“The wine list is unusual, I have never seen one like it.”
Review of Hotel de Vendee

Hotel de Vendee
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“The wine list is unusual, I have never seen one like it.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I can only echo what everyone else has said, great service, great meal, good value for money. But I have never seen a wine list like it.

I had the Tavel Rose, it was very good, but the amazing thing is that ALL the wines on the list - about 14 of them, are available by the glass, by the 50 centilitre carafe, and by the standard 75 centilitre bottle. In most restaurants you can have 2 or 3 by the glass, similarly 2 or 3 by the carafe, but a lot more by the bottle. For me this is the most that anyone could do to give the customer what he/she wants.

There are two menus, one at about 14 € and the more expensive one at 24€. The cheaper one has a good choice of different meals, but it is mostly a verbal menu. The more expensive one, that we had, is 3 courses for 24€. Our 50 centilitre carafe of Tavel was 12.50€, a kir was 2.60€ and two coffees were 3.00€. Total 66.10€ or about £56.00 for two people

• Visited November 2013
7 Thank Chris S

Guernsey
“A must visit”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We were recommended to go to this restaurant by some locals with the promise of a 'proper' French meal - and we were not disappointed. The is nothing fancy about the place itself but the food was excellent (there were 10 in our party so we go to try most of the menu) and atomsphere great. However the biggest shock was the price. We could hardly beleive our eye when the bill came and it was only Euro 13.50 per head for 3 excellent courses. Why would you eat in again?

Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jimbops
Fontenay-le-Comte, France
“Wonderful, Proper, Old-Style French Cooking”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

La Hôtel de Vendée reminds me strongly of the kind of restaurants my parents used to take me to 30 years ago on holidays in France.

Before fusion cooking and nouvelle cuisine came along, there was just good cooking, using high quality, seasonal, produce and classic French technique. Trying to find this these days can be hard: it is not an approach that wins Michelin stars, no matter how much of a crowd pleaser it might be.

And La Hôtel de Vendée is very much a crowd pleaser. We've been for lunch more than once in recent months and the place is always full - it's worth reserving.

The three course lunch is €13.50. Several choices are offered for each course, but - sensibly - only a limited number of each is prepared, so don't be surprised to be told that "I have only one of X left."

The offerings are traditional. The last time we were there we both started with a salad of warm boudin blanc (white pudding - finely ground pork and chicken, milk and eggs made into a sausage). The salad was crisp and the nut oil dressing was nicely balanced.

For mains I took braised pig's cheeks with gratin dauphinois and root vegetables cooked in stock with cracked wheat. The cheeks were spoon soft and delicious; the gratin dauphinois rich and warming. Perfect. My wife hachette parmentier (think cottage pie, only French) made with duck, with which she was equally pleased.

For dessert she took a chocolate terrine and I had what was described as "dessert de chef" and which turned out to be a blend of cream, fruit and crême patissiere, both of which were superb.

For wine we chose a very nice St Nicholas de Bourgueil from the short but well chosen list. With two coffees the total bill came in at a shade under €60. Excellent value and thoroughly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Jon_Doust
Cambridgeshire
“Excellent value lunch”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Another example of great value fixed price lunchtime menus. The three course meal (with good choices for each course) was priced at 12 euros. After adding a kir cassis each, a pichet of local white wine and coffee to finish, the total cost for the three of us was 57.20 euros. The service was excellent and the staff most welcoming. We can thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited September 2011