“Unusually bad service”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rhoose
Reading, United Kingdom
“Unusually bad service”
Reviewed 10 December 2010

My wife and I were visiting South Wales earlier this week on distressing family business. We booked a night at the Cardiff Airport Holiday Inn Express, as we have done on number of occasions. It is very conveniently located for us, and hitherto has served our few needs well. Few frills, clean, friendly service, fair value.

However, when we arrived at 22:30 on 8 December, rather weary after a long day, things went badly wrong. First we were allocated a room next to the staircase, in which we had stayed previously and been disturbed by a noisy fire door. I asked to change our room, which was agreed. However, the heating/air conditioning controller had broken down in this room, which was distinctly cold - not surprising since it was below zero outside. I returned again to the reception desk seeking help and was told by one of the desk clerks that he would be up 'in a few minutes'. We waited for at least 5 minutes in a very cold room, but he never arrived. So we returned to the desk for a fourth time to ask for yet another room. We were less than happy with the 'service' and became really annoyed when none of the staff (there were now five of them!) in the otherwise deserted reception area seemed remotely interested in our plight, let alone apologetic. I confess I slammed my hand down on the counter and asked what I needed to do to get any service from them. Eventually one of the clerks found a new room for us where the heating worked, though one of her (male) colleagues who had been around during each of my previous visits seemed to think my attitude amounted to abuse.

So, we feel very let down by our latest visit to Holiday Inn Express, Cardiff Airport and will be very reluctant to stay there in future.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
CDFAP-GSM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 21 December 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that you felt we did not come up to standard on this occasion and i have looked into your experience and fed this back to the staff involved.

I understand that you had a room which was not quiet enough for you, being next to a fire escape and I further understand that your next room had an issue with the heating. I am very sorry that you had these experiences and I hope that it will not deter you from staying with us again.

Please contact me directly when making your next booking with us so that i can personally ensure your stay is a pleasant one.

Alyson Greening General Manager Holiday Inn Express

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Swansea
Reviewed 5 December 2010

A good standard of hotel and very near to the airport. Very corporate but has everything you need for an overnight stay. My only criticism would be that the evening meals could be a bit more spectacular. They were very ordinary and basic, and as its the start of a holiday for lots you want something a bit better. The only other thing was the volume was set on the tv and you couldnt alter it... I can understand they prob do that so as not to inconvencience other guests with loud volume but I am partially deaf so couldnt hear the telly and there was no facility to turn on the subtitles.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
CDFAP-GSM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 10 December 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback which is always very valuable to us. We have taken on board your comments regarding the television and I can advise you that we are now able to access subtitles on request. In addition we are also now reexamining our food offer and I am very eager to hear from our guests what they may like to see on our evening menu so please feel free to email me at the hotel website with your suggestions.

I am very pleased that overall your stay went well and I look forward to welcoming you back with us in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Room with settee converting to bed is a roomy option. Soaps in permanent dispenser.Mean of teas and milks.Scrambled eggs overcooked rubbery and bounceable coagulate. Toast always dreadful and basic.Always problems with toasters.
Holiday Inns Ex basically are Holiday Inn Ex. Remote location can be hair raising on bad weather days. If you are Priority Club please don't think you get a free night if you book
two nights. The nights have to be on separate stays!! Cunning. The hotel says that other guests are unhappy about Priority Club deals and points and communications with them I have had enough of this set up. Good luck. The memer of staff greeting us was not welcoming.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of us on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to see that you were unhappy with the standards of service, particularly with regard to breakfast.

We pride ourselves on providing excellent service standards and I am very disappointed to see that you felt the member of staff on duty was not welcoming. I have investigated your booking and given feedback to the staff member involved.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in your service and I would be happy to discuss this with you further. Please contact me direct at the hotel.

