“Easy and value for money”

Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rhoose
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Ideal for easy airport option, the hotel was clean modern and had friendly staff also a complimentary minibus drop off and pick up.
I booked the free parking option as this was the reason for using the hotel ( value for money) however there was a query when we arrived saying there would be a charge however the manageress authorised the promised free parking.
Made the start of the holiday that little bit easier.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Value for money free bus service. check price of parking or try for a free parking option.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for your kind words here on tripadvisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all facilities were to your satisfaction. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future and please be assured that I will share your comments with our staff in the hotel.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

Stayed here for one night before going on holiday. On arrival we were met with odd looks and no greetings whatsoever. The gentleman in reception did not greet us, just told us to 'hang on for the real receptionist'. After a ten minute wait the receptionist came and asked me for my name and booking reference (still waiting for the greeting!) He told us our room number and pointed us to the sign which told us what floor we were on. I decided to ask where we could have a meal as we had not eaten all day. He led me outside the door and pointed me next door to the adjoining pub. After getting changed and putting away our cases in our rooms (which were quite nice, in all fairness) we decided to go to the next door pub for something to eat and a few drinks.
When we we entered the pub you could immediately feel that this was a 'locals only' establishment. A large group of men had occupied the entire back restaurant area to watch a rugby game and were clearly not going to move for the few people who dared to come in and eat. Upon ordering [overpriced and flat] drinks, we found a table outside which was covered in cigarette ash and was sticky from spilled drinks. Suffice it to say we quickly drank said drinks and escaped to our room until the next morning. It is a shame because the hotel has such a good location in relation to the airport. I would never stay here again purely because it makes you feel unsafe and inferior. I have never experienced this in a hotel before. Such a shame.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

After trying to contact yourself and tripadvisor on several occasions this review is unfortunatley still on our page. You have posted the review to the wrong hotel. We have not got an adjoinig pub to our hotel. We have got a restaurant in our hotel where we serve food daily from 5.30pm - 9.30pm. We don't have a TV either in the back of our restaurant or an outside dining area. This review is obviously for our competitors and was posted to our site.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

okay one would definitely chose a hotel and or location like this to spend his vacations... S this is a transit hotel to and from the airport but still...
One of the most unfriendly staff I have ever encountered (definitely not used in the uk at all)
We arrived early after returning our rental car at the airport as we wanted visit Cardiff. The VERY first thing I heard from the front desk was: CHECK IN IS AT 3! No not even a good morning first, just this. And a welcome to you too sir. Okay fine one can have a bad day too right? Okay we went downtown (takes you like about an hour by bus and train) and REALLY enjoyed the city. Definitely met some truly friendly Welsh people.
As the last bus returning from the station to the hotel was at 5pm, we decided we would have a bite to eat at the hotel. WRONG: mashed potatoes, can of backed beans and overcooked sausage. Thanks that there was plenty of beer to wash it down.
Next morning the check out procedure was silent, barely a word or even a thank you was said by the reception guy.
As the regular shuttle had omit to make a stop at the hotel, the reception definitely did not like the idea of having to take a bus and dive us (some 10 people ) to the airport. It is just after several arguments from us all that they finally went and got a bus. Not to say that we all had to listen to some profanities thrown at us (most likely in welsh as I couldnot make up the name calling).
I would like to end up by saying that none of the staffmember do represent the brand that Holiday Inn stands for, for one bit!

As said before this is not a hotel where one would stay severla nights. the rooms are typical what you would expect from a HI Express; basic and functional.
Location: in the middle of nowhere
Restaurant: the cuisine of B urger King deserves a michelin star compared to what is served in this place.
Recommend it: NO just in high necessity; I would suggest to stay downtown and enjoy all what the great city of Cardiff has to offer and make an early start if you have to catch a plane.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your experience here on tripadvisor. I would like to take this oppurtunity to ask you to get in touch with me via e-mail under deputy@exhicardiffairport.co.uk to tell me when you have actually stayed with us as some of your statements do not fit the services we offer! Firstly check in time is at 2pm in our hotel and we always cater for early arrivals if we know in advance. Secondly the last bus returning from the train station is at 10.50pm and not at 5pm. Thirdly our menu ranges from Lamb shank and Beef Casserole to Burgers and Fish and Chips and none of our items contains mashed potao, beans and sausages as a dish.
And finally none of our staff members speak Welsh and I have had no other complains regarding the shuttle service.
Please get in touch with me as soon as you can.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

I only stayed here for one night but couldn't really fault it.

The check in was straightforward and the staff very friendly. My room was clean and comfortable with effective air conditioning (although it did make the atmosphere very dry when I accidentally left it on overnight).

The bar food in the evening was good. There wasn't a huge selection but the curry I had was very pleasant. The bar itself was still open when I got back to the hotel at midnight and again the staff were friendly and helpful.

My only criticism involves breakfast. The quantity and variety of food was great, but the cooked option was poor. The sausages were low quality and as for the scrambled egg; tasteless and dry is probably the best I can say about it. I suspect it was from powdered egg but it wasn't good. Which is a shame because the rest of breakfast was.

Overall a pleasant stay and I would recommend this Holiday Inn (but not the scrambled egg!)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Pyrobod
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. I am glad that you have found the staff very friendly and that the room has been clean and confortable.
I am very happy about the comments regarding the evening food as we are not a full service hotel we are not able to offer a wide range of items on our menu but its great to hear that the quality has been to your satisfaction and you have enjoyed your meal with us.
I am sorry that our complimentary breakfast has not been to your liking and I have been in touch with our supplier to discuss the quality of the hot dishes. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed at Holidday Express Rhoose, prior to our Christmas 2012 holiday destination. The booking was made via the internet and was wonderful value for money. The room was very spacious and clean, with staff friedly, polite and helpful. The bar food in the evening was ok, with a good choice for breakfast. s the hotel is within walking distance of the airport, I would definately recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Exp... M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Many Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us. Hope you had a nice holiday.

Its a pleasure to know that our guests appreciate our efforts and it goes a long way in motivating the team. We do pride oursleves on the product that we offer and reviews such as yours ensure that we are heading into the right direction.

I note that you rated everything as good but the food as ok. Please do get in touch with me directly at the hotel and i would like to hear what would you like us to serve for your next visit. We really appreciate feedback from our guests and are flexible enough to modify our products according to the guests needs.

Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night family of 3 rooms clean, polite helpful staff, bar food great and not badly priced!breakfast all what you need to send you on your way. Would most definitely stay here again for the price we paid £42
10/10 for a airport hotel better than travel lodge or premier

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thanks You very much for rating us above our competition in the area i.e. Travelodge and Premier Inn

Reviewed 22 December 2012

Wonderful views of the airport from the dining area at breakfast made our stay an unforgetteble on for our kids. They loved seeing plane taxi and take-off closeby. Excellent customer service to our family by receptionist Jessica Fresens. She was always ready to help. Thank you. Martin and Euci.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the airport if that is your sort of thing.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Prashant Vaid

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhoose
Celtic International Hotel Cardiff Airport
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4
Cefn Mably Hotel
Cefn Mably Hotel
#2 of 4 in Penarth

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport? Share your experiences!