“Do not stay here.. Health hazard!”
Review of Club Vista Bahia

Club Vista Bahia
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Portinatx
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Sunday the 10th of august, around 2am in the morning, so the hotel was pretty quiet. Greeted by 'Matthew' who took our passports & wouldn't give them back until the next day, weird we thought! He pointed us upstairs for something to eat & drink; polite :) only to find, stale bread & stale ham; clearly been there since lunchtime, and drinks? Cleaning fluid out the drinks dispensers! So we gave up on that and went back to our room (221). When we walked in there was a strange smell, very strange, like damp, mould & dodgy cleaning fluids all mixed into one! I've posted a few pictures of the room so you can see what state it was in! The whole room, ceilings, walls, furniture, all damp! And it absolutely stunk! I hung a jacket in the wardrobe, took it out, and let's just say! It wasn't wearable! The next day we went for breakfast; expecting bacon, sausages, the usual deal. Yes there was bacon & sausage, just not the pork kind! It was vile, the food just wasn't edible. We booked this holiday all-inclusive, and throughout the week, we ate in the restaurant 3 times. And drank from the bar once! The food just isn't good at all, the chicken tastes like fish & the fish tastes like chicken! It's a 3 star resort, the travel agents when we booked were all 'you'll love it! It's a beautiful place! You'll have a great time' NOT QUITE. The scenery is beautiful, absolutely breath taking! Rocky beach & the sea is gorgeous! Regardless wether it's a 1,2,3 or 4 star resort, it should be clean! Our room was a disgrace! There isn't much happening throughout the day, we couldn't get a sun lounger at all, there were people laying on towels on the floor, it's understandable that it's the middle of the school holidays & it'll be busy, but wow. Putting towels on sun loungers the night before?!. We spent every day down at Portinatx beach instead, which is a 10 minute walk from the resort :) beautiful place! Gorgeous beaches! Food is lovely! & the alcohol doesn't taste like paint stripper :) if you want a sun lounger & umbrella, it's 15 euro's. That's for two sun loungers & one umbrella, all day, which isn't a lot really, in fact it's nothing because the difference between our hotel & Portinatx is unreal! What next? Oh the bad mannered staff :) the lady on reception during the day, long brown hair, Spanish.. Please don't ask her to do anything for you, as it's an inconvenience! I tried on two occasions to complain to reception, first time, it was 18:00 when we got back to the hotel after being at Portinatx all day, our room hadn't been cleaned (for the 3rd time)! So after waiting at reception for 20 minutes, nobody was around, I saw a cleaner on my way back to the room, she came and sorted it, which she wasn't very happy about; but the rooms should be cleaned, and the towels should be changed, they wasn't! And toilet roll? I'd put some in your suitcase because once it's gone, it's gone, unless asked, they won't replace it!On the day we were leaving, I went to reception, 9am, to ask if we could keep our room on as we wasn't leaving the hotel until midnight, and check out is 12:00pm. She said 'no', just no, no paperwork, no checks to see if it was available, NOTHING! So she said you can have a half hour slot to shower in another room before you leave, which was great so we said yes please, 18:30 :) so! 18:30 comes.. Where were we sent? ROOM 221! The room we've been in all week which was free all day as we were the first & last ones to shower! Now to me that's just spiteful! It had been raining all day on leaving day 'Saturday the 16th' we had to sit in reception for 12 hours! And they were quite happy to sit and watch! Around 9pm we went outside to sit on the balcony behind reception before we left, the snack bar, straight opposite by pool two.. RATS! Yes rats, coming from the bushes on the left hand side, in and around the snack bar. So mould, damp, rats, food that isn't edible, alcohol that all tastes the same (paint stripper) & staff that are just rude! would never stay here again! We are going to go to another part of Ibiza, because this whole week has been a complete & utter waste of time! Instead of coming back from a holiday & feeling refreshed, we feel terrible! Chest infection, sickness & headaches! I've never been happier to see my front door! Just avoid this place completely, it's such a shame because the hotel has massive potential, but by the looks of things over time it's just been pushed further and further into the ground! Thomson have got a lot of explaining to do first thing Monday morning! We paid £1,400 for this holiday, which was a complete joke! Because we booked all inclusive, which we didn't use! Overall it's cost just over £2,000 with the holiday cost plus whatever it's cost us on food & drink down at Portinatx, if we wanted self-catering we would've booked self-catering! Absolute rip off, and the place is a joke. Thomson if your reading this, in fact anywhere, just take this place out of your brochure! Health hazard!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephaniie B
There are newer reviews for Club Vista Bahia

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Such a shame. This could be such a delightful place to stay and if someone spent some money - a lot of money- it could be truly lovely. I had read the reviews before I left so I my expectations were not high! It wasnt all bad I have to say. I found my room spotlessly clean - the maid was lovely and helpful - fresh towels not a problem - if you asked politely!The view is gorgeous - you dont get that sort of view very often - i know - i travel a lot!
The food was actually not that bad! They even try to cater for most English tastes- Lasagne- cottage pie-chips! The paella was lovely and the wine was adequate.Just the standard all inclusive you can find in most establishments in the Mediterranean.. Even though the hotel was full- I managed to get a table on the terrace at every mealtime.However - I heard a lot of people complaining about the food and everyone I spoke to said they wouldn't go back to this hotel. I would -I think!
Very understaffed - table didnt get cleared of empty plates as quickly as it should be but they did appear to be very understaffed. Only two barmen on at night - really? At peak season?Good job the British have a reputation for queuing. However - those 2 barmen ( one night there was only one) worked hard and cheerfully.
The entertainment at night was really poor - mainly aimed at the kids who were still up and running around at 12 midnight.
Not easy to get around either in or out of the hotel but it is a very pleasant walk down to the beaches which were beautiful - i didn't feel confident about making the journey down at night though which is a shame as I like to stroll out in the evening to take in the local atmosphere. Taxi back from Portinatx wasn't cheap like some other resorts - but necessary - its an uphill climb to get back to the resort.
As i said before - I am lucky that I travel a lot so this wasn't too much of a problem for me. However - if I had saved hard for my 1-2 weeks in the sun on my only holiday of the year - I would've been massively and understandably disappointed. .
So , whoever owns this hotel- think again!Spent some money -sort out the dreadful and totally useless air conditioning,invest in some decent sunbeds and parasols. Improve the decor make it a chic and welcoming place that compliments the natural beauty of the place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tlulu
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Oh dear! Where do I start? We booked a 5 night stay at this place as a last minute getaway, & having read mixed reviews on here, decided to make our own minds up. Situated down a very steep access road, it looked quite nice at first glance. We booked in & made our way back up the hill to our room, where first impressions soon faltered when I saw the light shade wedged in place with a piece of cardboard & the outside light fitting was hanging out in its wires! various cracked floor tiles with potentialy dangerous sharp edges were a hazard to avoid too. I pulled the sheet on the bed back to reveal an old torn mattress & a pubic hair! Nice start to our holiday.

All guests are all inclusive at this hotel & all drink is the local cheap stuff, with no option to buy a decent pint etc. The bar staff at the looked like they would rather be somewhere else & their manners left a lot to be desired. The beer (San Miguel, so the tap claimed) could be drank from dawn til dusk & I reckon you would still be OK to drive home, it really was that weak!

Food....not a lot of choice & very few things were appealing. Outside dining area has pull out sunscreens overhead, but the few remaining ones were falling to bits (see pics) Chunks of masonary had also fallen off the walls & no attempt to mask the damage, or repair it was evident.

Sun loungers...Now these really are a joke, really old & saggy, some would be impossible to lie on, should have been binned long ago!

Entertainment? Not a lot, though they did wheel in a few parrots one night & got them to dance!

Location? Top of a hill & near to nothing at all! 15 minute walk down into Portinatx & you have some nice bars & eateries, we did this pretty much every day.

Toilets in public areas were stinking, with bins overflowing & the main reception toilets had the urinals taped over with plastic bags during our stay, not nice!

Overall, I wouldn't hurry back to the Vista Bahia. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, & the people who left positive reviews on here must either be easily pleased, or have never experienced a decent hotel.

Having spoken to various bar owners etc in the town, it would seem that the place has changed ownership in recent years & current owners just dont want to invest in the upkeep, hence it's obvious decline in standards & conditions.

Please see my pictures in relation to points mentioned in this review.

Room Tip: We had room 324 which had a pool/sea view. We saw inside a couple of other rooms & ours was the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Harry B
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family and I have just returned from a 7 night break from the Vista Bahia in Portinax.
I am utterly drained and my nerves are shredded. My daughter is ill and my partner almost ended up in a fight due to the following reasons:

We arrived at the hotel at 10 pm. We were told by the hotel manager that although they had received our booking our room would not be ready for us until NOON the following day. The hotel manager, Matthew, blamed the company I booked with.

