“Lise's place is amazing”

The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Lise's place is amazing”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay and experience Dominica, then look no further. Lise is very knowledgeable about the island and is willing to arrange any island excursion you can imagine. Her hotel rooms offer stunning views of the Caribbean Sea and a deck to watch the sun rise and set every day. Attached is also a restaurant and a bar. Every morning a complimentary breakfast is made upstairs in the dining area for hotel guests. They have fresh fruit and cook your eggs made to order. I highly recommend staying on a Saturday night so you can experience the cook's Sunday breakfast specialty, Johnny Cakes. The Johnny Cakes were so good I asked for the recipe and now make them as a special treat at home. You can't experience Dominica better anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Lise v, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
It makes us happy you enjoyed your stay at The Champs. And it is so great to hear you are still thinking about Dominica while making your own bakes (Johnnie Cakes)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Picard, Dominica
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed at Dechamps for the weekend. One of the things I loved about staying there is that it is a small business, but very well-run! The owners work very closely with their staff making it feel like a family. I always knew whatever I wanted or needed would be taken care of because they communicate well with each other!

In addition, as other reviewers have said, the rooms have beautiful views overlooking the Caribbean sea as Dechamps is located on a hill. My room was comfortable and spacious. Friday nights they have fine dining which is a delicious meal, but is a little more expensive because they bring in a chef for that. Other than Friday night dining and Saturday brunch, they have a regular menu. Breakfast mornings are wonderful, next to the kitchen on a balcony overlooking the sea. They will do breakfast to order except Sunday mornings when you get bakes.

Great job Lise and Hans!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 16 December 2014
Dear Laura,

Thank you for your excellent review. We are happy to know that you was very contented with your stay at our Hotel . Also, we would like to thank you for your compliment on our staff, well kept rooms and gourmet dishes.

We are happy that you enjoyed your extensive breakfast. We hope that you will come again to visit and enjoy your stay with us again.

Kind Regards,
Lise
Portsmouth, Dominica
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We were welcomed on our honeymoon at The Champs with a made-to-order, hearty breakfast since our flight arrived at 8:30 AM. Our room was ready quickly, where we were lavished with champagne on ice, cherries in our glasses, candies & chocolates, and a king-sized bed covered in flower petals! Lise & Hans were able to help us with whatever we needed, even providing a complimentary island phone (invaluable in Dominica)! We felt at home and like part of their family, couldn't ask for more. Every night there was something good to eat on the menu, especially Friday evenings & Saturday brunch with Chef Eric. We will cherish our 12 days with The Champs and definitely come back for more!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank ARoseScubaDoc
We are happy you enjoyed your stay. And we are sure you will come back, Dominica is missing you.
Indiana
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The accomodations were excellent! Lise was extremely helpful in suggesting things to do. The Champs staff is awesome. They are very knowledgeable about the island. Breakfasts were great! The view is fantastic! The bar is a lot of fun!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lise v, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Cindy,
Thank you for the great review. I hope you managed to make the "Johnny cakes" and we hope you see you back soon.
Tilburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 June 2013

On a excellent location overlooking Portsmouth and the Cabrits National Park you can really relax and let go. Fantastic views and an extremely nice and friendly staff will make you feel very welcome. The rooms are very comfortable and you get everything you could wish for in a hotel. The great positive energy of the owners, Hans and Lies, are part of the experience which makes it worthwhile visiting The Champs!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 17 December 2014
Dear Wilco,

Thank you for such an excellent review. We are happy to know that you could really got to relax and felt so contented with our service.

It is good that you felt so welcomed by us and you enjoyed our great views. It would be good to have you here again in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Lise
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2013

From check in to checkout, staying here is a real treat when visiting the island and Ross University. From the rooms, to the food, to the people, it just does not get any better. All little things you may have concerns with are thought of and taken care of. Staying here made us feel as comfortable as home. The truly do have an excellent resort

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed, and in the midst of campus if this is the goal.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lise v, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thanks a lot for your great review. We hope to see you back soon.
Marigot, Dominica
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I was in a difficult situation at 9 pm and I had to overnight in Portsmouth. I called The Champs and asked if a room was available at such a last moment. I teach the owner Lise yoga but I have not had much of a chance to stay overnight. My experience was amazing from the time I was picked up by their driver till the time I left in the morning. When I arrived I was shown the room and then went up to the restaurant and bar. Lise showed me the type of community they have strived to make and I can see in the pictures around the bar it is working. They stimulate the brain with Trivia Night and provide a venue for countless fund raising affairs I like the once a month Jazz Sundays. The restaurant had options for a vegetarian like me without me calling ahead and the food was good and homemade. On the weekends internationally certified chef Eric provides fine dining and his vegetarian dishes are just amazing. There was very little noise even though we were right in Picard. The room was extremely clean and I am a former owner of an eco cleaning business so I cannot help but check! :) I liked being able to make tea in my room and there is a frig so you can have cool drinks. There was internet so I could work. In the morning I awoke to incredible views of the Caribbean and a garden just in front of my room; the balcony was a great space for contemplation; personal yoga or dining. The organic garden made a haven for the birds and their song early morning was heavenly. Thank you Lise and Hans for a lovely stay at the last moment. You really get to know the quality of a place when you show up without warning and I could see you deserve the awards you have received. I will return and next time I hope to experience your spa; it looked so inviting I want to book it at night so I can look out over the valley and see the lights of the town and the stars. Perhaps I will get to do a tour as well I see there are lots of options offered by your hotel! I suggest renting a car as those beautiful views in Dominica always come right along with steep hills! Respect!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you Trudy, it was an honor to have you staying with us. And please call when ever you need a room we always try to have the rooms ready for "walk ins"
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Secret Bay
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
Castle Comfort Dive Lodge

Been to The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!