Upon arrival we were met with a damp, mildew stench. Anybody coming into this establishment would certainly think there was black mold behind the walls.
All the furniture in the home was out dated and filthy. towels were all different colors and most were used.
Both bathrooms weren’t cleaned and appeared to have feces behind the toilet on the 1st level.
Pillows in the bedrooms were soiled with no pillows covers.
Water pressure horrid. If someone was taking a shower on the 1st level, the person on the 2nd couldn't shower as there was no water.
The kitchen was filthy, the guest previous to us left several gifts, a dirty refrigerator with remnants of a liquor bottle with something that looked like a dead lizard inside of it and atop the cabinets were more empty liquor bottles.
Way to go, cleaning crew- not!
The appliance were very outdated and dirty-if we were considering using the kitchen, all bets were off at this point.
There was a socket in the kitchen that was damaged and definitely an electrical risk.
Floors were dirty, never moped.
Stairs, a nightmare.
Only one television in the entire place, 19 inches, really in this space, ridiculous and the WiFi was awful. Unable to check in for our flights or anything.
The bedding in each room was not cleaned, leaving us to purchase some sort of linen to be able to sleep on. Beds were very uncomfortable.
The only pro to this place was the sound of the ocean throughout the night.
This place has so much potential, but the owners need to put some care into it. 1200 for 3 nights is not cheap and our expectations were not met at all. The property manager did not address any of our concerns and couldn’t provide a resolution just excuses.
I don’t care if the previous guest ruin the property. It is your job to ensure the quality of the property is taken care of you each guest and it was not.
This establishment was not acceptable at all, we will be reaching out to Airbnb to report and hopefully recoup some of our monies from this owner.