We were told that we had to go to another hotel in the resort and to return the following day at noon. We waited another half an hour for a taxi. The taxi journey took approximately 10 minutes to take us to the other hotel. When we arrived at the new hotel, they did not know about us, did not have a room for us and it took a very polite receptionist 20 minutes to help us. By this point my 15 year old daughter who has Scoliosis and Hyper mobility syndrome, both of which are very painful and debilitating illnesses was in pain, needed to take her medication and needed to be settled and comfortable in a bed (you have to understand the holiday was booked with her in mind. We thought sun and relaxation would really help her). I had a complete emotional melt down as I felt stranded, helpless, upset and utterly disgusted that we were in this situation. Plus we had been travelling for 9 hours by this point.
At 11 pm we was directed to another hotel, which was a 5 minute walk away. There we was shown to our room and eventually got some sleep.
The following morning we had breakfast and checked out. We caught a taxi back to Bahia at 12 with all of our luggage in tow. By this point we had lost an evening and a full morning of our holiday.
We arrived at the Bahia to be told once again that our room was not ready. The lady on reception was the rudest person I have ever met and I intend to make an official complaint about her. She informed us our room would be ready by 2 pm. We hung around until 2 pm when at last our room was finally ready. The room was disgusting. It was damp, had mould spreading up the walls, on the grout in the bathroom, mould was surrounding the grill to the air conditioning, the curtains had mould growing up it, the stench was unbearable not to mention a potential major health hazard.

We visited reception to asked to be moved to be told there are no other rooms. We were all really upset and the staff at the hotel did not help in the slightest. They were unprofessional, rude, unhelpful and unapproachable. We had no choice to but to accept our situation, however my partner felt differently. He later visited reception, Matthew and the rude lady refused to help or listen to him. He refused to move until they helped us which eventually they did. He had to shout to be heard, refuse to move from reception and became so upset that his anger erupted (I have to tell you that he is not an aggressive person. The hotel staff caused this reaction). They said there would be a room available the following day at 12 pm. We put our safety at risk and slept with the balcony door open as we couldn't breath with it closed. The stench was overwhelming and stuck to our clothes.
We had so far lost an evening and a full day.
The following day we tried to enjoy ourselves at the hotel, it was hard to relax knowing that we had to pack our clothes and move yet again. We were in limbo and not in the happiest of places. Our daughter was aching and in pain and she very anxious due to the upset of the whole situation (we could not even relax on sun loungers as there was not enough for everyone in the hotel. People were sunbathing on lilo's on the floor).
At 12 pm our room was not ready. Deja vu. When we eventually got the key at 2 pm we were finally relieved to have a room that did not smell of damp or have mould everywhere (it did have mould in places but no where near as bad as the other room). The room was not the best but it was so much better than the previous room. We unpacked and tried to make the most of the rest of our holiday. We had lost 2 days and 1 evening.
The hotel was not a 3 star as claimed, the food was repetitive and cold, the hotel was dirty and we only saw the pool cleaned once in our 5 days there. It is run down, understaffed, breaching health and safety everywhere you look and to complete our holiday from hell our daughter was struck with a stomach bug which was probably due to the disgusting hygiene issues the hotel has (dirty toilets, mucky sun beds, unwashed terraces, bins that were constantly full, waitress staff with sores that are not covered up, undercooked food, ant infestations and sticky, filthy stairs - we never saw anyone cleaning them).
The hotel is situated in such a beautiful setting, the sea and rocks were amazing. What a shame that this hotel has not been condemned. It should be and the staff on reception sacked.

Room Tip: Lower floors tended to be cleaner and less damp.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank vlgreen
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Do you want 5 star? Then dont book here. It says it is 3 star and it is.
Tips, do take a hairdryer, do take shampoo and shower gel as the complimentary is not enough. Leave some clothes at home and take a couple of extra towels as they dont get changed every day. And maybe pack a room freshner, just in case.
Positives
Great location, beautiful views across the sunset/sea.
3 good swimming pools, plenty of room to sunbathe either round the pools or by the sea down below.
lots of different areas to sit throughout the hotel with games old and new for different kids age groups.
The beach area may not look much when you view it from the hotel, but take a snorkel and mask the water is clear and the fish swim all around you its really cool.
short walk into Portinaux, which is very pretty and has a great atmosphere.
All in all apart from the Britains you may catch at reception who will moan at anything there isnt too much that a facelift and some extra staff required that this hotel needs.
Food: Ive seen some reviews that say all you can get is chips, chicken and fish. I dont think those people were looking, there was rice, pasta, great choices of salad, various meats, veg, fish, fruits, freshly cooked rolls, soups, paella. Yes perhaps there was chips too often but a lack of imagination and ability to try different things is shown in some peoples reviews, I tried lots of different meats and they were all pretty well cooked.
There of course are negatives to the hotel, which is why there are so many mixed reviews, mainly for us our room could have done with a damp proof course as it smelt old & a little damp, the smell went once the doors were opened and the trade of was one of the best views (room 221).
There were not enough staff, therefore some jobs were not getting done regularly enough, i.e towel changing, patio washing, and general maintenance around the place.
The staff they had though were always helpful and kind. Some have said they were rude, but you know I bet those who said it were rude to them too. The few staff they have are working 12 hour days and if you ask them nicely and treat them as you would expect to be treated they were nice to you. I exchanged pleasantries and jokes with all of them, no problems at all.
All in all, it is an average 3 star hotel. I have given it a 4 based on a 3 star. If it had tried to profess it was a 4 star hotel it would have got a 3 marking, because it isnt 4 star.
It is not one of the best for amenities etc I have stayed in, but sitting up on the top balcony of the restaurant at night watching the sun go down and just enjoying the chilled atmosphere whilst the kids made friends meant I actually had a great time.
I read the negative reviews before I went and decided I would go for it. Glad I did, had a nice time and so did my two teenagers. If your going soon. Enjoy, if you want to you will x

