We stayed on Dominica for well over a week and stayed at three places. We upgraded from the Portsmouth Beach Hotel to the Picard Beach Cottages and we should have done this much sooner.
These are nice little cottages right along the beach, with a row of cottages behind those that have a direct view of the ocean. The cottages are nice with a nice living space, full kitchen, large bathroom, shower and separate bedroom. The air conditioner worked well and the place has glass windows that really help keep the humidity out.
All are single floor units and were excellent! Stay here, not the hotel! And each was lived in by a star or other person involved in the filming of the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean". The film producer lived in ours. Woo hoo!
We will stay here again!
When we left here and being stranded by American Airlines, we stayed at the Pagua Bay Cottages in Marigot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Picard Beach Cottages, being & healing with Nature. The only Beach Cottages in Dominica where you literally step out of your cottage and onto the beach. Where you are literally 25 feet from a dip in the Caribbean Sea. Where you can sit on your porch and watch your children play safely in the sand or experience some of the most amazing romantic Sunsets. Where you HAVE to walk among a profusion of flowering and fruit trees and shrubs and our 500 year old Samaan Tree all vying for the attention of the countless birds just to get to your cottage. Where your locally built accommodations celebrate traditional 18th century style wooden bungalows which would have speckled Dominica's coasts and villages in those days. Where all the Team are just naturally sweet and courteous and really happy to be here at Picard Beach Cottages to be able to host you in Dominica. And where the owners are 100% local having spent 41 years and now 3 generations working as Pioneers of Dominica's Tourism Industry. As recipients of the Responsible Tourism Award in both 2012 and 2013 we continue to work in all aspects of our operations to be guardians of our heritage through various community and environmental activities and mentor-ship programs. Nestled on the shores of the old Picard Coconut Plantation on the North West coast of Dominica, the Nature Island of the Caribbean, fringed by Dominica's longest sandy beach, Picard Plantation is just south of Portsmouth and Ross University School of Medicine, in a quiet suburban area originally called Ayohayo by the island’s first settlers, the Arawaks. Our eighteen one bedroom en-suite air conditioned hardwood cottages each contains one queen bed, bathroom, kitchenette and living/dining area and private veranda. There is a daybed in the living area, a TV with over 50 channels of Cable television coverage, free wireless internet and iron & board. You will be supplied with local herbal & organic teas and cottage amenities. The Beach Front cottages are just steps away from the beach and the Beach View cottages have glimpses of the beach through the flowering and fruit garden. The Kitchenettes in the Standard cottages have a hotplates, fridge, kettles and coffee makers and our Standard Beach views have shower in the bathroom while the others, Superior cottages have kitchens with standing stoves with oven, fridges, kettles coffee makers and microwave on request (at a small daily fee), as well as a bathtub with Shower. Due to our strategic location you may choose to spend your time relaxing on our beach or in the gardens but we are also ideally located to take advantage of many of the natural attractions and restaurants in the area. We can arrange them all for you, these include; Scuba diving and snorkeling, whale watching, visiting the Cabrits National Park, taking a ride up the Indian river, where parts of the film, ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 11’ were filmed (a number of the executive crew members of the movie were also our guests), Bird Watching at the Syndicate Forest Reserve, visiting the Carib Model Village & Territory or anything you would like to do on the island. Our Wellbeing Pavillion is situated in our forested paddock where Pilates sesions are booked by appointment or various retreat sessions and meetings are held. Our therapists offer various health & beauty treatments by appointment for our guests. At Picard Beach ‘Wellness Eco’ Cottages we offer wildlife & adventure tours, Scuba diving, honeymoon and wedding packages and invite our guests to join in our wildlife preservation and environmentally sensitive operations and projects. Le Flambeau Restaurant & Beach Bar is situated right next door on the property of the Portsmouth Beach Hotel where meals and snacks and of-course beverages are available from 7:30am to 10pm while there are numerous other interesting places to eat in the vicinity. Many neighborhood taxis can take you around Portsmouth, Dominica's second town, should you wish to do some grocery shopping, if you choose to rent a vehicle, we can assist with all these arrangements too. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and HotelsClick so you can book your Picard Beach Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Picard Beach Cottages Hotel Portsmouth
- Picard Beach Cottages Dominica/Portsmouth