London
Reviewed 20 November 2010

This is a great little clean, fresh and convienient hotel. It's right next to Cardiff airport and they offer a free shuttle bus service. Staff were quite friendly. Rooms were spacious with tea and coffee making facilities. Room rates are very reasonable too and they offer free parking. If your a priority club member you can get express check in and check out at 2pm rather than 12pm. The only let down was the breakfast. The continental section is good but the hot breakfast is limited and didn't taste all that great. However they do start serving breakfast from 4am which is very handy if your getting an early morning flight. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you had a comfortable stay.

I look forward to seeing you again on your next stay with us.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2010

If you want to rely on return transport to pick your cars up, you may have problem with this hotel as it is understaffed at night.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
CDFAP-GSM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 19 November 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding our shuttle service. Unfortunately we did encounter a problem on the night you returned back to the airport and I am sorry that you did not experience our normal standards of service on this occasion. Please accept my apologies and I hope that we will see you again so that we can ensure your stay is as good as you would expect it to be.

clacton
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We found this hotel at the last minute travelling down from north wales on our way home to essex. We were surprised as our two border collie dogs could stay aswell. Very friendly staff, lovely clean modern room and plenty of choice for breakfast. Would def stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
CDFAP-GSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Thank you for your tripadvisor review following your recent stay with us at Cardiff Airport.

Comfort, Cleanliness and Quality are all key aspects that we pride ourselves on.

I am pleased we were able to fulfil your accommodation needs

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to the scenic Vale of Glamorgan.

Many thanks and happy travels!

James Coombe
Guest Service Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Cardiff Airport for the August Bank Holiday Weekend (2 nights). Upon arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist and told that instead of the non-smoking double room we had booked, we were going to stay in a smoking twin room and there was no discussion about this since it was the very last room left. We would have appreciated a more collaborative approach, especially since my girlfriend is astmatic and very sensitive about smoke. But the response was "take it or leave it as there's nothing else I can physically do about it." Since we had no other choice, we accepted. The room was of good Holiday Inn standard as usual, but we found that all other rooms had sofas as well whereas ours did not have one.
Breakfast the next morning was rather poor, especially the scrambled eggs did have no taste at all. However, when we wanted to have our breakfast the morning after (it was the bank holiday Monday), we were quite surprised to see that it was already over at 9.30 since we were told that breakfast was until 10.30 the night we arrived. Apparently this was only true for the Sunday and not for Bank holidays. So we did not have any breakfast at all. It also seemed like we were not the only guests surprised and confused about this, as many arrived after us finding themselves in the same situation with no food left.
In conclusion, this was quite a negative experience and even though the price paid was rather low, we would definitely not go back to the Holiday Inn Cardiff Airport.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
CDFAP-GSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, 9 October 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to read that your recent stay with us at Cardiff Airport was not in line with our consistently high standards of service. I would like to ensure you that you review is very important to us as it is through guest feedback that we are constantly able to monitor and improve the service we offer.

It is not our policy to change a guest room type once the reservation has been booked and confirmed. It may be possible that you booked a standard room type (which does not guarantee a specific room type or smoking preference, this is allocated upon arrival depending on availability). We are currently reviewing the reservations that weekend to determine if that was the case.

In your review you state that your twin room had the sofabed missing, at Cardiff Airport only our double rooms are fitted with sofabeds - none of the twins have them as they are only designed to sleep a maximum of 2 people.

You are correct in stating that Breakfast should be served until 10.30 on Bank holidays, I am sorry for our teams confusion concerning this during the recent August Bank holiday. This issue has now been rectified and will not be repeated.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls during your recent visit. If you do read this reply I would invite you to contact me direct at the hotel to discuss your review further. I would like the opportunity to put right your impression of the hotel and hope to welcome you back to experience our hotel at its best offering the standards of service our guests both expect and deserve.

Kind regards

James Coombe
Guest Service Manager
Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhoose
Celtic International Hotel
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Tadross Hotel
Tadross Hotel
#5 of 5 in Barry

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport? Share your experiences!