The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
Manicou River(Portsmouth)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Hotels.com
Sunrise Farm Cottages(Castle Bruce)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsross universityfine diningcell phoneplace to staymade to order breakfastshuttle serviceevery morninghot tubrental caryour choicecomfortable roomsteep hillmake you feel at homevisited dominicaprince rupertfresh fruitcaribbean sea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Always a pleasure to stay at the Champs with Hans, Lise and their welcoming staff.
Comfortable, air-conditioned rooms. Excellent breakfast every day. Sumptuous Fine Dining with Chef Eric Subin at the weekends. Neat Spa Area with Jacuzzi. Always great advice and help in organizing hiking, fishing, diving and whale watching activities.

Excellent accommodation, good food, efficient staff, great value.

Any time I visit Dominica I stay at The Champs.
Over the years I must have stayed here over twenty, yes twenty, times

Room Tip: With just five rooms you will always get a good one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank JCRF1
Lise v, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

It is always a pleasure having your as our guest. Please keep coming back.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

If you're looking for pampering in a luxury resort, move on. Those who become impatient easily, or who travel with an attitude will do better in a high end hotel. But if you love interesting conversations, if you have a sense of humor, if you value human connection, this is the place for you. You can have a personal interaction with Lise and Hans that makes you feel you've been invited to the home of your best friend's aunt and uncle on an island paradise, because that's the degree of interest and enthusiasm they show in trying to make guest happy and comfortable. Guests who will especially enjoy staying here are those who are flexible and patient, who love adventure, a personal touch, and who want to learn about their surroundings on a deeper level. And I should mention the view: It's truly a million dollar view. You could easily spend several wonderful days just sitting on the porch in front of your room or on the higher floor in the breakfast area or the restaurant, just staring at the ocean, the sky, ships and sailing boats and the lush greenery. Read a book, take a nap, practice laziness, turn off your screens. Or finish your novel without interruption. Ask Lise or Hans or one of there staff dozens of questions about whatever is on your mind--they will never be impatient with you. Or they will gladly connect you with the best people in the area for a car rental, for a tour, or they will advise you about where to find an easy morning drive, an afternoon hike, a swim, or whatever you're looking for. When you're ready for a unique and wonderful hike through the mountains, ask Lise or Hans to connect you with Gregory. Spend a day hiking through the jungle with Gregory, slow down your talking, and open your mind to his knowledge of the plants, birds, the larger ecology, the history, and local culture. You'll never be the same. Gregory is a treasure. The comments of some other guests about occasional plumbing issues or noise should not be a significant issue for most guests. We also, like most people, enjoy a quiet sleep and a clean room. We weren't disappointed at all. We were a family of four staying in two rooms side by side for four nights, and we all agreed that we will eagerly return to the Champs for our next trip to Dominica.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Lise v, Manager at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

It was nice having your at our hotel. I loved the interesting chats we had.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The Champs has 5 well-appointed, air-conditioned rooms, a restaurant, and a bar. The owners, Hans Schilders and Lise van de Kamp, go out of their way to ensure that your stay is comfortable and pleasurable. Before making a reservation, I had read complaints on Trip Advisor about noise from the bar. I mentioned this to Lise and told her that I would be going birding early in the morning. I also asked for a superior room as far from the bar as possible. She had told me about their Taco night on Tuesdays, but assured me that the noise would come to an end at about 10:30. I was later told that she had also asked the bar to turn down their volume at 9:00, which apparently they did. I had no problems at all with noise. The next day, I mentioned to them that there had been a loud hum from a TV transformer in the room, which, though it did not particularly bother me, might bother others. Lise told me that they would replace the transformer. By the time I returned from birding the next day, they had not only removed the transformer, but had replaced the entire TV with a larger model. The story is more complex than I am making it, but I use it as an example of how hard these people work to make sure that their guests are comfortable. They do not have a beach, so if you require one, The Champs will not work for you, but if not, this is an excellent choice. The superior room (low-season 2013) cost US$150.00/night including taxes and breakfast. They packed a bag breakfast for me for the first two days. These were brought to my room at ~7:30 the previous evening. The Champs is ~8km from the turn-off to the Syndicate Estate. All in all, a great place to stay for a birding trip to Dominica.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the superior (upper floor) rooms. Better view, and for birders, one can look directly at the treetops.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Thanks for your review. And indeed this part of the Island is perfect for bird lovers.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I can't say enough good things about our stay at The Champs. We have never been treated so well. Everyone on staff is incredibly helpful. Lise, the owner, accommodated our every request.
The view from our room's veranda, breakfast area, bar and spa area is spectacular. We sat on our veranda everyday and photographed the sunset over the bay. Enjoyed watching the iguana and hummingbirds at breakfast.
Food was good. I especially enjoyed the lionfish. Probably can't eat enough to make a dent in this invasive predator's encroachment, but it's a tasty job trying.
Fine dining on Friday night is a highlight.
Taking a tour with the on-staff guide, Jackie, is a great way to see the island. He is very friendly, informative and accommodating.
We spent half of our Dominica trip at Champs and it was by far, the best part.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2014

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you could not find enough good things to say about The Champs. We are indeed thankful and honored to receive such a great review from you. Thanks for complimenting Hostess Lise for a job well done.

We were happy that you loved the location and atmosphere of our Hotel and your room location. It is good to know that you were one of the few lucky guests to see our Iguanas and humming birds in our garden.

We would like you to feel free to join us again in our Friday Evening Fine Dining. Thanks for your compliments of tour guide Jackie. It would be nice to have you spend more time with us again in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Lise

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The thing that makes champs a great place to stay is the service and the great location, however the rooms are a bit dated and while we were there, there were plumbing problems in some of the rooms (guests were complaining, we were lucky not to have any). The cleaning was also a bit hit and miss. If they had to refurbish the rooms, and supervise the cleaning to make sure it takes place, this place would be a 5 star all round!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and comments. We already made some small changes and will keep working to earn the 5 star.