“Great Hotel and Superb Service”

Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rhoose
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We flew from Cardiff for the first time Sat 31st August and as usual we choose a hotel to stay at the night before, its just makes things more relaxed.

Having stayed at other Holiday Inn hotels by airports we again took what has always been a safe bet and booked the HIE Cardiff Airport. We booked well in advance and got a great price for a room to accommodate 2 adults, a child and infant.

Upon arrival which was just after 2300hrs check in was straight forward and hassle free, luggage trolleys easily available to help with our mountain of luggage. The lift was small but didnt present an issue. The room was clean and made up as per prior request.

Bathroom clean and adequate with usual HI extras if required.

Beds comfortable which helped for a good nights sleep.

In the morning the inclusive buffet breakfast was surprising good quality much better than expected and quite enjoyable.

We then asked about the shuttle as prior to booking we inquired about it as its vital with all the luggage we had. The hotel has a shuttle but not always drivers available it would seem, we were advised that a bus goes every 20 past the hour but when the person on reception recalled what we had to carry plus children they said they would arrange the hotel shuttle for our requested time of 10am.

Upon check out all was very straight forward and we were pleasantly surprised that the hotel arranged a taxi for us as they had some issue with the shuttle driver availability.

For us this was the icing on the cake as it went above and beyond what we expected and ensured everything went as smooth as possible.

I would certainly stay at this hotel again if we fly from Cardiff airport (which isn't so good) and recommend it for those what want a good, clean comfortable cost effective hotel.

5  Thank J H
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you you so much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay here on tripadvisor.
I am so happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to offer you a hassle free and relaxed stay.
Thank you very much for making us the hotelk of choice for your next holidays and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Our holiday flights usually, because of the flight times we want, tend to depart from Cardif Airport. We stay here the night before as you cannot get any closer to the airport and you can leave your car while away in the secure car park. We paid 60 quid for one nights accommodation and 30 quid to leave the car for the week.

The hotel has a suttle bus and you book your leaving time when you check in. The accommodation comes with a continental breakfast.

The hotel is very clean and it runs like clockwork. If I have one issue with it, it is the rather limited range of offerings in the hotel eatery but I have seen folk bring their own take-aways in which no one seems to mind.

One post comments on the limited availability of the shuttle bus but it runs twice an hour and if you miss it that's your fault! I certainly would not want to be kept waiting if someone cannot get their act together.

If you are going to arrive late, take a bottle of wine, water and some sarnies with you.

1  Thank toddman572001
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you first of all for your loyalty and for staying with us the third time.
I am a bit surprised about the comments regarding the restaurant as we do offer four different starters, ten main courses, three desserts and we do have daily special on offer too.
We are changing the menu again beginning of October so I will take your comments on board.
Before 6.20 am our shuttle bus is runnig every 20min or even more frequently on request. We do use the public service bus after 6.20am to reduce our carbon footprint but we always try to meet our customers needs and we wont leave anyone waiting another hour if they have missed their bus.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Reception friendly, room clean and modern. I was on my own, it would certainly have been a bit tight if there were 4 people. (2 + 2). Arrived at 2200 and the only option for food at that time was crisps, chocolate or 'Pot Noodle' from a vending machine or an offer of some take-away menus to order in (Not exactly what I wanted at 10pm, a sandwich or similar would have been nice). I made do with a large glass of merlot!
The bathroom was small but well appointed, the shower hot but a little feeble, the bed comfortable.
Breakfast was a 'free' buffet with a small selection of hot plus a larger selection of pastries, fruit, yogurt etc. All OK.
Having travelled by public transport the next disappointment came this morning when I asked how to get to the terminal building. The answer: walk - 5 to 10 minutes in the rain or the once an hour bus that leaves at 20m minutes past each hour. I missed the bus so got wet!
1 bus an hour really is not good enough, I am only thankful that I am not infirm or have a couple of suit cases with me. Is it unreasonable to expect an airport hotel to have a shuttle to the terminal? I don't think so.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay here on Tripadvisor.
I am sorry that you were not able to eat in the restaurant but our restaurant is open from 5.30pm until 9.30pm we would have been able to provide you with take away menus after closing time.
We do use the public bus after 6am to reduce our carbon footprint as the bus is passing the hotel anyway but the member of staff who checked you in should have explained that and book you on the bus or book you a taxi to make you journey more comfortable.
Would you be so kind to get back to me under deputy@exhicardiffairport.co.uk so I can investigate who checked you in and out.
Thank you very much in advance.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

