Manicou River
US$118
Priceline
Secret Bay(Portsmouth)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdouglas baytree houseoff gridwheel driveopen airsolar powercabrits national parkmosquito netlocal woodeco lodgerain waterthe cottagescouple of nightsbasic cookingflavored rumsnight soundstree frogs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I was sat in the hammock and right in front of me came 2 sisserou parrots. So green with lovely plumes trailing.

The tree houses allow you to be right there with the birds. Hawks and many smaller birds visited the trees right in front of us.

The accommodation is spacious and away from any other buildings making it private. I had some nice dreams.

Food is good at Montys on the beach and snorkelling was great on the live reefs in Douglas Bay.

Recommended.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janice E
Reviewed 9 September 2012

When we booked one of Manicou Resort's treehouses for 6 nights, we were just hoping for a great vacation in Dominica. Then, we decided to tie the knot during our holiday. "No problem", said Tess and Kevin. "No need to buy a wedding package from some agency; you can have your wedding right here". And that's exactly what we did, on August 29th, 2012. On the balcony of their very house, with the most outstanding view we could ever dream of, at sunset. The weather was perfect, and so was the ceremony, although we missed having our friends and family around. Tess, Kevin, Conrad the gardener, and the few people who were there certainly made up for that. Before, during, and even after the wedding, we were both feeling totally relaxed and happy. No stress at all, no nerves, not a worry in the world. I don't think we'd ever feel this way if it wasn't for Manicou River Resort and its wonderful people.
But enough with the personal stuff. This resort makes for a great experience, if you know what you are walking into. This is not your standard 5-star Caribbean resort. It doesn't have a swimming pool, or a restaurant. No television, and no hairdryer. It lives up to the self-sufficient "eco" label, as it has no electricity, only uses organic products, and endorses sustainable energy.
Its treehouses are made of wood, and they are open to the elements. The guests are encouraged to leave the doors and windows open, and we actually slept each night in the hammock, until it got chilly or the first light of dawn woke us up. Although the resort is in the woods, there were few mosquitos. We even had a beautiful and harmless tiny frog living in our bathroom.
The elegant treehouses have a water mattress, a solar-powered shower, and a small kitchen, with spices and herbs from the grounds. Tess and Kevin filled our cooler with fruit and vegetable before our arrival. They even offered to lend us clothes when Liat lost our luggage. There was no need for that after all, but still our hosts gave us what we needed to make ourselves comfortable, including toothbrushes, insect repellent, sunblock, showergel etc etc. We really appreciated their help.
All the guest needs after it gets dark, is some candles, a flashlight, and possibly some local rum to better enjoy the ambience! The views are truly incredible, especially at sunset. All you hear is the sounds of the forest, the river, birds and animals, and maybe some music from the village way below. There's even a small "private" beach within the grounds of the estate, but we never tried that. The resort offers daily maid service, and helps organize excursions by request.
We hired a small jeep which was a big plus, as there's a rough 5-minute drive (a steep climb) from the main road to the resort itself. Lagoon and Portsmouth are a further 5 minutes away. Also down the road is Cabrits national park, and the small town of Picard, where Ross Medical School is located. There are all kinds of US-friendly establishments there (including De Champ with its great sunset views), but we preferred to eat and drink with the locals. The Blue Bay restaurant was where we had our wedding dinner of delicious lobster! Monty's Bar quickly became our regular watering hole. We also liked Escape beach restaurant and bar in the Calibishie area. A small stingray came and said hello in the shallows of the nearby beach!
August is a very quiet time of the year in Dominica, which wasn't necessary a bad thing; but some of the restaurants etc were closed, or opened only in the weekends. We never had a chance to try Poonkie's, which is very close to Manicou but never seemed to be open for dinner.
The Portsmouth area is quite a good base to explore Dominica from. The airport is an hour away, and so is "capital city" Roseau. Driving in Dominica takes some courage and caution, but it is well worth the effort. This is a glorious island, without many beaches, but full of forests, waterfalls, picturesque villages, and friendly people. We also tried diving for the first time (with Cabrits diving center), and we truly enjoyed the experience, although it was only a simple "discover scuba" half-day course.
All in all, we had a wonderful week, and the most incredible wedding. Dominica, its people, and everyone at the Manicou River Resort (including the four huge but friendly dogs) will have a special place in our hearts forever.
Nikos & Emmanouela
Athens, Greece

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nickpap66
ManicouRiverResort, Owner at Manicou River, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2013

We absolutely loved to see how happy we made you guys. Good luck with everything and have a wonderful loving life.

From all at Manicou River Eco Resort with love.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Although it is a little tricky getting to the hotel, it is well worth it. The rooms are spacious and thr view is incredible. It was very relaxing, and Theresa and her husband are great hosts. The only downside was that the shower was solar heated and so we didnt have very much hot water for our showers. But i would still recommend as one of the best places to stay in dominica.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicola s
ManicouRiverResort, Owner at Manicou River, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thanks for the great review guys. Sorry about the hot water ... Tropical Storm Ernesto was passing and so not any sun at all. Nobody on the island had hot water for that period I assure you.

Eco sensitive vacations are sometimes an adventure.

See you again soon.

Manicou River Eco Resort

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I am writing in English which is not my first language but many of you speak it. My stay here was a really pleasant one, with candles and moonlight we slept on the volcano. It was a steep hill, but it really made the view so much more dramatic.

My daughter and I stayed in a tree house and wished we had not booked another hotel, which was not as nice ... if you stay here and another place stay here last or you may not like your other place.

We visited Chaudier pool, Cabrits park and swimming on the secret beach that we walked to each day. The snorkeling was also very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Thomasse V
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I wanted to share my experience with you all. We started on a bad footing, I had forgot to tell them about my 2 children on the booking form, but they were so helpful and accommodating. Wonderful really.

We all shared a lovely tree house and had a great familyl time, it reminded me of camping trip when I was a child with my parents in France, but so much more luxury at Manicou. I hope that my children have these fond memories for the rest of their lives, I am sure that they will.

We went to Chaudiere pool, Manicou beach, Diablotin and ate at 'Poonkies' which is a great experience I assure you. Fantastic fish, the best I have eaten for a long time.

We also went to Tucari beach and met a local politician. Snorkelling there was so clear and lots of reef still alive.

I loved Dominica and will return some day. I hope that you do too.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family