“Perfect holiday”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nea Moudania
Surrey, England
“Perfect holiday”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the oceania for 9 nights in July and I would highly recommend this hotel.

The staff are fantastic and can't do enough for you, the food was great and varied each night. Rooms are cleaned every day to a high standard.

There is loads to do for children of all ages including teenagers.

I would highly recommend this hotel to families with children of all ages.

5 Thank The_Bullers78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Kent
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We returned from our second stay at the Oceania only last night having holidayed there 2 years ago.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay as much as last time.
The service is as good as any I've had at any hotel and the staff are without exception incredibly helpful and polite.
The food in the buffet is very good and varied and the al a carte restaurants are well worth a visit.
International branded spirits are served in all the bars. Smirnoff and Absolute vodka, Gordon's gin and Bacardi being examples.
If I have one minor gripe it's that the evenings can become rather long. The best isn't made of the huge adults only bar and seating around the pool is limited. I'm reliably informed that things will improve over the rest of the summer. That said it didn't detract from what was a thoroughly enjoyable stay.
Improvements this year include miniature spirit in the room's fridge and 24 hour room service. Coupled with the improvements in the food, this has come at a sizable cost to the hotel and more improvements are due for next year with a 4th al a carte restaurant on site and a 6th bar.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Martind3Kent
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My Husband and I stayed at the Oceania Club the second week of June. The hotel was recommended to us by friends. We had a very relaxing and wonderful holiday at the Oceania Club, everything was perfect for us, the room, hotel facilities, food and hotel staff were all excellent. We enjoyed it so much that we are going back in September!

Room Tip: Definitely Block 4 & 5
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ray r
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Oceania Club and Spa is amazing!!! We have been to Oceania in Nea Moudania for 3 years in a row and this July we got married there!! All of the staff at Oceania are extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. I cannot praise them enough. The hotel Manager Mr Timos runs this hotel to a very high standard and his staff work really hard, they also have a lot of respect for him. He is a really hands on manager and you will often see him walking around the hotel and he will stop and have a chat. We arranged our Wedding with the lovely Wedding Co-ordinator Anna Wohlfart. Anna has been fantastic throughout and always responded to every email I sent very promptly. Anna arranged everything for us so that we could really just enjoy the day. We had our wedding in the rose garden overlooking the sea, we had 36 guests with us and all of them had the most fantastic time. We had our wedding meal near the greek restaurant and the table they set up for us looked spectacular!! There are so many people that make this hotel so special and keep us returning every year. Liviu the main restaurant manager is a lovely man, he always stops and talks to us and makes a fuss of our 8 year old daughter who loves him!!, Maria who is the Reservations Manager is brilliant, great fun and always with a beautiful smile, Roxanna in the Blue Bar is adorable and very beautiful, Dionisus really went out of his way to make sure our wedding chairs, wedding table and meal on the beach were perfect for us. Daffy in the Greek restaurant along with the staff in there are also a credit to this hotel, Tonia is very friendly at the pool bar and I also have to mention Martin at the pool bar (it was his first week while we were there) he was so attentive and helpful, I think my mum wanted to take him home!! The housekeeping staff are also very friendly and happy in their work. Graham in entertainment is brilliant!! I really could go on and on. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday with your every whim catered for then you must pay this hotel a visit. The food standard here is exceptionally high and plenty of choice for everyone. The rooms are cleaned daily to a high standard, mini bar is stocked daily with soft drinks and branded minatures, wine and lager. Block 4 is our favourite. If you are thinking of getting married in Greece, this is the place to do it. My husband and myself are so grateful for all of the effort the staff at Oceania put in to our wedding and we will be returning next year to celebrate our first wedding anniversary!!!!!

Room Tip: Block four or Five for Sea View
11 Thank MrsWebb2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Oceania Club where I stayed withy husband and two daughters. Having read all of the reviews prior to going and now having been myself I think I can offer an unbiased opinion of the resort. This is, of course subjective and will vary from
Person to person.
To sum the place up, Oceania Club is a good hotel. It's NOT a 5-star hotel but a very decent quality 4-star facility. If you compare it with 'true' 5-star hotels, there will be quite a difference.
There are many excellent things about Oceania: rooms are spotless clean, great decor, modern, beds are soft and bedlinen is of a very high quality. We had a junior suite to accommodate a family of 4 and it was cosy to say the least. Big balcony though with great views of the sea. Service was also very good - prompt, attentive and eager to please. Lovely Spa which was reasonably priced. The beach was nice, not the widest or the whitest sand but that's just being too picky, gorgeous, azure, warm sea with lots of water-sports activities to do.