hello all just had a cracking break we stayed at holiday inn Cardiff airport we arr on the Wednesday 4th sept to the 9th sept am not as mobile ie with walking had a fall in the room on Wednesday soon as we got to the room my wife went down to see if some 1 could help me getting up and 3 men came up to the room to help me i would like to say thank you to them for helping me all the staff were great made us feel at home the hotel is very close to the airport if it was closer it be on the runway i must say we didt hear any planes at all from the room so didt loose any sleep at all the all so have a restaurant in the hotel which was cheap and we were very happy with the food we even took my mum and dad to the hotel and they really enjoyed there stay like us it was are 1st time staying here and we will be back again next time we come down the all so have a little gym with treadmill and bike machine but as i would like to say big thanks to all the staff at the holiday inn Cardiff airport from the hodge family from Liverpool and Sammy the dog

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mark h
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Sir,

I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities offered have been to your satisfaction. Please be assured that I will send your thank yous to the staff member's involved helping you in the room.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I use this hotel five or six times a year. We can rely on the quality of accommodation and the helpfulness of the staff. They are always cheerful, even at four in the morning when they provide breakfast and a shuttle bus service to the airport

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Liz N

Dear Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your loyality and for chossing us for your accomodations needs whenever you are in the area.

I am very happy that all staff members are delievering a consistent excellent service and are always helpful and cheerfull.

Thank you again and I hope we will see you soon

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed here on August 25th for 1 night and cant speak highly enough of the hotel and its staff. The hotel was very clean and had the added benefit of a play station, wii and a free play air hockey table to keep our children amused. Didn't sample the evening meal so cant comment on that but the early morning breakfast was good prior to our flight to Turkey. The Airport shuttle was quick and efficient and was actually cheaper to stay here than leave our car at the front car park at the airport for our holiday....We will definitely do this again next year!!!!! Many thanks Holiday Inn express

1  Thank Jonathan H

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to share them here on tripadvisor.
I am so happy to read that you have had a hassle free stay and that all facilities offered to you have been to your satisfaction.
I am sure the staff will be thrilled to read your comments and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We were looking for weekend family accommodation with easy access to central Cardiff, but we started looking with 4 days to go and there was limited hotel availability and prices were high. The Holiday Inn Express at Cardiff Airport seemed surprisingly cheap compared with other options, had availability, and for some reason was only coming up on one or two of the Hotel finder web sites that we tried.

We arrived about 8.30pm on a Friday night and were a bit concerned that the very large car park (free to guests) appeared full, but a space became available after a couple of minutes. Looking in the car park on the following two nights there were more spaces, so late Friday may just be a bad time.

When we got to our room we found it was a smoking room, Checking our booking there was no mention of smoking or non-smoking so we could not complain that much when the front desk could not move us to a non-smoking room (apparently none were available).The room had been made up with a double bed and a large double sofa bed which met our purposes. The room was clean and functional with TV, air conditioning , coffee making facilities etc.

Although we were not flying anywhere we walked to the airport to see what was there and it was only a few minutes walk away.

To travel to central Cardiff we caught a bus. There is a fast bus that goes every hour, but we ended up catching a (much cheaper) normal bus that only took 30mins into the centre (but runs less frequently), Train would also have been an option. There is a bus stop very close to the hotel, but on the journey back the bus does not go past that bus stop - so you need to get off at the airport and walk. We did not realise this and went on one stop too far but it was still only a few minutes walk back.

Buffet Breakfast in the hotel was very good. I have stayed in hotels with bigger selections and more fancy options, but the breakfast here did the job. Cooked breakfast was: sausage, beans and scrambled egg, and there were plenty of other options such as croissants, cereal etc.

Bar is open until 2.00am with TV and pool table in large bar area adjoining reception area.

No problems with noise while I was there - staff were very friendly.

Hotel is also only a few miles from Barry island if you want to spend time at the beach.

We were there for an event in Cardiff and did not spend that much time at the hotel, but for our purposes it was very good.

1  Thank WelwynTraveller

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. Firstly I would like to apologize that you had to stay in a smoking room but as you have stated in your comment no preferences were given. Please book directly with us in the future so we can make sure that you are able to get the room you would like to have.

I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy Cardiff and its surroundings.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Deputy GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhoose
Celtic International Hotel Cardiff Airport
The Mount Rooms
The Mount Rooms
#4 of 5 in Barry
Travelodge Cardiff Airport
Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4
Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport? Share your experiences!