“Excellent Staff”

Ikos Oceania
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nea Moudania
“Excellent Staff”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just got back from the Oceania and have to say the staff were among the best and most friendly I have ever encountered. Especially Tanya on the front desk who arranged an upgrade for us as it was our anniversary. The weather was changeable with it being April, but the pool area and beach cannot be faulted. The food was also excellent. All in all a great holiday and we would return :o)

Room Tip: Get block 5 if you can
1 Thank SteveUk2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I very rarely get around to leaving reviews for hotels we stay at, but feel called upon to comment on the Oceania, as our week there was practically faultless. I booked an all-inclusive holiday with an element of trepidation, but in the hope that I would be able simply to relax, eat, drink, read and not have to plan anything, decide on restaurants or even carry money. This place absolutely met the brief!

Pretty much the only downside of the holiday was that there was no option to get there but a hideously early flight to Thessaloniki. However, the Easyjet flight was fine, the driver for our private transfer was excellent and on arrival there was a slick system in place to greet us and check us in, whisk our luggage off, and we went straight in to lunch, so it's actually the perfect time to arrive.

We were there just after the hotel opened for the season in early April. I was staying with my two late-teen sons, and had booked a deluxe suite in Block 5, (separate bedroom) which the hotel had set up exactly as I requested. It was perfectly spacious for the three of us. Housekeeping is excellent, beds very comfortable, fabulous view from both rooms and the double balcony out to sea over the immaculately-kept gardens. Frankly, it couldn't have been better.

Many people have raved at length about this place, and with good reason: although the hotel is physically very lovely and the facilities very good indeed, in the end what really makes a place is the staff. And what ensures good staff and service is the training they have received and the management that underpins it. That's what is going on here - seriously high end management that would not disgrace a far more expensive and exclusive hotel. What a terrific find.

I had one minor irritation in connection with one of our suitcases, but it was dealt with so charmingly by the front of house manager Maria, that it really didn't mar the experience. In fact, that sort of thing is a good measure of customer service: that if anything does go a little bit wrong it is dealt with in such a way that the customer ends up happier afterwards than if the blip had not occurred. And I'm happy to say that was the case here. So top marks for that.

There were so many members of staff who went towards making it a good stay that I'm afraid I can't now remember all their names. But Eva in the private pool bar is a real asset - looking after everyone, whilst making each person feel they are the only person who matters to her; remembering everyone's drinks preferences; sailing round, tray aloft, delivering drinks with style and charm. Liviu does an equally terrific job in the main restaurant. The chef, Thomas, oversees a large kitchen brigade and produces tremendous food. And even offered to adapt dishes as necessary as I am gluten-free, which proved to be quite unnecessary, as there was a huge choice at every meal, and I always found plenty to suit my diet. The delightful (Albanian?) woman making breakfast omelettes rapidly remembered my preference and handed it over to me every day with a smile.

I had very good massages in the spa, courtesy of Vasiliki. The gym was full of well-maintained equipment. We enjoyed using the squash courts. Everywhere was scrupulously clean. The barmen mixed excellent cocktails. I haven't got a single bad thing to say about the place.

I am realistic enough to understand that this is not necessarily what all-inclusive resorts are always like. So I'm going to save myself the trouble of trying others and being disappointed. Next time I want to do this kind of holiday, I am simply going to book here again. I just hope that they won't get so busy they don't have room for us next time!

Room Tip: Deluxe suite with a separate bedroom and sitting room in Block 5 was great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mamanbert
Burton on Trent
Reviewed 4 May 2014

As the other reviews say this is a great hotel. The staff are excellent, lovely rooms, nice beach (but watch out for sea urchins) and the Asian a la carte restaurant is wonderful. We asked for a ground floor room and got one. We booked direct with the hotel and got free airport transfers by taxi which worked really well. Best hotel gym we have seen outside the USA except that the air con wasn't working. I have seen other people mentioning the little flies in the room, we had this and though harmless they were annoying. The main problem for us was the surrounding area. You can walk into Nea Moudania which is the nearest town but I really wouldn't bother, there's not much to see. You can walk along the beach but again nothing there and in places it's quite grotty with litter and graffiti, the impact of the recession on Greece is pretty obvious in the surrounding area. It's a shame that such a lovely hotel is in such an unattractive area.

Room Tip: They say block 5 is the place to be but its the furthest away from the main building. We were in blo...
2 Thank Tallulah_9
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is our third stay in this hotel. We are coming back every year because this is best hotel in Greece - excellent room, great stuff, delicious food in Thalassa restaurant, exclusive food in a la carte restaurants (italian, asian and greek taverna), and specially exotic cocktails - I would recommend Oceania Blue cocktail! My wife loves me more after our stay...

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aleksandar A
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The service and the staff in this hotel set it apart from any other all inclusive. The good service started before we even arrived as I found Sarah who I booked with through Sani direct was most helpful. She advised me not to book an ocean view as all rooms came with a view. She also advised to book a standard room as these were of good quality and as were have a child with us we may get upgraded anyway! When we arrived we were greeted with a glass of fizz and our bags taken to our room for us. We were upgraded to the junior suit near the private pool with its own bar. We preferred to stay near here most the time at the pool. We found the only negative comment I could make was the other guests near the children's pool who tutted when kids splashed and had fun. I found this very rude and wondered why they wouldn't chose to bathe near the other deep pool! We didn't let their rudeness spoil our fun. Overall the pools were all good, if a little cold and the infinity pool a lovely experience.
The hotel room was 5*, clean, modern with a beautiful marble bathroom. The mini bar was stocked everyday, something you don't expect in an all inclusive.

The cocktails and drinks from the bar were all great it taste, no cheap liquors where everything taste the same. Branded drinks were included just as advertised, this included good quality vodka. The cocktails tasted just like you would in a bar in england and the sangria was perfect. The staff really are happy and attentive and insist on waitress service when pool area is quiet, even when it is busy they still find time to come and take your orders, even on the beach! The beach side bar was in a lovely spot and great to watch the sunset. Lots of activities for free on the beach. The sea was beautiful to look at, very calm during our stay.

There is not much in the area and tours were finishing when we arrived in October but this didnt spoil our stay and meant we actually spent £0, all inclusive really does mean all inclusive. You are not limited to what you can have at what time.

Now the food, I have seen some negative comments and I can only think that these people are fussy or dine out at Italy's 7* restaurants usually. The food was not all the same and not boring. Whats more you can have a bottle of wine with your meals and the waiters remember your preferences, excellent service once again. There are canapés you can choose to start your meal. Plenty of fresh salads which I like on holiday in the sun. The food specialities varied everyday and often there was cooking demonstrations. The monk fish was delicious.

The restaurants were all fab and you did not feel you were part of an all inclusive package, other than not paying. I had swordfish in ouzo in the Greek taverna which my 7 year old daughter then decided to have instead of fishfingers which was easily accomodated, really was one of the tastiest dishes I have had. Aisian restaurant and Italian were equally nice. We even ordered more starters at the asian they were so tasty. We drank 4 bottles of wine with our meal (they are smaller than usual, I think!). There is no limit to your amount. All the food was exceptional.
At breakfast there were plenty of choices. The greek yoguarts were for me a hi-light especially as I am not keen on yogurt usually but they tasted nothing like the yoguarts you buy I here.
We mainly ate lunch near the pool, choice was more than enough for us and we got to enjoy the weather.
Entertainment was of a good standard for a hotel and kept us entertained when we went. Our team were the most useless at the quiz but really was fun.
Please note I visited in 2011 but only just got round to reviewing as looking to book for October again.
Now the negative part, the hair raising transfer. The driver was a lunatic! On the way home the driver was on his mobile at high speed having an argument with someone very aggressively. He nearly careered us into the bollards twice! I really wanted to stop the taxi and get out it really was that bad. It is a long transfer anyway and this is the only thing that puts me off returning.

WELL DONE TO THE TEAM AT OCEANIA IT IS PERFECT.

• Stayed October 2013
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is our second visit to Oceana Club and once again we were blown away by this Hotel. The standard of cleanliness, the staff and service are all 5*. The weather this year was a bit mixed but this did not spoil our holiday at all. The rooms are luxurious (go for a sea view, it is spectacular) and the food is exceptional. The star of the show is the Greek Taverna, with Dafi, the charismatic front of house, who makes everyone welcome. The food here is exceptional. We also ate in the Italian restaurant which was also very good. It is nice to book these evenings throughout your stay as they really are lovely treats and of course, still part of your all inclusive package. This really is the best we have been to, all inclusive means just that! No limits on where or when you can eat, everything is included. We even have our mini bar filled everyday. A special mention for Christos at the beach bar, who does make the best Mojitos. I really cannot find any fault with this hotel. The only downside is that if you like busy holidays there is not much to do outside of the hotel complex. The nearby town has some nice shops and is about a 10 minute walk along the sea front. It would be nice if the hotel offered a shuttle bus into Thessaloniki and we would be happy to pay for this service, but what is really lovely about this holiday is that it is perfect if you want to get away from it all and spend a week in 5* luxury. We will be back next year. Sam & Sue Galvin

Room Tip: We have stayed in block 2 and block 4, if you get the voice, block 4 is better as it is nearer the s...
Reviewed 28 April 2014

For a 5* hotel we found it surprising that there are no individual room control for temperature settings.
The room was quiet warm at night and we were not able to set the air conditioning to a cooler temperature.
when we asked reception they advised that the heating/cooling system is centrally controlled and unfortunately they weren't of much help apart from suggesting to sleep with balcony open which resulted mosquitoes invading our room which accounted for a very poor quality sleep.

After complaining a huge fan was provided and the noise kept us awake for most of the night and we were left with a choice of either extremely noisy fan or mosquito bites.

This is one thing which lets this hotel significantly down compared to other 5 star European hotels.

Having said that the staffs do try their best most of them times to accommodate your requests.
The food is ok with breakfasts deserving special mention.
However lunch and dinner tends to become fairly repetitive and do not expect anything more than a big standard buffet food.

The Italian and Greek Ala carte restaurants were very good but the Asian restaurant was a huge let down.
The service is generally good and the beach side location is quiet stunning.
However if you don't have complimentary airport transfers, it could set you back by €120 for a return transfer as the hotel is 50 km away from the airport.
Might be worthwhile renting a car which will turn out cheaper.

Overall a good hotel for a weeks holiday if you are prepared to compromise on sleep quality.

• Stayed April 2014
#2 of 4 in Nea Potidea
Sani Asterias
Sani Asterias
#1 of 6 in Sani

Been to Ikos Oceania? Share your experiences!