“Dirty and shabby”
Review of Club Vista Bahia

Club Vista Bahia
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Portinatx
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were pleasantly surprised that they offered food and drink in the restaurant even though we arrived at around 3 in the morning.

Quite a lot of steps. Positioned on a hill.

We stayed in room 217:
Electrics did not work. Only 2 light switches seemed to work. Dodgy electric points. No outside light.
Shabby room, smelt damp. Later realised that the bathroom ceiling leaked everytime upstairs had a shower. Thought our air con was broken but was shown you have to close patio door for it to work. When it did work not very powerful at all even on the highest setting. There was a ceiling fan in the bedroom which made it more bearable. Squashed mosquitos on the walls. Broken handle to bedroom window.
Room positioned on the bottom front row so annoyingly everytime someone walked past the room they would look in. So no privacy. We seemed to be on the main rat run everyone took to go and come back from the restaurant.
Maid service was poor. Didn't seem to get to our room until around 4 pm. Bed sheets were never changed. Fresh towels were forgotten on one day so had to ask reception for them. Only reason they were took away was because we placed them in the bath. Didn't regularly replace them. Stained curtains to the patio window. Bed settee had cushions missing. Broken and dirty grout in floor tiles.
We complained several times about the room. The switches got fixed and the window lock but the leaking bathroom ceiling did not.
When you sat on the toilet you got dripped on!!

Both pools were noisy and crowded during the day. Sun beds old and uncomfortable. General pool areas seemed dirty and shabby. Cigarette butts, litter.
Didn't seem to be enough staff to keep up with clearing up after guests. Though only rarely saw staff actually clean up.
Typically not a lot of staff so three staff they do have do work hard.
Probably don't get paid a lot to do their job either.

The hotel does have a fantastic position. You can go down to the sea front which is rocks not beach but there is quieter sun beds down there. You can swim in the sea off the rocks.

When dining in the restaurant this has an amazing view of the sunset at night if your lucky to get one. Tacky white plastic chairs and tables outside though.
Restaurant was unbearable with the other guests not being patient, children left to their own devices and they all semmed to act like they had never eaten before even though there was plenty to go around. Jumping ques and general rudeness.

Good position like I said but the hotel overall was shabby and dirty.

Food was standard. Breakfast possibly the best out of all. Choices at lunch and dinner as a non red meat eater was not good, I pretty much ended up eating pasta, rice and chips every day.
Pool bar served drinks and food in the day. Constants ques again, only one man serving. Everyone seemed to gorge on the burgers and toaties served.

Location of the hotel is quite remote. Portinax village was a fair walk away but luckily we had hired a car and could get out and about.
Other residents of the hotel did do the walk.
We went out every evening to different places instead of staying in the hotel. Did not like the thought of staying in the hotel every evening. Most of the guests seemed to gorge on the free alcohol which you had to que at the bar for every time. So quite a lot of loudness and drunkenness.There was entertainment. They had Spanish dancers one night but didn't stay round for long to find out any other nights.
Mix of French, Spanish, German and English guests.

Last day we wanted to extend the room as we did not fly until 2am the next day. This was not an option. There was also no room to freshen up in later. Only positive thing was we could still use the facilities and eat and drink until we left.

Would not choose to go to this hotel again. If it was modernised, refitted and smartened up then maybe yes but would not give this hotel a 3 star at all.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We have just come back from a 10 day break at the Club Vista Bahia Hotel, we had read the reports before we left so we went with an open mind.

This is advertised as 3 star but its not much better than a 2 star so bear that in mind if you're going here.

2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 3.

We arrived at 11am but our room wasn't ready until 2pm so we got changed in the public toilets and went down to the pools. No sun beds available but I found 2 near the children's club so spent the afternoon there.

If you're after the sun then the lower pool is probably the best place to lay, suns on this level by 9am and doesn't drop behind the trees until well after 6.30pm so you can get a good 9-10 hours sun bathing.

We booked a family room and were given room 006, the lowest level and very close to the pools. The room was dark, damp and smelly. Air Con didn't work properly and just recycled the warm air. We decided to put up with the room as we were only sleeping in it. However, after the 3rd day we had sewerage coming up out of the bathroom floor drain. I went to reception and demanded to be moved. The young blonde receptionist was very helpful but unable to move us as she said the hotel was overbooked. Maintenance came and fixed the flood very quickly and also fixed the air con. Cleaner came and re-cleaned the room plus clean towels. Not a lot we could do about moving rooms if they didn't have any - only choice was to move to another hotel but that was going to be expensive so we stayed on. This was the worst part of the holiday.

