“Great Holiday”

Portinatx Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Portinatx
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I had an amazing time at Hotel Club Portinatx. The food was lovely, and the entertainers were very friendly. It was in a stunning location. All of the entertainment in the evening was funny and there was so much to do during the day. My only moan would be that there were flies everywhere. Overall I had a great holiday.

5  Thank 441chloed
Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

we stayed a week in this hotel june 24th and found it to be a lovely choice, the private beach is small but gorgeous, the bar wasn't open when we were there (except for a short time one day where we were able to get soft drinks) but the two larger beaches a short walk away are lovely with clear water and pedals etc if required .

the food was good,plenty of choice, chicken, beef, usual salads etc and the all inclusive drinks were excellent -

the short walk to the town is a leisurely ten min stroll, the only minor downside was the town was very small with nothing really to see/do, although the restaurant by there second beach was lovely with amazing views overlooking the beach and the food was good too.

only other negative was the entertainment , whilst the staff work tirelessly they provide the evening entertainment and this was dire !! the hotel could do with bringing in outside acts and this would make this hotel solo much better

would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet location with not much in way of evening entertainment.

2  Thank pixiebellsouthampton
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here 22 to 29 June with my husband and 16 year old son. Always feel with the reviews I will speak as I find and try to strike the balance of not telling you everything (because like a good film you need to find out for yourself) but saying what I think might be useful about the hotel (not the other people staying in it!!) if you are considering this hotel for your holiday,

Just a note ref a previous review from someone staying from 21 June saying the pool had to be closed frequently due to hygiene reasons - I was there from 22 to 29 June and sat by the pool every day, I never saw any evidence of this!

Anyway, the hotel is in a beautiful setting, quite isolated in that not much around it although Portinatx is a very easy 10 minute walk. Yes the hotel has a lot of steps but I knew that on booking and these are generally well marked and wide - lets face it any kinds of steps/flooring are trecharous in flip flops as flip flops themselves are a Health and Safety Hazard!!

Because it's open air and surrounded in trees there are flies and birds (as others have commented) but not that they were a nuisance!! The trees provide many shady areas, even around both pools which is very welcome instead of needing to track down an umbrella!

We upgraded from the room provided (3 single beds) to a 2 bedroom family room which was basic but spacious and clean and a beautiful spot - so quiet with sea view! Room No 44, I am the worlds worst sleeper and anything wakes me up but the combination of the blackout linings to the curtains and the quiet spot I slept from midnight to 10 am every day - fabulous!!

Due to sleeping until 10 am every day I missed breakfast every day aside from the first day but this was no problem as the snack bar served continental breakfast until 12.30 every day. With regard to the food - I saw no evidence of recycling or half hour queues as others have mentioned, the food we experienced was not just endless but also fab quality and great selection. I think even the pickiest eaters would be able to find something and the fresh pasta bar every day was lovely too.

All of the staff, with one exception which I will note below, were friendly and attentive and, as others have said, special credit must go to the entertainment team who work long, long hours yet still at the end of their day at midnight stayed behind to chat with guests and make everyone feel welcome!!

On the subject of drinks - for us, there was nothing else we wanted - every spirit, every soft drink or mixer, wine, sangria, beer, a number of cocktails and milkshakes you name it all part of the all includisive and all readily available both at dinner and in the bar. Between the food and drink we certainly got our monies worth (without being ridiculous and we didn't see evidence of anyone else being stupid with the all inclusive either) and thoroughly enjoyed everything we ate and drunk!!

At the beginning of our week we walked into Portinatx and, despite having known in advance it was a small resort, I didn't realise quite how small!! I would love to return to this hotel but purely personal choice I think my 16 year old son and I probably prefer a busier resort to walk into of an evening - this will obviously suit some people and it is NOT a reflection of the hotel!! Just bear in mind what you want out of your holiday when booking!! I would rather not drive on holiday but hiring a car would certainly rectify this as Ibiza is easy to get around!

Only negative comments/observations:

Not about the hotel - but I booked with Thomas Cook purely as they had this holiday avaialble at dates and price that suited us. The flight was smaller than easy jet - honestly leg room was ridiculous! If you have anybody over 6 ft in your party I would strongly urge you to pay for the extra leg room seats if you can afford it. Did not get invitied to a rep Welcome Party although found out afterwards that there was one! Booked a trip with rep which was cancelled with 3 hours notice so we had to wait for her next day to get refund and then found out it was cheaper to get a taxi to the Hippy Market anyway!!

Couple of things about the hotel - one night after dinner we fancied an ice cream, the freezer at the bar was locked so my son and husband went up to the restaurant which was still open to get us one each from there. The member of staff at the restaurant entrance apparently stopped them in no uncertain terms and made them feel like kids putting them back! These are tiny ice creams, and we were all inclusive!! On other occassions we saw people leaving the dining hall with enough fruit to make a fruit bowl so really unsure what the problem was with us having 3 ice creams whilst the dining room was still open albeit we'd eaten our dinner!

