This hotel is approximately a 35 minute drive from Naples Airport and therefore a good base to explore Naples (by train) and the surrounding areas of Baia, Pozzuoli, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Amalfi Coast (by car).
We had done our research and were aware that the hotel is up a steep hill and not within walking distance of the local town, Baia, so a car is essential in our opinion. Driving in Italy is not for the faint hearted so do not stay here if you are not a very confident driver!! Parking is free and even when the hotel was busy the car park attendant always found us a space.
The hotel itself is lovely and appears to have been recently renovated and decorated to a high standard. Our room was spacious with a double bed and large, en-suite shower room. There was a mini bar stocked with water, beer and soft drinks and the bathroom was stocked with toiletries including shaving and dental kits. The maid visited everyday and it was kept spotlessly clean. All rooms have balconies with fabulous views over the bay and Mount Vesuvius! The roof top terrace is also newly done with jacuzzi, sauna and sun loungers and even better views! A continental breakfast was included in the price and was served from 07.30 - 10.00. The hotel offers a free shuttle bus service which we used in the evenings to eat at the pizzerias on the harbour front, and also to get to Lucrino Station to catch the train to Naples.
Every member of staff we came across was friendly and attentive, from the car park attendant and cleaning lady, to the mini bus drivers, waiters and receptionists. Melita on the front desk was particularly helpful when it came to planning our daily excursions and was always quick to sort out any problems, not that we had many.
Hotel Il Gabbiano caters for large wedding parties and business was obviously booming during our seven night stay in June. There was at least one reception, sometimes two, every afternoon and evening. Noise was never much of a problem, the rooms are quite well sound proofed, and the functions never went on too late, apart from one night when they were letting fireworks off at 1pm! The downside for us was that we felt unable to make full use of the hotels lovely facilities and we permanently felt out of place in our shorts and t-shirts when surrounded by crowds of people in their wedding finery! This is only a minor complaint as we enjoyed many an evening on our balcony and on the roof top terrace, which we usually had to ourselves. One suggestion for the hotel managers if the read this - please provide toilets and bar/eating facilities on the roof top terrace for non wedding guests, I think this would prove very popular!! (I would much rather have stayed on the roof in my shorts/costume and watch the sun go down over Mount Vesuvius and Naples with a drink in my hand and something to eat, rather than have to get dressed up or trek into town for supper, or run down two flights of stairs every time I needed the loo!)
All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again on future visits (and if I hear of anyone getting married I will send them your way as it is a fabulous venue for a reception)! :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Il Gabbiano Bacoli three-star hotel is located in a wonderful natural setting, positioned on the hill peak, which dominates the Bay of Pozzuoli and Naples, surrounded by the beautiful Campi Flegrei, with a panoramic view that follows the coast Pozzuoli and its bay to Sorrento which brings together land and sea. The Il Gabbiano Hotel, overlooking one of the most fascinating in the world, in the center of the Campi Flegrei with its archaeological sites, where history blends with the beauty of the landscapes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Il Gabbiano Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ristorante Il Gabbiano Baia
- Ristorante Il Gabbiano Hotel