However, the hotel is let down by various things in my opinion: Food - all in all - average!! The canteen/main restaurant is noisy and over-crowded. I was really not looking forward to going there towards the end of our stay. Unfortunately, that place gave me a feeling that I was in some mediocre Benidorm-type place. At first glance, there is an enormous amount of choice but I found majority of the dishes bland and repetitive. A la Carte restaurants were better - with Greek Pelagos being our favourite. The restaurant in town (you have an option to go there) was extremely average and the fact it was in Nea Moudania (the most depressing place on earth) impacted our experience further.

Another minus for me was - the hotel at it's peak has 800 guests and is far too over crowded. However, there are only 300 sunbeds (we were told that) and every morning without a fail we were faced with a challenge of finding 4 spare beds. There is another recent review here where people say that they had no problem with sun loungers - well I couldn't disagree more. In all honesty, we were late risers and didn't get down to the pool until 11.30, which means by then everything was gone. I found it very irritating as my expectation of a 5-star facility is not to have such kind of issues no matter what time you come down. We weren't overly bothered about the 'prime spots' either. Furthermore, if you try to 'book' the bed by placing your towel there and then go, say for lunch or breakfast, there is a chance you might get kicked out and have you towels confiscated. This happened to us once and someone else on every day basis. Apparently, this is a hotel policy - you are not allowed to be away for more than an hour. Can you imagine how much hassle it creates (heard a lot of complaints about it).

And finally, there is nothing much to do in the evenings. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere. We were slightly bored and had to find ways of entertaining ourselves.

All in all, Oceania Club isn't a cheap hotel but I am not sure if it provided the best value for money. Even though I did enjoy my stay there and the kids were sad to leave, I think (due to the aforementioned things) I would choose to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2014
13 Thank AnaWalker
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We booked a deluxe suite, having 2 boys aged 12 this then gave us the option of them having a separate bedroom area without been in a separate room. On arrival this had been achieved by putting a camp bed in the lounge and a sheet on the sofa - not ideal when the sofa was about 4' wide.
A quick call to reception remedied this and two put up beds were soon in the room, why not do this from the start?
Having got that out of the way from then on in all was good, food was varied and of good quality. The a la carte restaurants gave a respite from the 'cafeteria feel' of the main restaurant, which as a self help buffet was at times a bit chaotic. Greek restaurant by the pool and the Asian were very good. I would recommend using the Greek restaurant by the pool for breakfast as well, whilst the choice is not as varied there is a waiter service so it has a more relaxed, holiday feel about it.

Positives:
'The staff', they were faultless, nothing is too much trouble.
Free DVD library for the boys each night
Good food.
24/7 room service

'Slight' negatives would be:
All inclusive drinks were 'ok', but not as good a quality as in Turkey last year, same with ice creams as well.
Shower / water pressure was a bit on the slow side, not what you'd expect from a top hotel.
4 hangers in the wardrobe for me and the wife - guess who got those!

Enjoyed it but think we'll be trying somewhere different next year.

2 Thank ad1215
Woodford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived on 14th July for a 2 week holiday at Oceania booked via Thomson Holidays. This was our first visit and wow we were not disappointed.

We flew from Gatwick North and having usually used Stansted Airport I was worried whether the check in etc. would be as efficient, I must say the whole process was hassle free although we did get there around 3 hours before departure. We also used the No1 Lounge and this was great start to our holiday and would recommend this.

We arrived at Oceania having paid for private transfer; again I would highly recommend this. As soon as the car stopped the doors were opened and we received a very warm friendly welcome. Our luggage was whisked away and we made our way to reception, where we were checked in quickly with a glass of sparkling wine in hand with amazing views. We were then taken to our room in Block 4. I had contacted the resort prior to arrival as I had read other advisors reviews saying that the views from this block were good. I had also requested a suite but unfortunately it was not possible to upgrade as the resort was busy. However, the hotel delivered by allocating us a lovely room with amazing views and special thanks to Maria for accommodating this request but also placing a single bed in our room as our 16 year old son is 6 foot and the sofa bed may have been uncomfortable for him for 2 weeks.

