but I can honestly say that I was not pleased with mine.

The restaurant itself is lovely and the staff are helpful. We did wait rather a long while for our main courses to arrive and I had to go to the bar to remind them that they hadn't taken a drinks order from us, this was probably due to the high number of guests arriving on such a beautiful day.

1  Thank Sadlington

Please accept our sincerest apologies. We should have provided Gluten Free bread alongside the Camembert. This was a miscommunication between team members, the member of staff who had asked you to bring your own bread has now left us, and we can assure you this will not happen again.

We’re glad to hear that everyone else in the party enjoyed their meals and that you found all the waitressing staff helpful.

We do hope to see you again in the foreseeable future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My sisters and I have just returned from an evening meal at the Oak Barn. Food was great and the service was attentive. This is the first time that we have been back since we attended the New Years Eve bash which was amazing. The whole team worked so hard in order that we had the best New Years Eve possible.
Will definitely go back.
Thanks

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We celebrated my wife's birthday and 53 years married life together along with a few friends. The food was excellent, the wine reasonable, the service was attentive and not intrusive. This was the third anniversary we have celebrated at The Oak Barn. Two previous parties were with 20 guests and each time we were very satisfied, both with the food and the ambience. We will certainly go back