On checking out at 5 am the overnight receptionist claimed not to be able to find evidence that we'd paid 10 euros deposit for our 2nd room key. The money wasn't so much of an issue as the way he asked for it, demanding we know the name of the receptionist we'd dealt with the week before and produce proof we had paid this deposit! Because it was 5 am he said he couldn't do anything and had nobody to ask so we left without it and frankly a slightly bad feeling......but this is such a shame because the 2 receptionists during the day had been nothing but friendly and helpful all week!!!

Our room overlooked the 'exclusive' jacuzzi area which was barely used all week, it seems to me this would only suit real sun seekers/bathers as it's a sun trap with no shade or pool. However, in the evenings the only bar that was open and we could sit at was the show bar, this was OK most evenings as we were happy to watch the show but would have been nice to have the option of sitting either there or the beach bar and having a quiet drink. Also quite often there were no tables left at the show bar so I noticed people sitting on the sunbeds round the pool, in the evening just to have a quiet drink - shame they had no other choices!

The Beach Bar - was rarely open, infact we only saw it open once during the week we were there, maybe this is open all the time in peak season?

Adult pool - really needs a bar of at least a soft drinks machine because its quite a walk (OK, not a hike but we were on holiday) to get a drink!

Overall, at the beginning of the week I was a little disappointed with the resort and wondered if I or my 16 year old would get bored. By the end of the week we had found the hotel to be the perfect spot for rest and relaxation in beautiful surroundings with amazing food and drink and the ease of not having to pay anything extra for it!

10  Thank helenmp40
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have been to many all inclusive holiday resorts, but as they go this is one of the best for value. The food was exceptional. Plenty of choice, freshly well cooked mains, salads to die for and don't get me started on the puddings. No trouble with queuing, short queue for the hot options, but no problem. Always at least four or five options on the hot choice, paella, fish, and at least two meats. Always cooked fresh in front of you with two or three chefs working away inches from you. Salads varied and fresh and always a chef watching and refreshing as needed. Nearly missed the pasta option tucked around the corner, but the pizza is good and fresh. Then the puddings…. all inclusive usually don't have good pudding, but this one does, you could taste the different flavours (makes a nice change) and they even put on a special evening with extra local puddings…. gone in a flash… lovely… now got to loose that extra weight….

The resort itself. Well run, loads of staff, especially the cleaning and maintenance staff. They were everywhere and the rooms, although basic and a little tired, were always cleaned and looking nice. The maintenance was very good, freshly painted, gardens well kept, swept daily and any problems sorted very quickly. No rubbish lying around and plenty of bins everywhere.
Pool was nice, although as usual, a bit crowded with kids (under fives only this time of year), but they did have another quieter pool tucked away which you could use. I can understand that it may be a bit different in school holidays, but lovely sandy safe beaches within five mins walk.
Entertainment staff worked there socks off providing shows etc every night (all over by 11pm ish). They also doubled as kids club, beach staff and tournament organisers and would also stop and chat.
Receptionist helpful and friendly. Bar staff the same.

The hotel was mainly, German, Dutch and Italian, with some French and East Europeans. The english were in the minority, so a much nicer atmosphere, no shoving and pushing for drinks, no drunkenness, bad language or aggro like we have found at other good budget all inclusive hotels.

The position was great, lovely area with lots of little beaches and inlets, far away from the other (noisy) Ibiza. Hired a car and had a few boat trips and saw most of the island, which was lovely.

All in all a very good holiday and I would recommend this resort to everyone Obviously, at busier times of year it may not be the same, but then where is. You have to say it as you find it.
I don't know where the bad reviewer went, but it certainly wasn't here….you would have to be very very very fussy not to have liked it…. as you can see from the majority of reviews..