The Junior Suite we were allocated was spotless and matches the photos online. The mini bar was stocked with beer (my husband didn’t particularly like this brand), white wine (I telephoned reception requesting if this could be exchanged for Rose and within minutes my Rose arrived), water, various soft drinks and miniatures of Smirnoff vodka, Ouzo, Gordon’s Gin and Scotch. Tea and coffee facilities (we did buy milk from the mini market as the little cartons provided are like carnation milk). Throughout our stay our room was kept to the same standard as when we arrived. The only thing I could add is that on the balcony there were only 2 chairs but that is the only negative I could say.

As with all the helpful suggestions on tripadvsior I did book 3 of the restaurants later that day with no fuss and found the whole process really easy thereafter also.

The whole resort is very clean and well maintained including the beach.

The spa is very good, which we all used and my husband and son utilised the gym facilities every day. I had a pedicure which was very good.

We enjoy being by the beach and there are very good sun loungers and tables and we had no problem securing a bed and in fact got the same spot each day. On the beach there are pedalos and canoes free of charge to use and a supervised children’s area, where you can leave your little ones for 30 minutes per day. There is also paid beach activities like Paddle boards, windsurfing, water skiing (our son did have a skiing lesson (80Euros) but he found this difficult and perhaps they need to use a different teaching method for this as I did notice others attempt this without success) and Crazy Coach. All these are very reasonably priced. The beach bar was used daily by us and we also ate our lunch there, where they serve toasted wraps, salads and baguettes. We also enjoyed Sangrias, Pina Coladas and Pimms made to perfection. The atmosphere here was brilliant with the staff so attentive, friendly and professional. A special mention must go to Petar, Chris, Veronica, Georgia, Yana and to the wonderful Bogdan. Service is also provided on the beach, with drinks delivered to your beds.

The dining programme at the resort is very good and allows you on a weekly basis to enjoy, Asian, Italian, Greek (on site) and the town Greek restaurant once per week, each restaurant. The onsite Greek tavern was our favourite and each dish was fantastic with exceptional service. We also enjoyed the Greek restaurant in town and visited this outside of the all-inclusive package with starters, main course wine and soft drinks for 3 around 60 euros which was very cheap. The main restaurant has a large and varied choice of food, however it is quite busy and noisy here, therefore we opted to have breakfast in the Greek Taverna and had perfect poached eggs each morning, lunch was at the beach and we used all the restaurants and dined out a couple of times, so only used the main dining hall a couple of times.

The evening entertainment could be better, but to be honest after a long day at the beach and after a lingering relaxed dinner a late night, didn’t bother us. The hotel does have an extensive DVD library and we used this a couple of times.

We booked a trip through Thomson’s, the Holy Mountain Cruise, word of caution this is a long trip and although the boat is beautiful and crew friendly unless you secure seating on the deck or upstairs you will have to sit inside which is what happened to us for 4 & half hours! I’m sure if we had secured different seating this may have been a different experience. We made a stop at a lovely town and had a fantastic lunch (not paid as part of the trip), but we were only there for around an hour. The return trip on the boat was just over an hour and the coach trip back, so a long day.

The nearby town is run down and reflects the economic climate unfortunately. But we did visit Afitos one evening for dinner, return taxi is around 60 euros and we had a lovely meal there and did some shopping. Afitos is a lovely, clean village it’s a shame that the nearby town to the hotel was not like this.

Our return journey from Thessaloniki airport was an unpleasant experience. When you check in and your luggage is weighed you have to take your luggage to another section to 1 conveyor belt and scanning machine. This broke down whilst we were queuing resulting in chaos. From this section you then move to security we were in this queue for over an hour and once through this section we had to run to board the plane with no time to go in Duty Free. We travel every year and have never experienced an airport like this it was chaotic and disorganised and it would have been helpful had the Thomson Reps been around to provide information.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday and met some lovely people and made new friends. All the staff are amazing here and are a credit to the hotel. We cannot wait to book for next year. There is a new hotel, part of the same group opening next April, although no information is ready yet so we may even consider this one also.

Without hesitation we would recommend this resort and I’m sure you will have an amazing time like we did filled with lots of happy memories.

Room Tip: Block 4 has very good views. Request a change of wine for the mini bar. White wine is in the fridge...
12 Thank Sharna H
#2 of 4 in Nea Potidea
Sokratis Hotel
Sokratis Hotel
#2 of 3 in Nea Moudania

Been to Ikos Oceania? Share your experiences!