“The Good Old Days - Now!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Fisherman Fishing Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Punta Allen
Reviewed 7 April 2012

If you are interested in a great saltwater fly fishing adventure, excellent Mexcian food, and the company of very good people, then fly into Cancun, drive south past the wall of resorts, condos and timeshares, then take a left just past Tulum. The road will lead you to Punta Allen and Club Grand Slam, where Greg and Lupita wll greet you with an ice cold margarita and their warm hospitality. Your room will be simple but spacious and comfortable, with plenty of room for fishing gear, a couple of comfy queen beds, a good rain shower, and the luxury of air conditioning that will enable you to sleep like a baby. Dinner will be awesome - perhaps fresh hogfish, or Lupita's enchiladas con mole, or if you are an East Coaster starved for a really good chille relleno, Lupita may surprise you. If you are really lucky, Maria will bring you a slice - or maybe two - of some of the best Tres Leches cake you have ever tasted.

In the morning, after an excellent breakfast accompanied by Greg's fresh French-press coffee, you'll join your two guides and head for the flats of Ascension Bay. You'll pass mating turtles, perhaps a dolphin or two, and if your timing is good, a manatee on your way to Tres Marias or another good bonefish sites that the guides have scoped out for you. You'll be awed by the colonies of roseate spoonbills, herons, and egrets in the mangroves that you pass, and you might even catch sight of a crane or ibis amongst them. The panga will slow and you will hop in the water with one of the guides beside you, and your buddy will head off to another site with the other guide - always one on one, standing right beside you to spot nervous water or tailing bonefish that you would never see on your own. They will also put you in excellent casting position, and help you work on shooting line or your double hauling so that you can get your fly to the fish, and feel that rush of a bonefish stripping line off your reel and getting deep into your backing as it heads off for Belize.

At the end of a week, or however long you stay, you wll be exhausted but very satisfied from your days on the water and your nights in the company of Greg and your fellow fishermen at Club Grand Slam, and already thinking about when to return. More than likely you will have caught a goodly number of bonefish, and if both lucky and a little skilled, perhaps tarpon and/or a permit. You will be making a vow to work on your casting for the next time, and determined to indeed score a grand slam of all three fish, which is very possible in Ascension Bay.

One word of caution - make sure you book with Club Grand Slam. Another place opened recently in Punta Allen that "borrowed" the term Grand Slam for its own name, and while glitzy and on the beach, and billing itself as a fishing resort, it does not even have its own guides, instead hiring on an as needed bases. Club Grand Slam and Greg and Lupita and all of their good folks are the real deal, and a good deal it is, too - much more reasonable than the other lodges. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 April 2012

My husband, a keen fly-fisherman, two small children (age 5 and 7) and I stayed with Greg and Lupita for 4 nights, three great days on the water. OK, John got to do 2 of those days by himself while the girls and I enjoyed the ambiance of Punta Allen, and we all went out for a day trip to see the Muyil ruins, birds, manatees, snorkel down a river, do a little fishing, etc. Our guides Fransisco and Adrian were apparently super stars with John on his 2 day fishing adventure but were also super sweet and patient with our children. So we all had a great time. We also thoroughly enjoyed the fact that this small (4 room) hotel lends itself well to a social experience - we enjoyed meeting and spending our evenings with the other guests. The rooms are comfortable, the upper balcony where meals are served is comfortable and had a nice breeze to keep it cool and mosquito free. And the icing on the cake was the food - WOW! We've traveled a fair bit in Mexico and Lopita consistently served up the best food we've had in the country. It was diverse, very interesting regional specialties, absolutely delicious and always a little too much! They also very kindly sourced "kid-friendly" food (e.g., peanut butter) but our two loved all of Lopita and Maria's cooking so they didn't have to crack open the jar. All in all a great place to go for the fishing, and it's also fun for the wife and kids - but next time i want to fish too!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I traveled with my wife and two young daughters through much of Yucatan in March 2012 and enjoyed the slow drive south of Tulum to the end of the road at Punta Allen. We had only three full days, 2 days of fishing for me and one day of sightseeing for all of us in the boat, and wished we had a few more. First and foremost, all staff were incredibly gracious, helpful and professional. Greg was a superb host, Lupita is a gourmet chef, and the other lodge staff were very friendly. Everyone was very friendly with our young daughters which we really appreciated. I fished with Francisco, a partner in the business, who is definitely a master guide. I fished only for bonefish as I had only done so once before. Even with some poor casting on my part, I was able to bring 3 of 7 fish to the hand on one day and 7 of 8 on the second day. This was a great thrill as we stalked bonefish around the shallow flats with lots of other sights to see as we fished. It was a great experience. Francisco was very patient and helpful, excellent qualities in a guide when the client is new to bonefish. After a great day on the water, a margarita was in hand shortly after returning to the lodge, then another.

