“Bad experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rhoose
London, United Kingdom
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Cardiff Airport for the August Bank Holiday Weekend (2 nights). Upon arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist and told that instead of the non-smoking double room we had booked, we were going to stay in a smoking twin room and there was no discussion about this since it was the very last room left. We would have appreciated a more collaborative approach, especially since my girlfriend is astmatic and very sensitive about smoke. But the response was "take it or leave it as there's nothing else I can physically do about it." Since we had no other choice, we accepted. The room was of good Holiday Inn standard as usual, but we found that all other rooms had sofas as well whereas ours did not have one.
Breakfast the next morning was rather poor, especially the scrambled eggs did have no taste at all. However, when we wanted to have our breakfast the morning after (it was the bank holiday Monday), we were quite surprised to see that it was already over at 9.30 since we were told that breakfast was until 10.30 the night we arrived. Apparently this was only true for the Sunday and not for Bank holidays. So we did not have any breakfast at all. It also seemed like we were not the only guests surprised and confused about this, as many arrived after us finding themselves in the same situation with no food left.
In conclusion, this was quite a negative experience and even though the price paid was rather low, we would definitely not go back to the Holiday Inn Cardiff Airport.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
CDFAP-GSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 9 October 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to read that your recent stay with us at Cardiff Airport was not in line with our consistently high standards of service. I would like to ensure you that you review is very important to us as it is through guest feedback that we are constantly able to monitor and improve the service we offer.

It is not our policy to change a guest room type once the reservation has been booked and confirmed. It may be possible that you booked a standard room type (which does not guarantee a specific room type or smoking preference, this is allocated upon arrival depending on availability). We are currently reviewing the reservations that weekend to determine if that was the case.

In your review you state that your twin room had the sofabed missing, at Cardiff Airport only our double rooms are fitted with sofabeds - none of the twins have them as they are only designed to sleep a maximum of 2 people.

You are correct in stating that Breakfast should be served until 10.30 on Bank holidays, I am sorry for our teams confusion concerning this during the recent August Bank holiday. This issue has now been rectified and will not be repeated.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls during your recent visit. If you do read this reply I would invite you to contact me direct at the hotel to discuss your review further. I would like the opportunity to put right your impression of the hotel and hope to welcome you back to experience our hotel at its best offering the standards of service our guests both expect and deserve.

Kind regards

Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Newton;, Swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

Stayed here at the beginning of our trip. Left the car and stayed upon our return to the airport. The Hotel is clean, rooms light and airy, staff very friendly. Upon our return our flight was running late and we needed a meal so I telephoned the hotel to enquire if it was possible to reserve a meal for us - I was told that would not be a problem. We enjoyed the meal on our outbound trip so I ordered the same meal again. Fortunately we arrived before the restaurant was closing, but only just. Our meal was arranged by Carl the customer service agent on duty. We checked in, went to the restaurant, had a leisurely drink and a perfect supper. We did not feel that we were being rushed. Thank you Carl and your Staff for making us feel so welcome. See you soon.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
CDFAP-GSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review here on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your comments and am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your recent visits to our hotel.

All of our staff are totally committed to delivering outstanding guest service and it is very encouraging for us to know that this was evident during your stay with us.
Thank you for your kind words concerning Carl's Service, I have forwarded a copy of your review onto him and our general manager.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to offer you another warm welcome when you next fly from Cardiff Airport.

Kind Regards

Newcastle, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights in August 2010 on a visit to "See South Wales". Ideal location for our needs and even better for anyone flying in or out of Cardiff airport.

I have stayed in various Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses over the last few years, and I can say this was probably the best one I have stayed in from a "value" point of view.

As per earlier postings the staff were very cheerful and helpful and the rooms very clean and bright. Not really a complaint, but as the hotel will see the majority of guests staying one night either before or after a flight, they seem to think that some drawer space would not be useful. However, anyone staying for few days or more will have to be prepaired to "live out of a suitcase" as no drawers are available in the room and hanging space is very limited.

Bathroom spotless with a very good shower.

For all the airport is "just across the road", we did not hear any aircraft noise at all.

Pleasant bar / lounge area with Sky Sports football on a large screen TV. (TV channels in the bedrooms are limited and do not include Sky) Drinks a little more expensive than your local pub prices but not excessive.

No problems at the breakfast buffet but we did eat late (8.30 - 9.00am). I can only guess that earlier reviewers who were not complimentary about breakfast ate at peak times.

Did not use for evening meals as selection was quite basic, but we did see guests seemingly enjoying what they were eating.

A choice of plenty other eating establishments within a 10 to 15 minute drive, with the best one by a long chalk being the Raj Kinara in the Pontygary Caravan Park. If someone had told me that the best Indian meal I would have this year was going to be in a caravan park I would have laughed it off, but as we dined here on the first night and found it just soooo good, we had to pay a second visit. (Directions .... turn left outside hotel, left again at second roundabout, straight ahead at third roundabout, left at fourth roundabout and continue through Rhoose village. At the far end of the village you will come across a set of traffic lights with a pub on the right hand side. Turn left at the lights and under the low railway bridge. Follow the road round to your right and the last building on the right is the Raj Kinara.)

No hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
CDFAP-GSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 3 September 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to offer you feedback using tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Cardiff Airport and trust you enjoyed your time exploring all that our region has to offer.

We are fortunate to be located on the Glamorgan Heritage Coast and are ideally located as you say for both the airport and exploring Cardiff, Barry and the wider Vale of Glamorgan.

As a hotel we are committed to delivering clean & comfortable accommodation whilst offering value for money to our guests. Your review is very encouraging and I am pleased we were able to fulfil your accommodation needs.

The Raj Kinara is a poular choice among our guests when considering dining out options and we are pleased to recommend them. I will pass your compliments onto the propreitors.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to the scenic Vale of Glamorgan.

Many Thanks

south west of england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Very reasonable rate for a fresh and clean stopover hotel. The bedroom and bathroom were immaculately clean (and I am very fussy). All staff very friendly and helpful. The only way I would improve the hotel would be to have firmer mattresses, but that is a personal preference. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your tripadvisor review following your recent stay with us at Cardiff Airport.

Comfort, Cleanliness and value for money are all key aspects that we pride ourselves on.

I am pleased we were able to fulfil your accommodation needs

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel when you next use Cardiff Airport.

Many thanks and happy travels

Herning, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

I've stayed in this hotel twice, but I've only arrived late in the evening and left very early in the morning..

The rooms are quite nice, but if you need an internet connections, be aware that it's quite expensive..

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stays with us at Cardiff Airport.

I am pleased you are satisfied with our bedrooms.

With regards to the internet pricing, we are presently in negotiations with our Internet Service Provider to re assess the guest internet charges.

On your next visit, may I suggest you try our 'Internet Bed & Breakfast Rate' which does offer savings over purchasing internet seperately.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when you next use Cardiff Airport.

Kind Regards

Exeter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2010

My partner and I stayed at this Holiday Inn for a wedding, we arrived and checked in all fine except when we got to the room we noticed the bed seemed a little moveable and bouncy but this was overshadowed by the fact we couldn't get the tv to do anything including turning it off. We called reception and they sent a man who tried to fix it but we ended up changing rooms.
We settled in to our new room, watched some tv and then tried to sleep. However all night every time me or my partner moved it was like the whole mattress wobbled. so no sleep for either of us. Mentioned this at check out and got a sorry heres the bill brush off.

Plus points of this hotel:
clean
handy location for airport and Fonman castle
surprisingly quiet for location to airport

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review following your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am very sorry that you had an uncomfortable night with us.

Our beds and matresses have a strict inspection regine in place to ensure they are comfortable and fit for use. The hotel managment and the Express brand have high expectations with regard to guest service and comfort and I am sorry that these were not evident during your recent visit.

I can assure you that we welcome all guest feedback and take it seriously, It is a shame this was not conveyed to you upon check out.

I would welcome the opportunity to disuss this review further with you and restore your confidence in the Holiday Inn Express Brand. If you read this please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the hotel on 01446 711117.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding and had a great weekend inspite of the above.

Again please accept my apologies and I hope to hear from you soon

Many Thanks

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

we arrived at 8pm very friendly welcome,glad 2 find that we could still get food served till 9pm.loved the room so clean,modern+comfortable,bathroom is lush so cleverly designed!!breakfast plenty 2 choose from,great location 2 airport ! wud defianately stay here again

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
CDFAP-GSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
Many Thanks for taking the time to post a review and offer your comments.

It is a great encouragement for all of our team to receive positive feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at Cardiff Airport.

We have a commitment to deliver a 'Great hotel that guests love' and your review highlights that we are heading in the right direction.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhoose
Celtic International Hotel
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Tadross Hotel
Tadross Hotel
#5 of 5 in Barry

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport? Share your experiences!