“gave our room to someone else without bothering to tell us!”

Evia Hotel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marmari
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Although we had a confirmed booking for this hotel, they gave our room to someone else. Fortunately, we found out when we phoned to double check the booking. The worst thing - they didn't apologise for the fact that our confirmed booking was no longer, or try to find us alternative accommodation, but instead they BLAMED us and said they couldn't let us know because we'd given them the wrong phone number!!! Which was a lie!!! I can't imagine what would have happened if we'd turned up there with two small children and found out about there wasn't a room for us. So be warned - just because you have a confirmed booking at this hotel, you may not actually have one.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Fiona L

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I spent one night at Evia hotel & suites with friends. The location of the hotel is breathtaking and when we were driving and we saw the hotel, we were really glad we booked there.. the building seemed modern and the pool was in the edge so we knew that the photos there will be just perfect. The parking is big enough even if the hotel is 100% booked. When entering the lobby we found ourselves in a spacious area with good quality furnitures and modern enough with huge windows with view to the port. we had to wait less than 5 minutes to get to our suite..

The suite was in the upper building with a great sea view, a big veranda, a big enough bathroom, one big room and a big sitting room with a very comfortable sofa-bed. The room was clean but not spotless.. they could do some work on cleaning more often the doors and windows. Also there are no hotel amenities in the bathroom (just a soap, a shower gel and a shampoo - not the best quality) and the fridge was empty so we had to call the reception to have a bottle of water..

We enjoyed the time we spent at the swimming pool even though it was so difficult to find sunbeds and umbrella available.. this is something they can change easily.. the garden is big enough to have two rows of sunbeds so everyone could be happy!! The staff of the pool were really kind with a big smile in their face. The prices are also good for a pool bar. we noticed that the staff of the pool bar were the same who worked in the breakfast room, which is near the lobby with a beautiful veranda.. The breakfast was OK nothing special but the negative point is that even if the staff was kind they didn't have the time to serve, check the food, make coffee, cleaning the tables.. so maybe they should consider hiring extra people in order to provide a better service.

As for the check out, we asked what time we should leave the room and they informed us we could stay until 15h with no extra charge! Also, it is important to add that animals are also accepted in the hotel. As an overall it was a good experience, they did a good effort for this hotel so buy a few extra sunbeds and hire a few more qualified people to make the hotel a top for the area, which by the way is near Athens and easily accessible (we took the ferry from Stira which is less expensive and it only took us 45min to reach the port of Ag. Marina).

Room Tip: upper building suites with view to the port.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank irini_pl
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Been there twice . Maybe the best hotel in Evia island. Real value for money hotel!

Big, clean and modern rooms with perfect view to the gulf. American style buffet was served in a stylish dining room .

Every year the level goes higher and higher with prices remaining at the same or lower level!

The point is that guests will feel like home....and here you can feel it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarianKolovou
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is the 3rd time we come to this hotel and it was as if we returned home.
Personally I was surprised when I read all the negatives written on TripAdvisor but still I wanted to give it a try. Besides being a Guide Writer I consider myself a strict hotel and restaurant Critic and I carry a long experience which I gained through the years of travelling since my work demands staying in hotels and eating out all the time. I decided not to allow the bad reviews influence me at all and I came here this time alert to see if what I read is true or they are simply written to harm the business.

We had a warm welcome, and we were shown to our room without delay even if we came to the hotel at 11:00 am. Of course the room happened to be vacant so we could have it earlier but usually the keys are given at 2.00 pm. Check out time is at 12:00 midday so the cleaners would have enough time to clean the rooms before guests arrive.

Our room on the first floor this time was spotlessly clean as always, spacious with 3 beds, with an amazing view of the port in short distance and the beautiful gardens with the pool and umbrellas. I have read comments about locusts (akrides) which happened to be in the area –that by all means is not the hotel’s fault. We found none during our stay! As for people who claim about rooms being dirty or cockroaches around, I urge them to post photos to prove their truthfulness. Otherwise these rumours of such bad taste are not to be believed.
Coffee facilities are not included but I always bring my own small teapot to make my own coffee the time I want it. This time I forgot to carry it along but we had our coffee brought up in our room from the cafeteria below in less than 5 minutes. Enjoying a cup of coffee out at the balcony is really a treat!

