“fantastic insight into palestinian life”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ramallah
Khouriya Family Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 14 Ramallah B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“fantastic insight into palestinian life”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Issa and Rawda were very welcoming of us into their home. Their home is beautiful and the village of Jifna is lovely, quiet and friendly with some really good restaurants. We did two full days of touring with Issa who was very accommodating in organising tours for us. We were specific about what we wanted to see including the refugee camps, the wall and other areas associated with the occupation. Issa was very understanding and really wanted to help show us the situation in palestine. The room we stayed in had its own entrance, it was private, clean and well equipped. We would recommend trying to make tours with other people in the house to cut down on costs and the charge per kilometre not per guest. We would recommend trying Rawda's cooking one night and the other nights try the local restaurants. The Taybeh beer brewed in this families home village is delicious. Issa also took us to Nablus where we ate a sweet treat with cheese - a cullinary highlight. The second day we went to Hebron which we would highly recommend as it was insightful and Issa linked us up with some organisations and people to speak with about the situation there. We will come back one day we hope!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JenandKai T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and Rawda was an amazing host. It was fascinating being in the West Bank and Jifna is a great area to stay - quiet and safe. A car would be useful, but we didn't have one and we managed to use the taxi service and buses every day to go to Jerusalem and around the West Bank. Breakfasts are amazing and it's just a great place to come home to every night. We would absolutely stay there again if we went back to the West Bank and we're going to recommend it to everyone. Thanks Rawda!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nomadicannie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

What nicer place to stay than with the Khouriya family. Though we only stayed for one night we got to share a lovely breakfast along with conversation about life in Palestine and Jifna. This was a perfect place to stay as it was far enough from Ramallah to not have the traffic and close enough to the surrounding areas, mainly Taybeh Brewery!!!!!
Rhoda is any amazing lady with a fantastic life story and a spirit that has spread though the Jifna community to help benefit others. One nice restaurant was the Al Basha.
Most people stay longer and base themselves here to explore the rest of Palestine and we can so see why (unfortunately for us we had to get back to work!!!)

Go see for yourself and enjoy!!!!

Room Tip: They're all good!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrixtonMassive
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

...just back from another great stay in Jifna with the Khouriya's. Unfortunately not enough time on this trip to enjoy more of Rawda's home cooking - next time!...Palestine's truly in fruit at the moment with grapes hanging outside my bedroom window.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Abu-Arlo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I traveled to Palestine during May, earlier this summer. I stayed with the Khouriya family for almost two weeks, and they truly made me feel welcome and at home. I was traveling completely alone, and knew no one in the area, but that made little difference after meeting Issa and Rawda who immediately made me feel like part of their family. I would not recommend any other place to stay in Palestine.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank EliBatch
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My three sisters and I chose to visit our parent’s homeland for three weeks this spring. We researched tripadvisor for the best place to stay in Palestine and we found that the Khouriya Family Guesthouse was the best rated in the area. I was very excited to finally experience what everyone was talking about: true Palestinian hospitality, knowledgeable tour guides, and friendly service. Unfortunately, my experience, as well as my sisters’ was not enjoyable. We arrived at the Khouriya’s house on June 1, 2013 and were given the private entry area, which is a room with a private door and we did not have to enter through the main gate of the house. One of our hosts, Issa, was friendly enough when we arrived, but his wife, Rawda, was nowhere in site. We later found out that she was leaving on a trip to England the next day, something she never told me in our email correspondence weeks before the trip. The first day, Issa told us a little about the area and how we could get to Ramallah. We were in for a really long first few days.
The room was muggy, the bathroom smelled of fish and sewer and the room was FULL of mosquitoes. We were bitten a million times each, and were woken by mosquitoes buzzing in our ears every hour. We dealt with this for three days, and during these three days Issa did not change the overflowing garbage or give us toilet paper. We had to ask for anything we needed. Finally, when we did tell him about the mosquitoes, his response was that their guests had problems with mosquitoes. He did not offer a spray, we bought our own spray. He said there was a machine in the room but did not help us in getting it started up. We told him we needed a new room, he did not offer, we had to ask. After we asked, he gave us was appeared to be a much nicer section of the house. The veranda was beautiful and the living room was cleaner and less hot/stagnant. Our stay extended a few days, but the family did not change overflowing garbage regularly and we had to ask for toiletries. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting and smelled of urine and feces. There was leaking urine behind the toilet and the smell was unbearable. Issa changed the garbage and obviously smelled and saw the leak and did nothing about it. He also blamed me for turning off a switch to his water pump which was right next to a light switch in the room I was staying in. He was honestly one of the rudest hosts I have ever encountered. He was also very lazy and was always laying down on the couch in their living room.
Throughout our stay, we arranged a few trips with Issa (at a high cost compared even to service and private taxis in Ramallah) to the Dead Sea/Jericho and Al Khalil (Hebron), as well as the Aida refugee camp in Bethlehem. His tours were basically useless and he did not articulate his points clearly about the conflict. He was an impatient and rude driver. He swore in Arabic several times while driving, and these were vulgar swearwords we could all understand. He was not friendly or welcoming and even said the people in Al Khalil are known as “dumb.” For someone who professes to be a Palestinian supporter, this was unbelievable to me.
The last straw with the Khouriyas was their blatantly rude treatment towards us during our stay. They were loud and slammed doors late at night and there were a number of different relatives and young boys in the house yelling loudly at any time. One night my sisters and I danced to music that couldn’t have been that loud because it was playing from a cell phone. About an hour later, Issa’s niece came up to tell us we were too loud. She attempted to say it in a kind way but it was very rude. From the very beginning Issa told us we could pay week by week or at the end. Toward the end of the 8th day his niece came upstairs and told us we were supposed to pay at the end of the week. When we went to pay Issa he acted as if this was not a big deal and acted like he was our friend but he was very concerned about his money.
Overall, this was probably the worst stay at any hotel/B & B I have ever had. The Khouriyas were not hospitable and certainly not in tune with any Palestinian hospitality I know of and were very concerned with making money. I do not know if they were more rude to us because we are also Arab Palestinians and they felt they could be themselves, but the above reviews make no sense to me at all. We left after the eighth day and went to a cheaper and better hotel in the Ramallah/Al-Bireh area which included breakfast and was actually concerned about its guests. I really regret having given any of my money or time to the Khouriyas. I recommend the second hotel we stayed at called Retno Hotel for their excellent service and cheaper rates.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank NoordPoord
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I have recently returned from a week's stay and I would strongly recommend anyone to stay with Rawda and Issa.
Good accommodation,excellent food and very helpful trips can be run if you want to explore the area with people who live here.
All the family were friendly and hospitable.
Thank you very much.