I was looking for a location in Dominica that was off the electric grid while still accessible to excursions and adventures around the Island. I spent most of my 24 day trip to Dominica at the Manicou River Eco Resort and I am sure glad I did! The cottage was spacious and elegant, with amazing views of the sea. It was close to town, markets and good restaurants, yet tucked away in its own little slice of paradise. Conrad, their awesome gardener etc. brought gorgeous bouquets of tropical flowers and changed the ice in my cooler out daily. Tess was super helpful and accommodating, and shared little treats with me like coconut oil and maple syrup. She was also kind enough to connect me with friends and activities in the area since I am considering relocating to the island. The drive up to the resort was super steep which intimidated me at first, but I mastered it. I came to Dominica very sleep deprived, and slept up a storm at Manicou. This is a lovely spot and I recommend it highly. I would like to add that as a woman traveling alone, this is a very safe place and I did not have an uncomfortable moment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT SINCE APRIL 2013. Manicou River is a collection of hand-crafted wooden cottages perched on the mountainside high above Douglas Bay and the Cabrits National Park on the beautiful, pristine island of Dominica. Our view is one of the best on the island, taking in mountains, the Caribbean Sea and the small town of Portsmouth below. We offer a simple, relaxing, nature experience with just the right touches of luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Manicou River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manicou River Eco Hotel Portsmouth
- Manicou River Dominica/Portsmouth