The owners are lovely people, and even though the staff is young, they work like professionals. Guests are treated fair and you can feel the warm hospitality.
During our short stay I spent much time at the lobby working on my laptop, and I had the chance to talk with several guests who were enjoying their holidays. We even made friends out there.

We did not try the hotel’s menu as we were on B/B but breakfast was rich and I can tell that nothing was missing. There were 2 kinds of cheese, ham, sausages, eggs, jam and marmalade, orange juice and several biscuits and croissants. Of course there were seasonal fruit, cereals, milk, tea and coffee. What more could one need!

If you come to Marmari for the first time do ask the owners to give you tips of the round area. There is so much to see and do around and in short proximity.
Don’t miss the amazing sunset so try to be by the beach that time.
My only regret is that our stay was short again but we shall surely be back when we visit Marmari again.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank greekcypriot2009
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my wife for one night, as we were invited to a wedding reception at the same hotel.
We got a good rate, 50 euros for the night.
We arriveδ at the hotel to be confronted by the owner, who reeked of sweat and had a general "don;t really care" attitude.
We were given our room, which also reeked of cigarette smoke. We should have asked for a new room, but we thought it was not worth it for only one night.
At the wedding reception this owner was rude to the guests, shouted continuously at his (very polite) staff, and we later found out from the couple that he did not deliver many of the things that had been agreed and paid for.
To add insult to injury, we asked for a late checkout, the owner declined point blank, and we later found out that late checkouts for all the wedding guests had been part of the agreement...
Overall, a new hotel with a nice pool, a terrible unprofessional owner and cigarette smoked-filled rooms.
A seriously advise against this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We booked the hotel for a week at the end of August I unfortunately made the booking for the brother of my wife ( i rent a house year round in Marmari) because is convenient and close to athens. I made the booking via telephone 3 days in advance i arrived two days before and i went to the hotel the day be fore the arival to make sure that the room is fine and there are seaview rooms available. The Manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of the hotel assured me that everything is fine next day i turned up at the hotel with the client at 20:30 straight from the port the last ship arrived at 20:30 only to find out that there is no rooms and he had to stay for at least one night in a 0 star hotel in the center of the vilage. The so called manager did not have a satisfying explenation and he is unfit and definetely not qualified to manage any hotel. we left with the worst impression from the Hotel and we stayed in a much older hotel next door wich at least was managed properly from wiling and frendly people that made up for any diferences in the actual building.
Evia hotel IS NOT RECOMENTED due to very bad and unreliable service from the management.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank tas1959
EVIAHOTEL, Owner at Evia Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Dear tas1959,

we would like to inform our future guests about some inaccuracies on your report.

To begin with, you had made a telephone reservation, 5 days before arrival,giving us your full name and cell phone number ,as information needed, without sending us some money in advance though, as you should have done.

According to the Greek National Tourism Organisation's regulations , it's the hotel's duty to keep the room until 18:00 in the evening without money in advance.

The day of your arrival, you did not show up until 18:00, and even though we had made several calls to you and nobody answered we kept the room until 21:30 and half an hour later we offered the room being vested that we doing right according to the regulations.

Eventually, you came at the hotel after 22:00 and of course ,you found no room.

Even though you attacked us in a very rude way, we answered in a polite way back,telling you that we were calling you severeal times in order to verify that the reservation was ok. As a reply to our answer, you claimed that you were on the beach, no matter if we were calling you continuously from 18:00 to 21:30! Nobody from your side volunteered to call and inform us that you were going to arrive that late!

Moreover, even though this was not our mistake, we offered to find you accomondation for that one night, in a hotel the same category you finally stayed,as there is no hotel in the area at the same category with us, but you refused, talking in an extremely rude way, disturbing the peace of other guests.

All in all, before writing a review , you should know your obligations when you make a reservation.

For us, the best advertisment , is our pleased guests and the fact that in this economical crisis, our rooms are sold.

Athanasios Biniaris.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Spent there a night on a weekend getaway.

The hotel is fine with spacious rooms equipped with all necessary amenities.
Do not expect any stylish furniture and hidden lighting but everything you need is there; plus a view to the swimming pool.

Breakfast average but still OK.

On the value for money front I think it does get a good score.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank athensfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmari
Marmari Bay Hotel
Anastasia Hotel Karystos
Castello Rosso Hotel
Castello Rosso Hotel
#3 of 3 in Nea Styra

Been to Evia Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!