“Stopover”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rhoose
Swansea County, United Kingdom
“Stopover”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Clean comfortable and convenient we stayed in room g8on the ground floor right by the doors very convenient comfortable bed we thought it would be noisy being so close to the airport but we did not hear any noise, the lady on duty even rang us to make sure we were up on time. Basic food in the restaurant it was only ok breakfast was included again basic but plenty of it.Transfer to airport excellent transfer from airport awful had to wait 30 min outside in the rain and cold for the taxi would only book parking with the hotel in the summer

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swanjack
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport here on tripadvisor.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that everything during your stay was to your satisfaction.
I am sorry to hear that your return journey has taken such a long time. We have to use taxi services sometimes when we have got no drivers on the premises and we inform our customers that there could be a 20 minute waiting time. Please accept my sincerest appology that in your case the waiting time has been longer.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.
Deputy GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Pontyclun, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Check-in as a priority club member was quick and efficient. The two staff on duty were friendly and helpful.
The room was spacious, light and airy. It was clean and looked well kept. There was a choice of pillows, soft and firm, ample hanging space for an overnight stay and tea/coffee making facilities within the room.
We had an enjoyable evening meal from a limited menu. The food, although basic, was edible and well presented. The hot continental breakfast suffered as a result of a lack of choice, although it was Christmas day when we had this meal. What was available was again edible.
We had a good night sleep, the en-suite bathroom was ‘lovely’, according to my wife who can be rather critical of such facilities. We were not disturbed by the fellow guests. A rare occurrence in hotels of this type
Check-out was equally efficient and, as we had a ‘Park and Stay’ offer, the transfer to the airport was emotional – three adults, two large bags all fitting in to a very small car, but we had a laugh.
Sadly, our only gripe surrounds the transfer back to the hotel on return from our holiday. Despite two minibuses and a hotel car, all parked outside of the hotel reception area, we had to wait 20 minutes, in an open airport car park, for a taxi to drive from Barry to pick us up for the 5 minute journey back to the hotel. We were disappointed by the lack of efficiency surrounding this service!

Room Tip: had a third floor room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cycling_gnome
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us over the festive period and the facilities offered have been to your satisfaction. Our complimentary breakfast buffet includes pastries, cereals, cheese, toast, bread rolls, joghurts jam etc. and you have got our three hot favourites sausages, scrambled eggs and beans and I am sorry that you did find that there was a lack of choice for your taste.
Regarding the shuttle pick up on your return we do inform our customers with an information letter that on some occasions due to no drivers on the premises that we use taxis to pick up our customers and that there can be a waiting time up to 20minutes. This letter would have been handed to you with your parking forms. I do appologize for any inconvenience that might have caused you on that occasion.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Fact: ordered meal at 17.30.. Cold soup arrived 17.45.
Meal arrived 19.15 after 3 requests for service. Meal did not include side orders already paid for.
Opinion: the rudest waitress ever met.
Fact: no forks available all evening to eat food with. Told to use another guest's fork when complained about situation!
Breakfast food almost all water.
Sausages very watery. Egg very watery.
Abrupt reception staff on check in verging on insolent.
Similar off handed on check out.
The only connection with holiday and express at this hotel was the speed at which we left.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport.
I understand that you might have felt that the service on that particular day might have been a little bit slow and not to your satisfaction but as you know the hotel has been booked completely from the airport due to cancellations because of snow disruptions.We had the whole Tenerife flight staying with us that night as the airport next door has closed. We did our best to arrange additional resources as this was a last minute booking of 63 rooms.
We actually opened the restaurant at 5pm on that day and before you placed your order another 30 people were already waiting for their food. I agree it was not the best situation but I can assure you that we tried our best to cope with 150 guests ordering food at the same time.
We are a limited service hotel and we advised every guests coming to order food that there will be a wait because of the volume of people.I am sure you can imagine delivering 150 cook to order meals in a span of 4 hours can be a daunting task for any limited service establishment.
However I do apologize that it has been such a long time in your case. Yes we did run out of forks yet again because of the high volume of people eating at the same time and we replenished them as we went along.
With regards to our complimentary breakfast , which includes three 6 different kinds of pastries, bread rolls, cereals, cheese, yoghurt, jam and our hot favourites sausages, scrambled eggs and beans, I will investigate this further as till date we have not receive any adverse comments from that day about the quality of the breakfast food.

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Ideal for easy airport option, the hotel was clean modern and had friendly staff also a complimentary minibus drop off and pick up.
I booked the free parking option as this was the reason for using the hotel ( value for money) however there was a query when we arrived saying there would be a charge however the manageress authorised the promised free parking.
Made the start of the holiday that little bit easier.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Value for money free bus service. check price of parking or try for a free parking option.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for your kind words here on tripadvisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all facilities were to your satisfaction. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future and please be assured that I will share your comments with our staff in the hotel.

Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Stayed here for one night before going on holiday. On arrival we were met with odd looks and no greetings whatsoever. The gentleman in reception did not greet us, just told us to 'hang on for the real receptionist'. After a ten minute wait the receptionist came and asked me for my name and booking reference (still waiting for the greeting!) He told us our room number and pointed us to the sign which told us what floor we were on. I decided to ask where we could have a meal as we had not eaten all day. He led me outside the door and pointed me next door to the adjoining pub. After getting changed and putting away our cases in our rooms (which were quite nice, in all fairness) we decided to go to the next door pub for something to eat and a few drinks.
When we we entered the pub you could immediately feel that this was a 'locals only' establishment. A large group of men had occupied the entire back restaurant area to watch a rugby game and were clearly not going to move for the few people who dared to come in and eat. Upon ordering [overpriced and flat] drinks, we found a table outside which was covered in cigarette ash and was sticky from spilled drinks. Suffice it to say we quickly drank said drinks and escaped to our room until the next morning. It is a shame because the hotel has such a good location in relation to the airport. I would never stay here again purely because it makes you feel unsafe and inferior. I have never experienced this in a hotel before. Such a shame.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

After trying to contact yourself and tripadvisor on several occasions this review is unfortunatley still on our page. You have posted the review to the wrong hotel. We have not got an adjoinig pub to our hotel. We have got a restaurant in our hotel where we serve food daily from 5.30pm - 9.30pm. We don't have a TV either in the back of our restaurant or an outside dining area. This review is obviously for our competitors and was posted to our site.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2013

okay one would definitely chose a hotel and or location like this to spend his vacations... S this is a transit hotel to and from the airport but still...
One of the most unfriendly staff I have ever encountered (definitely not used in the uk at all)
We arrived early after returning our rental car at the airport as we wanted visit Cardiff. The VERY first thing I heard from the front desk was: CHECK IN IS AT 3! No not even a good morning first, just this. And a welcome to you too sir. Okay fine one can have a bad day too right? Okay we went downtown (takes you like about an hour by bus and train) and REALLY enjoyed the city. Definitely met some truly friendly Welsh people.
As the last bus returning from the station to the hotel was at 5pm, we decided we would have a bite to eat at the hotel. WRONG: mashed potatoes, can of backed beans and overcooked sausage. Thanks that there was plenty of beer to wash it down.
Next morning the check out procedure was silent, barely a word or even a thank you was said by the reception guy.
As the regular shuttle had omit to make a stop at the hotel, the reception definitely did not like the idea of having to take a bus and dive us (some 10 people ) to the airport. It is just after several arguments from us all that they finally went and got a bus. Not to say that we all had to listen to some profanities thrown at us (most likely in welsh as I couldnot make up the name calling).
I would like to end up by saying that none of the staffmember do represent the brand that Holiday Inn stands for, for one bit!

As said before this is not a hotel where one would stay severla nights. the rooms are typical what you would expect from a HI Express; basic and functional.
Location: in the middle of nowhere
Restaurant: the cuisine of B urger King deserves a michelin star compared to what is served in this place.
Recommend it: NO just in high necessity; I would suggest to stay downtown and enjoy all what the great city of Cardiff has to offer and make an early start if you have to catch a plane.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your experience here on tripadvisor. I would like to take this oppurtunity to ask you to get in touch with me via e-mail under deputy@exhicardiffairport.co.uk to tell me when you have actually stayed with us as some of your statements do not fit the services we offer! Firstly check in time is at 2pm in our hotel and we always cater for early arrivals if we know in advance. Secondly the last bus returning from the train station is at 10.50pm and not at 5pm. Thirdly our menu ranges from Lamb shank and Beef Casserole to Burgers and Fish and Chips and none of our items contains mashed potao, beans and sausages as a dish.
And finally none of our staff members speak Welsh and I have had no other complains regarding the shuttle service.
Please get in touch with me as soon as you can.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I only stayed here for one night but couldn't really fault it.

The check in was straightforward and the staff very friendly. My room was clean and comfortable with effective air conditioning (although it did make the atmosphere very dry when I accidentally left it on overnight).

The bar food in the evening was good. There wasn't a huge selection but the curry I had was very pleasant. The bar itself was still open when I got back to the hotel at midnight and again the staff were friendly and helpful.

My only criticism involves breakfast. The quantity and variety of food was great, but the cooked option was poor. The sausages were low quality and as for the scrambled egg; tasteless and dry is probably the best I can say about it. I suspect it was from powdered egg but it wasn't good. Which is a shame because the rest of breakfast was.

Overall a pleasant stay and I would recommend this Holiday Inn (but not the scrambled egg!)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Pyrobod
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. I am glad that you have found the staff very friendly and that the room has been clean and confortable.
I am very happy about the comments regarding the evening food as we are not a full service hotel we are not able to offer a wide range of items on our menu but its great to hear that the quality has been to your satisfaction and you have enjoyed your meal with us.
I am sorry that our complimentary breakfast has not been to your liking and I have been in touch with our supplier to discuss the quality of the hot dishes. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Deputy GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhoose
Celtic International Hotel
Travelodge Cardiff Airport
The Mount Rooms
The Mount Rooms
#4 of 5 in Barry
Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay
Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Aberthaw House Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport? Share your experiences!