“A horrible stay with rude hosts.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ramallah
Khouriya Family Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 13 Ramallah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My three sisters and I chose to visit our parent’s homeland for three weeks this spring. We researched tripadvisor for the best place to stay in Palestine and we found that the Khouriya Family Guesthouse was the best rated in the area. I was very excited to finally experience what everyone was talking about: true Palestinian hospitality, knowledgeable tour guides, and friendly service. Unfortunately, my experience, as well as my sisters’ was not enjoyable. We arrived at the Khouriya’s house on June 1, 2013 and were given the private entry area, which is a room with a private door and we did not have to enter through the main gate of the house. One of our hosts, Issa, was friendly enough when we arrived, but his wife, Rawda, was nowhere in site. We later found out that she was leaving on a trip to England the next day, something she never told me in our email correspondence weeks before the trip. The first day, Issa told us a little about the area and how we could get to Ramallah. We were in for a really long first few days.
The room was muggy, the bathroom smelled of fish and sewer and the room was FULL of mosquitoes. We were bitten a million times each, and were woken by mosquitoes buzzing in our ears every hour. We dealt with this for three days, and during these three days Issa did not change the overflowing garbage or give us toilet paper. We had to ask for anything we needed. Finally, when we did tell him about the mosquitoes, his response was that their guests had problems with mosquitoes. He did not offer a spray, we bought our own spray. He said there was a machine in the room but did not help us in getting it started up. We told him we needed a new room, he did not offer, we had to ask. After we asked, he gave us was appeared to be a much nicer section of the house. The veranda was beautiful and the living room was cleaner and less hot/stagnant. Our stay extended a few days, but the family did not change overflowing garbage regularly and we had to ask for toiletries. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting and smelled of urine and feces. There was leaking urine behind the toilet and the smell was unbearable. Issa changed the garbage and obviously smelled and saw the leak and did nothing about it. He also blamed me for turning off a switch to his water pump which was right next to a light switch in the room I was staying in. He was honestly one of the rudest hosts I have ever encountered. He was also very lazy and was always laying down on the couch in their living room.
Throughout our stay, we arranged a few trips with Issa (at a high cost compared even to service and private taxis in Ramallah) to the Dead Sea/Jericho and Al Khalil (Hebron), as well as the Aida refugee camp in Bethlehem. His tours were basically useless and he did not articulate his points clearly about the conflict. He was an impatient and rude driver. He swore in Arabic several times while driving, and these were vulgar swearwords we could all understand. He was not friendly or welcoming and even said the people in Al Khalil are known as “dumb.” For someone who professes to be a Palestinian supporter, this was unbelievable to me.
The last straw with the Khouriyas was their blatantly rude treatment towards us during our stay. They were loud and slammed doors late at night and there were a number of different relatives and young boys in the house yelling loudly at any time. One night my sisters and I danced to music that couldn’t have been that loud because it was playing from a cell phone. About an hour later, Issa’s niece came up to tell us we were too loud. She attempted to say it in a kind way but it was very rude. From the very beginning Issa told us we could pay week by week or at the end. Toward the end of the 8th day his niece came upstairs and told us we were supposed to pay at the end of the week. When we went to pay Issa he acted as if this was not a big deal and acted like he was our friend but he was very concerned about his money.
Overall, this was probably the worst stay at any hotel/B & B I have ever had. The Khouriyas were not hospitable and certainly not in tune with any Palestinian hospitality I know of and were very concerned with making money. I do not know if they were more rude to us because we are also Arab Palestinians and they felt they could be themselves, but the above reviews make no sense to me at all. We left after the eighth day and went to a cheaper and better hotel in the Ramallah/Al-Bireh area which included breakfast and was actually concerned about its guests. I really regret having given any of my money or time to the Khouriyas. I recommend the second hotel we stayed at called Retno Hotel for their excellent service and cheaper rates.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank NoordPoord

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I have recently returned from a week's stay and I would strongly recommend anyone to stay with Rawda and Issa.
Good accommodation,excellent food and very helpful trips can be run if you want to explore the area with people who live here.
All the family were friendly and hospitable.
Thank you very much.
Paula

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paula K
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We had a lovely time staying with the Khouriya Family at their guest house. We traveled with our two young children (2 and 5 years old) and the top floor of the building was perfect for us with its two bedrooms (2 single beds for the kids, but the beds could be moved together), bath and kitchen. Not to mention the large terrace overlooking Jifna and the surrounding hills! It was easy to travel into Ramallah and the family was very helpful organizing everything. We'd come again anytime!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacobia D
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I'm an artist working on projects in the oPt right now, and the Khouriya Family were great at providing help for me to facilitate my project as well as a beautiful home. They are very respectful of your privacy and there for you when you need them. They are able to make things happen on short notice, and are more then happy to work with you... if you like me are there working on political art, or activists projects, they can put you in touch with the right people and the right resources easily. Also, Jifna is very close to many centers of the West Bank, Ramallah is only a 5 minute drive away so don't be confused its very central, while being away from the madness.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Blake S
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We had a wonderful 4 night stay with Rawda and Isa and their family in March of 2013. There were three of us older women artists traveling together. I have traveled to Palestine many times and have good friends and love the country. Our stay with the Khouriya’s was wonderful. Jifna is a very quiet little village about 15 minutes by taxi to Ramallah. Ramallah is very noisy and cosmopolitan so Jifna and the Khouriya home is a welcome respite. We shared the upstairs space with two bedrooms and a kitchen, a nice living area with another bed and one bathroom. There is a wonderful terrace that looks out across the valley. The Khouriya’s provide the genuine Palestinian hospitality that you will never experience anywhere but in somebodies home. Rawda cooks a delicious Palestinian breakfast every morning with fresh orange juice and cucumbers and tomatoes and humus and special cheeses and eggs and Arabic bread. We also asked Rawda to cook us dinner several nights for a very reasonable fee which were wonderful and we could purchase wine from Rawda, which we enjoyed. The prices that they charge are so reasonable; I am not sure how they do it. We did rely on taxis and on Isa to drive us places, so put money in your budget for that but I think this is a wonderful way to see some of the northern parts of Palestine, and spend some time in Ramallah. Isa drove us to Nablus for a tour of the Balata refugee camp and also to the beautiful ruins of Sebastia. We also visited the Darwish Museum in Ramallah while we were there. I highly recommend the Khouriya guesthouse.

Room Tip: The upstairs is very nice for a small group. There are 2 bedrooms and one bed in the living room.