Fisherman Fishing Lodge
US$287
  • Breakfast included
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsclub grand slamhis wifeascension bayfishcaptain gregnon judgmentalwater taximolelodging experienceshallow waterthese guysbeach sidebucket listin decembergreat hostsboat ridegreat cook
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 January 2012

“4th trip to Club Grand Slam; add another notch to the Trophy list.”
Reviewed January 10, 2012
My wife and I made another trip to Punta Allen this past Thanksgiven week, 2011. Club Grand Slam has expanded to a new Lodging Facility. The rooms are new, very large, clean, with AC, and hot water. The location is very close to the boat launch, convient when carrying all of the Fly Fishing gear. Lupita and Greg are working to provide a roomy relaxing lodging experience.

Chef Lupita did not disapoint; her new kitchen and grill is still serving up local Mayan fare that is unique to Mayan culture and brilliant to the taste buds. One should not spend a week at CGS without Lupita's Ceviche and a cold Lupita Margarita on the side!

The fishing was outstanding as usual. My wife and I both caught trophy Snook on this trip. The guides put us on fish daily and I was able to add another Permit this trip, this is three trips in a row with Permit caught. My wife and I both missed another Slam by one fish, two out of three is still a great day!

This trip as the sun was setting we experienced a large pod of Dolphins with just recently born calves, very cool. We were able to spend about 20 minutes with them. There are several species of migratory birds that call Ascension Bay home in late Fall and Winter thus there are always colorful birds wading or hanging out while we fish.

Cheers to Lupita and Greg, keep up the good work. I am planning another trip for the spring of 2012.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Owned by the fishing guides, Club Grand Slam is the casual, high-value, set-up for fly fishing the flats in Ascencion Bay. It's so good, that the newest high-priced fishing lodge in the area copped their name! It's not on the beach (instead, it's where the boats leave from), it doesn't have a pool or hot tubs. But what do those matter if you're fishing from early morning to nearly dark? The food is good, the accomodations are clean, casual, and perfectly adequate. The Mayan guides are great guys, wildly knowledgable, and, since they have a piece of the action, very intent on you catching fish and having a great time.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 4 December 2011

This was our first trip to Punta Allen and our first guided fishing trip. We drove ourselves into town from Tulum. The is rough, but definitely not the worst road. We forgot Greg's directions and ended up having to ask the local police to help us find Greg & Lupita. Apparently Greg was getting worried about us and he was driving aorund town looking for us - anyway we all found each other. When we got to the resort Lupita had margaritas (mmmm good!) and a wonderful dinner of homemade tamales waiting for us. The are very clean and everything needed for comfort - air conditioning, hot water, shower, towels, 2 queen beds, and lots of space to organize all of your trappings. Every morning at 6 am Greg's excellent coffee was delivered to our door. At 7 am it's time for breakfast and at 8 am it's off to go fishing or site seeing or both with Antonio & Francisco. We caught jacks, bonefish, snapper and barracudas. We saw Mayan ruins, osprey, flamingos, storks, crocodiles, manatees & dolphins - all in two days! We love this place and can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms get a nice evening breeze.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This past May my wife and I made our third trip to Club Grand Slam (CGS), eight days of fishing. Per our expectation based on the previous two trips; the food was excellent and the fishing was an experience never to forget.

Nothing static with Lupita’s grill. Old favorites and new Mayan dishes showed up at the dinner table every night. Have dinner with Lupita is a unique experience; Mayan fare is not readably available outside of the Yucatan region. My advice; let Lupita broaden your culinary experience with new dishes. If you are meat and potatoes person I am confident she can deliver on this request.

As the title of the post says; my wife and I Slammed on the 8th day of fishing. A pair of Tarpon, Bones, and Permit. The 7 fishing prior days were good to excellent. My wife and I have made three trips to CGS; we now have 3 Slams and the largest Bonefish caught by a female fly fishing angler!

Our success is due to the pool of guides that Greg has put together. My wife and I have fished with 6 different guides; all of which know the area very well and are good at handling a boat (we have been caught in a couple of weather fronts). The guides are good fly casters and always willing to give some advice. All of the guides have shown the ability to judge the casting capability of the angler and then place the angler for the best shot on the fish. The guides are flexible; they will fish what you want to fish.

Another plus to CGS is Greg; he will work with you on your casting. Explaining different types of cast per a given condition; shooting with windy conditions or landing a fly into the Mangroves without catching a branch. This is a nice option to have especially if one is new to Salt Water fly fishing.

Bottom line; Greg and Lupita can tailor their lodge to your needs along with tailoring activities and schedules.

Lodge logistics have never been a problem. We have always been met at the Cancun airport on time and arrive in Cancum on time for our departure.

Parting shot; the road to Punta Allen is still a Sunday afternoon drive of bliss!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Victoryloop
Reviewed 1 June 2011

This was my first trip, joining friends who stayed with Greg and Lupita last year. We got in late, after 2-1/2 hours of night-time driving over a rough rock road. And when we arrived, the table was set with a delicious dinner (and margaritas). I would stay there for Lupita's cooking alone, but on top of that Greg hooked us up with an excellent guide who put us on the most exciting bone fishing -- on the most beautiful flats -- I've ever fished. Our accommodations were perfect. It was just the place to get together with my friends. Best wishes Greg, Lupita, and Maria, and I hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: not a bad seat in the house (or at the table).
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends