“Great food, lots of students”

The Tomato Cafe and Deli
Ranked #9 of 28 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
“Great food, lots of students”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is where the college kids hang out. Great food, large menu but it is a little pricey. We ordered a bottle of wine and lunch and then watched the college kids cheer their respective Olympic team.

“Egg's Benedict”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Travelling to the Portsmouth area of Dominica has several decent restaurants with a surprising amount of different ethic food, but when what you really want is some traditional food once in a while, you have to look a little harder.

Tomato is owned by a very friendly and gracious Canadian couple that seem to love what they do and, it shows. The service rivals anything you would expect in any good restaurant back home but the food is unexcitingly fresh and well prepared.

My first meal there was breakfast. We were in town for business with ROSS University with some fairly early meetings. The Benedict was one of the best I have had in a long time. The English Muffin was toasted and crispy, which is often undercooked for my liking. Anyone who has attempted to make a good hollandaise sauce knows it can be tricky; theirs was spot on. My egg yolks oozed nicely with no runny whites. They only thing I could suggest is a couple slices of tomato or fruit. Seems to be a thing here is you get only what you order.

Back to the service...I had asked for yogurt and fresh fruit one morning which they did not have. The next morning, they remembered and when we walked up they offered us fresh fruit salad and yogurt and handed me (remembering that I had previously ordered coffee black before).

They also seemed to handle large groups with a good beer and wine selection and appies etc.

This is my first restaurant review but I thought they deserved a kind note.

Miami, Florida
“so good in food and in service!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Visited Dominica for our vacations and came across this excellent restaurant, I was lucky enough to meet the owner! she was so nice that she makes you feel right at home. I complemented the owner on the restaurant witch is huge, just feels like you are in South Beach. The staff was very attentive and courteous, checking constantly making sure we where taking care of. The food was very tasty and the presentation was very exquisite. Comparing it to the restaurant around, hands down this place is done with class and the sanitation of the place is amazing. If we are ever back in Dominica I know where my hang out place is going to be, "THE TOMATO"

Lethbridge, Canada
“Nice Change”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I ate at The Tomato a total of three times on our recent trip. The whole restaurant is clean and modern looking which helps to attract people to it. The food was good, tasty and the serving size just right, for the price. We found it a bit expensive and although the menu is quite varied they were out of a few items on each visit that we thought would be a staple for a North American style restaurant.

It was unfortunate that we didn't get to meet the owners, we were greeted on all three occasions by the same person, who did not appear to be thrilled to be at work. Never saw a smile or heard a thank you.

All in all it's a nice change from the local food and simply by greeting customers in a positive and friendly manner would have increased the stars on this rating.

Sebring, Florida
“Wonderful food and Wonderful service”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Tomato Cafe is a lovely restaurant in Portsmouth that offers selection, freshness and presentation not found elsewhere in town....period. The staff is friendly and attentive and reflect the commitment of the owners to offer nothing less than the best meal-time experience.