As I said before, we have done lots of all inclusive budget hotels, but this one goes to the top of the list and will be hard to beat.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room or the view, then tell them..they are very accommodating.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dollygirl55
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Club Hotel Portinatx. My wife and I stayed 2 weeks (May 10th – 24th) at this hotel. There is no doubt it is in a lovely position which is one of its few plus points. Sadly it is in need of sorting out many of its poor points, which whilst we were there many complained about and said, ‘They would not return’.
Basically the hotel is on a steep hill coming out of the hotel itself and a steep hill going down into Portinatx – OF COURSE WE ALL KNEW THAT WHEN BOOKING THE HOLIDAY The hotel could make it so much easier if they opened the locked gates they have on the way down the hill and also there is one on a gravelled area overlooking the sea. If they simply allowed access like some hotels do with a key or swipe card to these exits it would make it so very much easier for their guests to walk into Portinatx. It is a fact that the hotel do know that many guests of all ages try and climb over the walls which are quite high and single breeze block and could quite easily collapse just to cut out a lot of the hill – surely this is a stupid situation that they should be ashamed of. In fact our room was just a few yards from an exit gate they had workers there for over a week making it more inaccessible!! Instead we had to walk several hundred steps to the main hotel and then the steep hill to get out of the hotel grounds – it felt like you were in prison – all these exits – but all locked.
In over 50 years going abroad our room was probably the smallest we have ever stopped in. Very basic, part of a row of a single storey block – the door to the room had all gaps on the actual door where the planked wood had shrunk – you could see daylight and many insects made their way in through the gaps.
Well the food I don’t really know how to answer the people whom are saying it is good although I have got to admit that a lot seemed to enjoy the food going by the amount piled on their plates – but there were many complaints. The ‘bacon’ at breakfast which was served 3 or 4 times a week was an apology for bacon never got a rasher of bacon it was mostly fat just cut into tiny strips which were virtually uncooked or just flashed for seconds on a on a griddle plate and placed in a white dish with another behind. On my last day the white dish had the usual tongs in, however someone had spotted like me that the dish behind for the first time ever had a few little strips of this bacon that looked cooked. Subsequently they had some, and used the tongs from another dish but left them in with this bacon. I used these to get these few pieces of slightly browned bacon bits – the chef grabbed my hand and accused me of taking the tongs out of the tinned frankfurter sausage dish and using it when not allowed in this bacon dish – very sharp and aggressive and humiliating – what a horrible man. Much of the food was very undercooked – burgers were either fresh or more likely defrosted – to cook the chef simply pressed them down on the hotplate – flipped them over all within seconds – they were raw. Even those he managed to cook when the queue for food was quiet were piled on a plate which was swimming in blood. This applied to the thin frying steak which rarely appeared but was raw and tough. Even the fish was cooked same way placed on hotplate flipped over then on your plate. The so called beef stew was a container full of what looked like microwaved or boiled beef cold. There would be a container of bubbling gravy which he simply added the beef to, I tried some but could not chew it was almost pure gristle. Pastries in the morning e.g. croissants were tiny and came out of a polythene bag and were just soft and horrible. Most of the vegetables pea’s beans etc. contained bits of ham so was simply not suitable for vegetarians. The salads were probably the best and sometimes quite good, but everything was recycled and even many of the mixed salads had bits of meat in which you did not expect – which again was problem for vegetarians. The selection of cheese was usually quite good and we relied on this a lot. Something else which should be rectified people kept asking what the food was as there are no signs you had to guess – lady sat near us a vegetarian who ate fish thought her breaded item was such – but it was a very thin slice of chicken. I trained as a chef and have kept many pubs and restaurants in my time and was very unimpressed with the food and what I could see what was going on. I don’t expect top quality for a 3 star hotel but this was the worst I have had in this star rating. Indeed the 3 star hotel I went to at Es Cana for another 2 weeks just a few days after this holiday was a world apart from this and quite fantastic.
There is a snack bar near the stage area during the day with an assortment of burgers hot dogs, toasties and salads etc. The lady in charge was really nice and pleasant and cooked your burgers with all the extras etc. to order which although I am not a burger fan I thought they were quite nice.
The bar staff some were brilliant but some were unpleasant and rude but they tended to serve you quite quickly when there was often a very long queue. Drinks were served until 7.30pm in 1/3rd of pint plastic cups – glasses after this but beer glasses still very small – it was not the best of beer either Cruzo Campo.
Entertainment at night – well if you like mimed shows with dancing you will like it but basically that is what you get plus the odd silly type games Men versus Women etc. No visiting professional cabarets at all – although one of the dancers in charge did say she was a professional and had done a university course in dancing!!
But I must admit particularly the 2 young and very nice girls worked really exceptionally hard doing the shows in the evening and during the morning and afternoon they ran a well organised kiddies club plus much more and were well liked.
The hotel gardens are beautiful with some lovely plants and impressive old trees. All the many hundreds of steps had a green non slip paint and white edging to the steps which helped quite a bit. The beach bar was just open for a few hours 11am until I pm but they extended it for another hour or so on the second week. Lovely elevated areas overlooking the little beach which was very pleasant and pretty with great views across the bay to Portinatx. A great service for many was the free use of the kayaks (canoes) and the guided trip around to Paradise bay. All in all it was lovely just sitting there watching the activity on the beach and some wonderful scenery sitting there with your 1/3rd of pint of Cruzo Campo beer – no spirits served here – just sangria – soft drinks and beer.
The swimming pools are nice one large family pool newly tiled and refurbished the smaller one a short walk away. There is also Wi-Fi but it will cost you18 euros a week but it is a reasonably strong signal and you can use it even in your room.
Another bonus for those that like their wine there are litre carafe’s of red or white wine plus sparkling you can help yourself to in the restaurant or just pour a single glass, or of course there was beer, soft drinks or water – but there was a downside they nearly always ran out of glasses.
The hotel is a lot bigger than you think and can get very busy and noisy plus a shortage of seats we found this so on the 2nd week which was bank holiday and the schools were off.

