“An incredible experience”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Steakhouse, Grill, Fusion, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We came here for lunch last week and are still thinking about it. The food here is both classic and experimental. We had a chestnut soup unlike anything I have ever tasted and an am axing take on pasta with pest made with sage. Try the biscotti at the end. This is a very authentic place. The food here comes from the soul.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I finally managed to go there for a Sunday supper after some friends recommended me this place for long time. It's not a short drive from Rome but after having one of the best tasting experience of my life I must say that it really worth. The location is warm and welcoming, I would say family conducted, managed with true passion and dedication, focused on providing only food of the best quality. They told me that every meal is made using only organic ingredients coming from the neighborhood farmings and breedings, everything is hand made following authentic recipes and local tradition. With such a premise you can easily imagine how amazing is the taste of every single course. I tried "Pappardelle al cinghiale", "Polenta con salsicce" and their unbelievable "Mushroom soup" which is a must in this period of the year, and they all were just the best I've ever had in my life. Wine is also excellent and comes from the neighborhood cellars as well. I really recommend this place to everybody, just don't be in a hurry, take your time and ask Maurizio (the owner) for suggestions. Bear in mind that this is not a turistic place therefore approach them with respect of the huge background work and research done to give you a unique tasting experience. Price is absolutely fair and don't forget to reserve your table enough in advance.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The restaurant is located at one end of the main square, handy for the Monday market. There are lots of tables, both inside and outside in a garden area. Very good food and house wine, as you would hope to find in an enoteca. But my meal was almost completely spoilt by the attitude of the woman who served us. First, she would not allow us to sit at one of the tables by the window, although she subsequently gave all three of them away to other (Italian) customers. Then she pronounced that the dish I had chosen was not available, without making any other suggestion or trying to be helpful. Because I am wheat-intolerant and had chosen that particular dish as likely to be without wheat, I hesitated over an alternative choice, at which point she closed her notebook, hissed that she would be back later, and stamped off. We had to ask three times for some bread and decided that we just could not go through the experience of ordering from her again so left after our one dish and had ice-creams and coffees in the bar opposite.

1  Thank Walking_Scot
lifeguard1969, Proprietario at Trattoria-Pizzeria-Enocacioteca il Moderno, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Hello Ladies,
I'm the Restaurant owner and I'm trying to understand what's happened to your table that day.
I asked about it but everybody don't remember about your story. I just can tell you that if the maid didn't give you the table next to the window, it mean that were RESERVED....just for that she didn't give you, and all the people that come in my restaurant, english, africans, americans, scottish, and from every corner of the world are the same here to me.....Sorry but I'm not agree with you when you tell us that we give the tables next to the windows to the italian people, of course we are in Italy and are a lot the italian people that you find in a restaurant.....They had a RESERVATION.....About the food, we are a Gluten Free Restaurant also and I don't know what's happened to ypur table with the food. I just ask you to tell me who was to your table for understand. I also don't know if you speak italian, cos if you don't, maybe she didn't understand you....Anyway I apoligize for it if you were disappointed, and if you want help us, change your opinion on trip, after all, the food was very good how you tell me. Many thanks and have fun.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had a business lunch there. Their mushroom pasta was delicious, as well as their antipasta with grilled vegetables. I also remember very good ricotta and mascarpone dessert. Their limoncello and amaro for digestif made a very good final note.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Trattoria-Pizzeria-Enocatioteca il "Moderno" is located in the centro storico ( ancient part) of San Martino al Cimino.
My wife and I spent 2 wonderful weeks in San Martino and visited the above mentioned Trattoria several times. Absolutely fantastic Pizza (the Chef uses wood from nut trees, which gives the Pizza a special flavour). Great sirloin filet (Filleto di manzo alla brace).
Pasta are all fantastic, and so are the desserts (dolce). The staff is extremely helpful and friendly even at times, when the restaurant is full of people.
I HAVE to mention especially Nicoletta, who served us during our holiday. She is a wonderful young woman, who knows how to please the guests. She´s helpful, friendly and always there for a chat with the guests, even when it´s busy. Maurizio can be proud of her.
We had been completely content with the food, service and everything.

Susanne & Uli Fuellbeck from Germany.