“Best distillery tour!”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Best distillery tour!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We've done a number of distillery tours in Scotland and this was by far the best one. The entire experience was very hands on (litterally tasting whiskey pulled straight from the cask and poored into our cupped hands). Our guide David was very knowledgable and provided great answers to all of our questions. If I had to choose one distillery tour in Scotland this would be it.

3 Thank Rush1985

Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Whisky Paradise”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I booked a distillery tour in The Balvenie for my fiancé's birthday. I am not a whisky drinker myself, but I have to say the tour was absolutely incredible! David was so friendly, approachable and knowledgeable! He answered all the questions anyone had, he chatted along as if he never had to talk about all of those things before and the fact that there was only 7 of us in the group, made the whole experience so much more personable. After a three hour tour, I was so fascinated that I even tried ALL the whiskys we were given for our tasting and genuinely enjoyed them! Of course, my fiancé bottled his own whisky straight from the cask as well!
We only had two days in Dufftown and I am over the moon I chose to book a tour at The Balvenie and not anywhere else. It was just incredible!

Motherwell, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“top tour”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

we visited macallan distillery earlier in the week then we did balvenie absolutely brilliant 10 0 clock in the morning and we began with a 60% proof malt David our guide was witty relaxed and well informed like previous reviewers we had a warehouse 24 member and if anyone had told me i would be drinking 3 cask strength whiskies from my bare hands i would have said they were nuts but thats what we did cheers hong kong eddie the 39 yr old was like nectar from the gods this was a retirement present from my daughters i wish i could be 65 every year if you go to speyside do not miss the balvenie tour it is excellent p s join warehouse 24 b4 u go

London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The best of them all”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Received a trip to Dufftown as a Christmas present from my girlfriend as she knew I'd want to visit the Balvenie! As others have said, not the cheapest (certainly not the most expensive either). We were lucky and it was just the two of us being taken around on the day by Katya. Had a fabulous time seeing how everything worked, then visited warehouse 24 and dipped to get a small bottle of the members cask (dated 1974) before heading back to the tasting room, with a longing look at tun 1401 which must be just about ready for release 10...! Got to try lots of samples, including the a few drams from the members cask which was most certainly the best. A big thank you to Katya for all the time she spent with us, and all the explaining she did. If you get to Dufftown and can only visit one distillery, make it this one!

Visited February 2014
Newport
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Our favourite distillery by far!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We had booked our tour months in advance and I advise everyone do the same.
The tour does cost £35 each but when we booked it was only £25 and they still honoured that price for us both.

We were warmly greeted by David Mair, who I was anticipating meeting for a long time after watching the Balvenie ''You Tube'' videos. We were presented with tea, coffee, biscuits in a lovely warm room with a log fire on the go.

Our tour lasted the whole three hours as promised and we saw all aspects of whisky production. From the floor malting’s, the kiln fire, the mash tuns and washback rooms. There were two huge mash tuns, one for Balvenie and the other one was for Kininvie next door. The still house had a fantastic aroma which is just indescribably nice on the nose. We did also have a ride in an old 'Land Rover' down to the cooperage which was an eye-opener.

We were let into the famous Warehouse 24 which is part of the original old mansion years ago. We tried three cask strength whiskies and I bought a 20cl sample of one. In our group of five, I was one of two Warehouse 24 members and David let us sample a 39yo whisky.

Back in the tastings room we tried five from the core range, the 39yo sample and a small tasting of the latest Tun1401. We paid in the shop at the end and I could've spent hundreds. All in all David Mair was a true gent, warm, kind, informative with some humour. I wouldn't have minded paying the new price of £35 as we thought it was worth every penny. Fantastic tour with David Mair. And we recommend it to everyone. Would we visit again? Without a doubt!

Visited September 2013