Room Tip: Be sure you are reasonably fit as when you are allocated your room there are often over 100 steps to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dylandragon
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Traveled to this hotel at the start of June for 8 days all inclusive with my wife and 2 children. We are just an ordinary family looking for a nice relaxing holiday for a decent price, that's where it ends with Club Hotel Portinatx. Basically once they get the booking and the payment all attempts at decent customer service go out the window.

The reception staff are intermittently rude depending on the time of day, sorry but I really would prefer not to pay for somebody to be rude to me as there are plenty around the pool who can do it for free!?

The bar staff are like something from the Walking Dead, sorry I don't mean to be cruel but there must be something seriously lacking in management if they are permitted to do their jobs the way they do which is basically with as little effort as possible. Unfriendly, miserable, and in dire need of an upgrade.

The animation team must get probably the only possible positive comment, they are friendly, hard working and make a huge effort with the guests and the children. The evening shows are presented with gusto and full of energy albeit one or two which were a tad cringeworthy. Whoever is running the entertainment side of things deserves a pat on the back.

Whoever is running the kitchen needs to taste the food more often. Fresh is definitely not the case all the time and you get the distinct feeling that the corners are being cut wherever possible to increase profit. As with he drinks, ok I get the plastic glasses and the need for them but why don't the hotel invest in some suitable for adults?? who have paid?? money??
Insulting really, again it's the 'have your money don't care' attitude that really got under my skin and got worse as the week progressed. Quality of drinks are poor to average with zero effort again.

In my opinion the owners reckon the location and facilities are enough to keep people happy so after that it's every man for himself. Surely they understand the importance of repeat custom?? Here's some advice: start treating your customers like adults who have chosen your establishment to spend their hard earned money and be bloody grateful for it. Making people feel good goes a long way in improving their experience, teach most of your bar-staff some manners and curtesy or replace them. I'm not looking to be bowed down to quite the contrary, I just expect to feel good on my holidays. I did not....don't waste your money here, go to Portinatx but stay somewhere else. El Ciguena is a family run place with no frills but so welcoming and friendly it's worth 10 of this place.

5  Thank Shaitan1212
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here in May for a week, the last half of the holiday was in half term. We travelled with family and friends in a group of 8.

Firstly the holiday was great value, we booked the room directly with the hotel and upgraded to the renovated rooms. The hotel setting is lovely, the pool and grounds really are beautiful. Private beach lovely with lots of fish around. It was a little small but private so pluses and minuses. Its a shame you couldnt see the view across the bay from many places in the hotel as once you were down on the beach it really was beautiful. Swimming pool great for everyone with also a smaller quiet pool as an option. Our room was number 2 over looking the bay and was great. The rooms have been upgraded slightly and are more modern than the other rooms however quite small (although not in there much at all so doesn't really matter) also i couldnt help but think they had renovated but on the cheap. Still had shower curtain and hardly any light in the bathroom at all which left it feeling a little dingy even though was all new. A few touches like a mirror over the dressing table and things like that would have made all the difference. Rooms were kept spotless though which was great. We used the terrace for the upgraded rooms once or twice, hard to get sunlougers and with our family having children with them they couldnt come in so mainly stuck to the big pool. It was a nightmare to get loungers here also though.

Entrance lobby and bar area are a little tired, chairs and furniture not very comfy and i didnt really like to sit in there. Bar was very busy and they gave you tiny glasses leading to people ordering lots of being constantly up and down. As someone else mentioned bar staff not that friendly and a little on the grumpy side at times! Food was ok, there was always lots to choose from but were few days where really wasn't too inspiring. Its hard to feed and please that many people in a busy hotel and the cooks all did a great job, i have had worse food on an all inclusive but also better too. Again though it goes back to cost of the holiday and hotel is only 3 star so as long as you go with that in mind shouldn't be disappointed.

Portinax is a beautiful place and we walked down into the town most nights, beaches are beautiful some of the best i have ever seen. Perfect for couple, families everyone. Theres a good coach service into the old town too, just a shame they dont come back very late so we got a taxi back. Well worth a visit though has some lovey shops, restaurants and amazing boats in the harbour. Lots of good bars too.

We had a great holiday, we are returning next year same week in May but will be giving the El Greco a try.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jaderumsey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinatx
Barcelo Portinatx - Adults only
#13 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Bellamar Hotel
Bellamar Hotel
#4 of 97 in Sant Antoni de Portmany

Been to Portinatx Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!