“Everything I needed”
Review of Hotel Illuster

Hotel Illuster
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Uster
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Visiting my old hometown is always a treat for me. Staying at the Illuster Hotel, right at the center and towering over Uster became a treat. It's true, the rooms are a bit run down and the owners are aware of it. Soft renovation started already and I had a glimpse into a newly renovated room which makes me want to come back again for sure. I was given a room at the top floor with a small balcony and view over the town and was delighted. The only thing I truly missed during those hot summer days with up to 32 degrees was a fan. That should be a standard installation in every room, over the bed. Also to be considered are some rooms with showers instead of bathtubs. To enter the bathtub when half of the length is blocked by a fixed glasswall can become a challenge.
I was informed that the reception will close at 8 pm and had my room key with me at all times.
I also like the fact that everything needed is a couple of steps away, as I came primarily for shopping and to see my family. Be it magazines, fashion, food, shoes, ATM - take the lift to the ground floor and it's there! The post office is right opposite, the train station 5 mins to walk with easy and fast transportation to Zurich and many other lovely destinations. Great restaurants are found nearby too! The people at the reception were extremely friendly and helpful and especially the manager with his tipps of sightseeing jewels off the beaten path in Switzerland was priceless. Do I mind a spot on the floor, which is unremovable when the bed is comfy and clean? Do I mind an old blanket over the older sofa when I only needed it to put down some things on it? No I don't. Everything I needed and more was there (except for the fan which I could have from the reception), everything important was clean and changed daily. I am one happy customer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Maja_Vilufushi
Lucas P T, Manager at Hotel Illuster, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. You are bringing us further! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Illuster. We are looking forward to welcome you in Uster again. Best Regards, HOTEL ILLUSTER

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed for two nights on business. Its very basic and you are really getting what you paid for. No one told us that the reception will be closed after 8pm and if you don't have a mobile to ring the management you will be sleeping outside - its not the most savoury area of Uster either. The rooms are quite large and so is the bathroom. Breakfast is basic but edible. There are no other facilities in the room except the TV. Tobias was the guy dealing with breakfast/check-in/queries and he was very helpful with the train timings, even printed out stuff for us - didn't really deal with any other staff. There are a lot of restaurants and shops around the hotel and the train station is a 3 min walk and is very convenient to get into Zurich. If you want a place to sleep and nothing else then this is a cheap place for Zurich. Wouldn't take a family there.

Room Tip: Can be quite noisy on the some sides due to construction.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Hotel Illuster

Located in Uster Switzerland, a few subway stops outside the city center. I arrived in Zurich one evening when a large academic conference was in town. No rooms at any of the Inns I tested. So I got on an S-Bahn heading south, just my intuition. I asked a subway attendant what stop she thought I might find a Hotel. She recommended Uster. A couple of blocks way, I found Hotel Illuster. I believe they cater to semi-locals needing an extra bed for a house guest.

The hotel was a bargain. I forget the exact price, but it was in the neighborhood of a hundred euros, including breakfast. Much less than anything I have found in the city center. I had a little balcony and a room comparable in size to the USA. I was quite pleased and with the frequency of subways, it was virtually as convenient as anything in the center.

Highly recommended, but please don't crowd it and run up the prices, I will need to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kerwin G
Reviewed 21 June 2012

As some of the other reviewers mention it's close to the train station. There is also a pretty good Italian restaurant around the corner. The hotel is rundown, the service level swings from friendly (the employees) to grumpy (the owners) but it's clean. While not expensive by Swiss standards, it is considering what you get for the money. There are much better deals in the Zürich area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Luis M
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Stayed in Switzerland for 3 weeks on business and the hotel was chosen for me.
Good location for train station. It is within a shopping centre do that's handy also.
There are no frills ... rooms and reception only.
Clean all around but a few signs if 'tiredness' here and there.
The staff had on & off days.
Served It's need, not many options of choice for that area.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank tco333
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Hotel is located in a shopping centre, close to the station. Rooms are basic and have a seventies look and feel to them, but they have everything you need incl. a balcony. The view is not great, but this is Uster - which is a convenient rather than a charming town. Breakfast is limited, but alright for a 3* hotel. It's quiet at night and you can get a good night's sleep, it's me and my colleague's preferred hotel in Uster.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Dingdup
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Just returned from a business trip to Uster, Switzerland.
hotel is nice located centrally, close to train station & shopping area.Service is as per 3* european standards.
overall good stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)