I have disagree with many peoples comments re the food - we ate at the hotel every night and there was always a good choice. My wife is a fussy eater but she always enjoyed the food. The menu is repeated weekly so if you are here for 2 weeks then I can see why you would say it is repetitive but to be honest the choices are very good for a 2 star hotel. I would even say the food here was better than our recent trip to an all inclusive in Sharm el Sheik.

It is probably true to say the pool areas are a bit messy and yes there are lots of plastic cups lying around - but I would blame the holiday makers for the mess, not the hotel. There are lots of signs asking patrons to put their empty cups and plastic plates in the bins provided - but we saw lots of lazy guests leaving their empty cups etc under sunbeds to blow around the pool, at times I found myself picking up other peoples cups and rubbish just to keep the area tidy. Children were the worst - give them a pot of ice cream and they throw the lid and empty container on the floor - that's the parents faults for not teaching them to put rubbish in the bin.

We did have to reserve sun beds, but everyone does so you end up joining the norm. I did see beds reserved but unused all day.

The pool bar was busy at times but serves a good range of drinks and spirits - food is limited to toasted sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs. However, the main restaurant opens at 1pm for lunch and again there is a good choice.

Portinatx was a lovely resort and we enjoyed our time at the beach and local bars - lots of shops and a bank with cash machine plus taxi rank and buses. I would definitely go go back to Portinatx but not to the Club Vista Bahia - Next time it's the Marconfort-El-Greco.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the low level rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just had a week here with the family, lovely quiet place no surrounding clubs bars etc, the view was amazing and the sunsets too, our room was right on the top of the complex 127 steps!!! OMG thought I would die walking up and down in the heat, but it was worth it as our room was one of the better ones, new tiles in bathroom lovely big balcony and the view amazing, so put up with the steps and toned the legs!! Some people had awfull rooms we were told they were damp, smelly and like little holes!

Pools - not the cleanist we have been too, the top pool was the cleanest, but people were letting their children eat ice cream etc in the children pool which didnt help, saw them clean the area every day of cups but wash it down a bit more and it would of been better! One pool had hair floating around it too which made it upleasant, think the filter wasn't even working or turned on!!
People grabbed sun lounger before breakfast, not hotel fault but should be a bit stricter as 3 beds had towels on but not used all day!! The loungers were uncomfy and could do with being replaced.

Food - Not the best every day was chips with no other variety of potato, rice and salad which was fine, always a fish dish and meat but not a great choice, Asian night was the best night, always fruit and wine and beer/soft drink help yourself whilst eating, Paella most night with Pizza the odd occassions, you wont starve but very repetative.

Entertainment - MMM!! reptile show the best but always started so late and you couldn't get a table to sit anywhere either.

Rooms - Air con didn't do much, towels changed 3 times, bedding NEVER, asked but it wasnt done, maintenace man came right away to fix air con first day, the water kept running out for some reason, my hubby was half way through shaving and no water!! so he couldnt shower!! cleaner came every day and did a fairly good job but could of been better.

Staff - Older blonde receptionist VERY RUDE, younger one was lovely and the darker haired lady too, night reception man very friendly and hlepfull too. The twins who were everywhere but pool bar were great and went out of their way to help so did all the waiters/waitresses, (our daughter only drinks milk so they always went and got some for her) Lau at the pool bar worked really hard, he should of had help though, he worked with no break all day some days!

All in all if they had more staff, (apprently new owners and no money so staff were laid off recently) cleaned the pools and surrounding pool areas, spent some money on decorating and doing the place up i.e. broken lights in communal areas and general things the place could be amazing.

Portinax a short walk away a bit hilly in places, beaches were litle coves and we taught our youngest to snorkel there, lovely little place, with pedlos, boat hire etc, and some VERY RICH people in their lovely boats! (NOT JEALOUS!!)

The hotel is NOT the best place we have been too and I am glad I only booked one week, I am not fussy but would expect a little bit more than what we got, we met some lovely people, had a good time as your hols are what you make it at the end of the day, had a few vodkas!! and enjoyed Protinax.

We took the little train ride too which was good fun, took us to caves and showed us a bit of the island, went exploring in the woods behind hotel, which was a laugh and the views amazing.

All in all I would NOT go back to this hotel and this is the first time I have felt that way about a holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for top rooms if you can manage all the steps much better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the worst holiday of my life. This is my first negative review and I rarely moan. To summarise the issues: mould on every wall tile, cheap plastic £4.99 shower head, stench of faeces in room and across resort, no sun loungers - people claim with towels before breakfast and they have no head support or elasticity - you can feel the plastic tubes in your back, kids in all pools despite having adult only pools, one staff member at bar, broken and raised floor tiles in room which were not fixed, towels changed once and taken away because they have no second set and wait a day for them to dry, poor food, shocking room layout and access/egress - families were using tables to barrier off the stairs from the balcony which is the only door - our room had no door as you entered through the balcony doors, dated and unusable facities and most facilities come with an exra charge. Horrible reception staff who are of no help and when I asked to move they said 'no the room is nice and a picture is a picture' when I said the images on the website were misleading. This is a dangerous hotel and I am writing to them as I believe it breaches Spanish safety law.

2  Thank Mr-magz
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say to the people on here saying "if you want 5 star, pay 5 star" to that I do agree, but people understand this is a 3 star when they book it...if you have saved all year to go then it can be very disappointing, that aside...you do expect 3 star standards...of which I don't believe this hotel gets anywhere near to:(
The location of this place is outstanding a 5/10 min walk away from Portinax (although a bit hilly) lined with beautiful views...so to me this was perfect, peaceful...no karaoke from the bar next door or loud drunken people... Total peace and quiet. The views are outstanding...and sunset view amazing
The staff are friendly (apart from one of the receptionists who was just rude) so sweet and cannot do enough for you, I feel for them as they have a hard job on their hands. There is nowhere near enough of them and their resources limited that is one of the reasons for the low standards around the place
Everything is broken!! Sun loungers...umbrellas...showers...light fittings...everything!!!
This place is filthy in the communal areas and plain disgusting..alge and sludge around the pool, fag nubs, cups...stains on the floor from drinks the night before, just horrid and at times a little unbearable...the coffee machine in the bar has never been cleaned since it was put in..never been hygienic. I'm not a fussy person but I've stayed in 18-30's cleaner than this place
By far the worst thing is the food...grey meat...brown salad...uncooked cottage pie and sprouts (who wants that in 35 degree heat) chips that I'm sure were from the day before, I went some days not eating at all as it made me feel a bit ill, I stayed at a 3 star in San Antonio and the food was 100% better...yuk..we had to eat out most of the time
The room in my opinion was fine..basic, maid was lovely...great view, but think we had one of the better ones as heard some of the lower ones have damp
All in all this place is screaming out for and investment!! Please please please if you are reading this and looking for an investment!! This is the place...it could be amazing the location is so unique and staff so loyal it's a crying shame....it really is:(
Portinax is an amazing place, I will be going back, beautiful, quiet, great bars restaurants and not in your face...I unfortunately won't be going back to the Vista Bahia
I hope if a few years I hear it has sorted itself out as it has amazing potential.....

1  Thank louweb
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week away at the vista Bahia, I'll start with the positives. I found the views and location very breath taking and the staff work extremely hard with very limited resources. Room we had was fine. I think we got one of the better rooms to be fair. Unfortunately the bad bits out weigh the good, the cleanliness of the overall place is not good, mainly down to amount of staff and the hours they work. Our room was very clean and cleaned everyday. The worst thing about this place is the food, we ate out 5 days out of 7, that is something we did not budget for. Anyone that says don't expect 5 star, for 3 star prices..... We did not expect 5 star and have stayed at many 3 star and 2 star hotels which overall is better than this ....... I just wish someone would invest in this place because it could be 5 star... If you have booked go with an open mind and just try and enjoy.

3  Thank Paul-Davo
Reviewed 22 August 2013

A balance is required , yes there r issues , number of staff is the main prob no restaurant mgr creates its own probs yep the pool needs better cleaning the rooms r basic but how long r u in there ?? The view from the bar is fantastic but bloody hot !! The older receptionist loves saying no .. So b prepared with an amount of investment it could b so much better would I go again ???? Prob yes but it has limits be prepared so make your own mind up JD u want 4 star don't go if u easy go lucky enjoy ????

4  Thank Stevegbag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinatx
Barcelo Portinatx - Adults only
La Ciguena
La Ciguena
#4 of 9 in Portinatx
Portinatx Beach Club Hotel

Been to Club Vista Bahia? Share your experiences!