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower levels without a tree in the front. Room 221 good view for a family room...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Kazma49
Reviewed 12 August 2014

So we have just got back from staying here for a week, and we would definatly not return!
The hotel is tired and at times dirty, the rooms are very basic, however surprisingly the shower was very good so long as you wanted it cold, which in August we did!
Air con in the room was a joke.
This hotel would not be suitable for the elderly or even people with buggies etc due to the large amount of steps and hills.
No easy access to the sea, if you want to go in I suggest taking reef shoes.
No sun beds as they have reserved towels on them the night before.
Food........ok if you like school dinners as an adult on holiday.
The sangria was rather nice, however expect a long queue whilst you wait to get served.
If you want to go to the beach beware its a 20 minute walk down a very steep hill. The beach however is very nice.

Room Tip: I wouldnt waste your money.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Has incredible potential, spectacular location set in the cliffs with stunning views. The complex is 3* I always knock off a star when travelling in Europe & this did apply to some aspects at the Vista Bahia. On the whole it is clean, apartments, pools, restaurant, bar although the public areas detiorate throughout the day but this is mainly due to inconsiderate guests not tidying up after themselves! Public toilets can get blocked due to guests not following guidance on use. Unfortunately the air conditioning in our room did not work correctly and although the reception staff & maintenence staff kept trying to fix it it wasn't until our last night that it was working correctly therefore they gave us a free late check out room in compensation which was very useful. The staff were pleasant & polite. All inclusive food is available all day, I am very fussy therefore I was limited to sugar puffs, chips, toasties, Fruit, Ice cream, Biscuits & cakes. If your not fussy there seemed to be a good selection to choose from, a couple of hot dishes usually a paella & fish dish plus salads, cold meats and plenty of people seemed to be enjoying their meals. Soft drinks, water, wines, San Miguel & hot drinks are all available on tap although if you like English Tea or coffee I would suggest taking your own, hot water & milk (which is like our semi skimmed) is available. All inclusive drinks are mostly served in small plastic cups exc. Lager & water this may seem an inconvience but in my experience it does save on wastage/spillage particulary during the day around pool when drinks get hot within minutes. They are a bit short on bar staff but those who are working do a good job.
It was unusal not to be able to purchase drinks after the All inclusive stopped at midnight?
Apart from water polo we did not see any of the animation team, Aqua fit didn't not happen? In the evening there was only a disco and bingo? We tended to walk the 15mins to Portinax, beware the area is very hilly, not for the hard of walking or infirm, which has 2 beautiful sandy bays and lovely restaurants, the restaurant above the 1st bar was fabulous & reasonably priced, part of a hotel. Zulu bar served lovely Sangria 12 Euros & cocktails 6 Euros. Walk a further 10 minutes to some nice bars with entertainment Vincents bar & Dels bar (English). We caught the bus No. 21 from here 2.65 Euros e/w to Santa Eularia for the day. Again a beautiful larger town with more shops, market, cafes, creperies and beautiful beaches and watersports available Banana etc. 10 Euros pp
All in all a beautiful island, only 2 hour flight, 40 minute transfer and the apartment was a place to sleep & shower, with a pool to sunbath & swim (ps. people tended to put their towels out to reserve beds in the late evenings - occasionally the staff stack up beds which then frees some up) ps. no umbrellas available you need to find the shade of a wall or tree. We enjoyed it!

Room Tip: Lower Rooms are noisier due to entertaiment - Higher Rooms are quieter but a hill climb Sea view wa...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank LynneSteve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinatx
Barcelo Portinatx - Adults only
#5 of 9 in Portinatx
Hotel Ole Galeon Ibiza
Hotel Ole Galeon Ibiza
#1 of 8 in Port de Sant Miguel

Been to Club Vista Bahia? Share your experiences!