This isn't Cancun, sandals, or anything resembling the banality of the money grabbing tourist hot-spots in the Caribbean. The island has little of the comforts a City boy from Detroit is used to, but is such a nice breath of fresh air. No one tried to sell me anything like horseback rides, or island lunches, but that was never my style.
In Dominica you are on an adventure, and whether it be driving on the wrong side of the road or climbing a volcanic mountain in the jungle, it is a very special treat. The De Champs facilities was the perfect place to recover from the high impact, 90 degree heat and constant exploring.
Breakfast reservations were required, but the layout was WONDERFUL. Waking up to early was rewarded by making my way to the dining area, and being greeted not by a line, but a set table with fruit already sliced presented nicely in a bowl (under a screen, awaiting my fork.) Coffee and an omelette's seemed to make the whole day better.
Dinner and drinks were had in the open air bar/lounge. I recommend the "bitter balls" appetizer, and a bacon cheese burger (jimmy buffet was right!) Order a few Kabuli (local, island made pale ale) and enjoy a conversation or two with the two dutch hosts that operate the hotel. They are the type of people i'm happy to meet on one of my very few opportunities i get in life to vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched high upon the Picard hillside is the Award Winning Hotel The Champs. While you stay in your perfectly sited 3-star room with sea view and balcony, our smiling staff will provide you with 5-star personal service. This remarkable place overlooks the calm Caribbean Sea, the colonial town of Portsmouth and the gorgeous green hills of the Cabrits National Park. The beach is just 5 minutes down the hill. Its hospitable treatment to clients brings guests from far and wide to its welcoming doors. Combined with this mini paradise is its highly popular restaurant and cocktail bar, lush flower garden, relaxing leisure and jacuzzi area, parking lot and local shuttle service. A perfect place for adventure vacations, couple escapes, visitors to Ross University, business trips and a gem for weddings and honeymooners. Begin each day with our delightful breakfast-to-order; spend each day experiencing another island activity; end each day sipping on a cocktail gazing at the magnificent sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfortel De Champ Hotel Portsmouth
- The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar Dominica/Portsmouth