The big surprise was the quality of food at the lodge. We have traveled to Mexico a few times, always on our own and stay in offbeat places so I have no experience with the resorts. But Lupita prepares the best food in Mexico as far as I can tell. What a treat every day, with a new menu each day! It was truly memorable.

The family had a fun day touring around with Francisco looking for birds, doing a little fishing and seeing some ruins. On the days I was fishing solo the girls had fun at the beach, in the playground, or just hanging out with the neighbours. We lucked out with the other lodge guests too, all very serious fishers, as everyone was exceptionally friendly.

Next time I will try for permit and tarpon, but it will hard to ignore the bonefish. The whole experience was first class.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Even non fishers will love staying with Greg and Lupita enjoying fantastic hospitality with top mexican food. The rooms were cool and roomy and exceptionally clean the power shower was much appreciated. Given that we were unfortunate to experience unseasonal windy and cloudy weather during our stay in Punta Allen our guides Antonio and Reuben excelled themselves finding feeding bones in trying conditions. A further plus was a diversion to see the manatees and the exceptional bird watching opportunities. Greg goes the extra mile to ensure your trip is a success.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian-Marj
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I landed my first permit! Ive been fishing for them at various lodges in Mexico and Key West but Club Grand Slam made it happen. During the week my wife Sandi and I caught plenty of bones but my focus was on permit and Sandi obliged. We had several chances at some very large fish every day, poling after large schools and chasing them on the beaches. If you have fished for them you know how difficult they can be. Not just dealing with the wind, glare, waves, etc.but at one point we were chasing this tailing permit and after a couple good casts the guide, Antonio, would retie as we were quietly high stepping along the beach staying in range. He must have changed flies on that particular fish 7 times before I finally blew him up with a frustrated cast!!!
Finally on the last day at about 2:30 on what turned out to be the worst day with clouds and high winds as we were motoring along, both head guide/owner Fransisco and Antonio spotted a big school at what seemed to be 200 yds away. Up on the bow I was scanning the low lit water and as Fransisco poled I got my first cast. On the third cast the whole boat lit up when the fish was screaming line heading South! These guys were as happy as I was if not more and would not let up until I had my permit. In fact, after Sandi was on the bow as we looked for the school, Fransisco asked if we wanted to go for Tarpon to complete a slam! I finally had to call it quits after it got late in the day and well past happy hour, they really wanted to make it happen!
That is what is best about this place, they really want you to have the best trip possible! Sandi and I were in Playa for a few days before fishing and took a cooking class, we told Greg and his wife Lupita obliged and we had a great time in the kitchen as well.

We have stayed at just about every lodge in Ascension Bay in the last 11 years and Club Grand Slam is the best fishing lodge! The price is perfect, the food exceptional, the rooms comfortable and clean but most importantly, the fishing staff is at the top of the field! They have a vested interest in the overall business and it shows, most of all they are great people too. Get down there now!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Club Grand Slam is an awesome destination for your next fly fishing excursion.
Bobby and Miguel do it right!
The accommodations – excellent
Food and Service – excellent
Guides – knowledgeable, genuinely friendly, and really want to get you on the fish.
Took the wives on this trip. They had a great time with eco-tours and hiking into the town of Punta Allen for lunch, site-seeing, etc.
This is high on my list for return visits.

Well done!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David L
Reviewed 30 January 2012

“4th trip to Club Grand Slam; add another notch to the Trophy list.”
Reviewed January 10, 2012
My wife and I made another trip to Punta Allen this past Thanksgiven week, 2011. Club Grand Slam has expanded to a new Lodging Facility. The rooms are new, very large, clean, with AC, and hot water. The location is very close to the boat launch, convient when carrying all of the Fly Fishing gear. Lupita and Greg are working to provide a roomy relaxing lodging experience.

Chef Lupita did not disapoint; her new kitchen and grill is still serving up local Mayan fare that is unique to Mayan culture and brilliant to the taste buds. One should not spend a week at CGS without Lupita's Ceviche and a cold Lupita Margarita on the side!

The fishing was outstanding as usual. My wife and I both caught trophy Snook on this trip. The guides put us on fish daily and I was able to add another Permit this trip, this is three trips in a row with Permit caught. My wife and I both missed another Slam by one fish, two out of three is still a great day!

This trip as the sun was setting we experienced a large pod of Dolphins with just recently born calves, very cool. We were able to spend about 20 minutes with them. There are several species of migratory birds that call Ascension Bay home in late Fall and Winter thus there are always colorful birds wading or hanging out while we fish.

Cheers to Lupita and Greg, keep up the good work. I am planning another trip for the spring of 2012.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
#13 of 100 in Tulum
Alaya Tulum
Alaya Tulum
#2 of 100 in Tulum

Been to Fisherman Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!