“awesome view”

Manicou River
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Although it is a little tricky getting to the hotel, it is well worth it. The rooms are spacious and thr view is incredible. It was very relaxing, and Theresa and her husband are great hosts. The only downside was that the shower was solar heated and so we didnt have very much hot water for our showers. But i would still recommend as one of the best places to stay in dominica.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicola s
ManicouRiverResort, Owner at Manicou River, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thanks for the great review guys. Sorry about the hot water ... Tropical Storm Ernesto was passing and so not any sun at all. Nobody on the island had hot water for that period I assure you.

Eco sensitive vacations are sometimes an adventure.

See you again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I am writing in English which is not my first language but many of you speak it. My stay here was a really pleasant one, with candles and moonlight we slept on the volcano. It was a steep hill, but it really made the view so much more dramatic.

My daughter and I stayed in a tree house and wished we had not booked another hotel, which was not as nice ... if you stay here and another place stay here last or you may not like your other place.

We visited Chaudier pool, Cabrits park and swimming on the secret beach that we walked to each day. The snorkeling was also very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Thomasse V
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I wanted to share my experience with you all. We started on a bad footing, I had forgot to tell them about my 2 children on the booking form, but they were so helpful and accommodating. Wonderful really.

We all shared a lovely tree house and had a great familyl time, it reminded me of camping trip when I was a child with my parents in France, but so much more luxury at Manicou. I hope that my children have these fond memories for the rest of their lives, I am sure that they will.

We went to Chaudiere pool, Manicou beach, Diablotin and ate at 'Poonkies' which is a great experience I assure you. Fantastic fish, the best I have eaten for a long time.

We also went to Tucari beach and met a local politician. Snorkelling there was so clear and lots of reef still alive.

I loved Dominica and will return some day. I hope that you do too.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Marie B
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We spent 10 days in our lovely tree house. At first sight of the view we were blown away. Now we dream about it back in our condo. The tree house was very comfortable with a king sized bed, double hammock, swinging chairs and a magnificent big dining table. The bathroom and separate shower are surprisingly big also. Most things about Manicou River are surprising!
The resort starts along a small river (more of a stream) and climes up the mountain. The frindly gardener is planting a 2 acre flower garden with walk ways by the river. Every morning he took us for a tour of his work and giving us fresh fruit and filling our house with flowers.They have only cut away very small sections where the tree houses are. The rest has been left natural. When we were in our house we were completly private but the car was only a few steps away.
The house was kept spotless during our stay and we had plenty of everything including beach towels and snokling equipment, no charge.
This is not really a resort as we know but a very special project of tree houses, local community shared organic gardens and a nature resrve. If you want to be in Dominica with Dominican this is a great place for you. By the time we left we were being waved at all along the neighbourhood and greeted as friends by the local people.
We are now missing our tree house, the views, the food, the lovely dogs and all the workes and friends of Manicou River.

Room Tip: Try to get food for your stay before you arrive at your tree house, as once you are there you will n...
1  Thank Matt P
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We were in the Manicou River tree house lodge for 9 nights and we had a fabulous time there!

Not only is Dominica a true gem of an island, it also offers many outdoor activities. We were snorkeling at various bays with tropical fishes, turtles and volcanic underwater springs. And we made great hikes to the mountains, magical jungle waterfalls with pools and the boiling lake.

We spent romanitc evenings in the tree house watching the sun go down over the sea and listening to the sounds of the wood. There are so many different birds! And the candle light dinners with the moon shining between the trees were outstanding.

If we go back to Dominica, we will stay there again!

A tip: If going to Dominica rent a 4x4 car, as the streets are sometimes adventurous ;-)

2  Thank churchyarder
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This place is amazing, the views ... the views. Fresh air, no need for fans, no sweaty sleepless nights, just surrounded by nature and trees.

I expected a camping experience and got Eco luxury.

Tess and Kevin showed us all around (I was thinking of buying some land). We had an delicious Afghani meal on their rather swanky deck. Hot as hell, but cooled by a couple of Kubuli.

Really nice work guys. For Brits anyway ha ha.

I WILL see you 2 again. Dominica is an excellent old Caribbean feel place. Just go NOW.

Room Tip: The place by the stairs had a double hammock.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Washington-Wiseguy
ManicouRiverResort, Owner at Manicou River, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Hiya,

We had a great time with you guys. BTW ... Did that 'local' rum kick your behind all the way to SFO?

Really and sincerely ... I hope you guys return and maybe we will one day make a road trip to the coast.

See you again.

Cheers

Kevin Hunneybell

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I sent an email requesting some dates for our honeymoon. They responded with availalbility but I could never get in touch with them to finalize the details. For 48 hours I sent emails, called, left vm...no response. At one point I actually reached Theresa and she promised to call me back in 45 min...she never did. assuming we had a room (as they sent us an email saying we did) we proceeded to set the rest of our itinerary, including declining other offers from other locations in the area. Come to find out they decided to give our room to a wedding party instead. I guess it's good that we found that out before getting to the island. Better customer service next time please!!!

7  Thank Cynthia B

Hello,

Manicou River Eco Resort is a small, beautiful, fully Eco and natural setting to have your honeymoon. It is also a wonderful place to host a wedding party. That is why we had a great family booking. They were all staying after a wedding. They loved it so much that they wished to extend their stay. So as nobody had yet paid a deposit we let them.

There were many potential guests asking for the same dates as this complaint, they were equally disappointing to miss out on the best view in Dominica (The Caribbean?). It is a consequence of being so successful at what we do.

I must state that if no deposit has been paid, no booking has taken place. That is the resort policy. I am sorry.

Please in the future any potential guests ... please do not cancel any other bookings with other accommodation until a deposit has been paid.

I am so sorry that you decided to write such a review and wish that it could be disputed since that you have not actually stayed here. But TA is a strange animal and so it remains.

I wish you all the best as we mentioned in many emails, you responded with disappointment but as your email was calm and polite we thought nothing more about it.

I mean it when I say ... please have a wonderful, loving life together and may you have many gorgeous children.

Regards

Kevin Hunneybell
Manicou River Eco Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Secret Bay
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
Portsmouth Beach Hotel
Portsmouth Beach Hotel
#4 of 4 in Portsmouth

Been to Manicou River? Share your experiences!