My husband and I returned recently from a week-long stay in paradise!, i.e. Secret Bay.
From the moment you arrive, you are steeped in lush flora/fauna, impeccable service and architecture/design that is elegant and stops short at nothing! Whether you stay in the cozy, treehouse “bungalow” (we stayed in Mapou…amazing views from the floor to ceiling windows of the upstairs bedroom) or one of the villas (we also stayed in Zing-Zing….a spacious, 2 bedroom building with every modern kitchen appliance and a spacious veranda where we spent most of our time (not one mosquito, by the way, but spray at night for the no-see-ums), you can’t help but feel you are luxuriating in the highest quality of materials and design.
The service truly sets this resort apart from anywhere we’ve stayed. From the very first email,…..Anna,( the manager) makes you feel very special. With her warmth, intelligence and “can-do” attitude she sits down with you upon your arrival and helps you arrange all of your excursions, spa treatments, restaurants, taxis, and on-site activities. We especially loved the hike she directed us to, section 13 of the Waitukanubi (?)trail….this is a delightful, moderate, 3+hour hike that takes you through idyllic farm-like landscapes, rainforest and stunning coastal vistas. The other staff who attend to your meals and other needs are fantastic as well.
The food surpassed our expectations----everything was deliciously and beautifully prepared, using Caribbean spices to perfection. You can get any two meals you like in a given day…..some of our favorites were the lion fish, the bbq’d ribs for lunch (they’ll pack them up to take on a kayak to the beach), the lobster, the steak and the amazing array of fruits and vegetables. We loved talking with Gemer, the award-winning chef, down at the Souce shack….we are awaiting her cook book. When ordering items for your stay, we would recommend stocking up on the Secret Bay rum punch, the homemade granola and granola bars, their delicious greek yogurt and the flavorful fruit juices (you can also order a wide variety of wines, alcohol and beer).
Other excursions we loved were fishing/snorkeling with Don, exploring the cave with Vincent, kayaking around the bay on our own (Coconut Beach is accessbile and has sun in the morning, Secret Bay in the afternoon). The river boat tour was lovely but a bit touristy.
While at Secret Bay, you may have all the privacy you wish….on some days we never saw another guest . My suggestion to Gregor (the charming and personable owner who came to our villa and spent some time with us) would be to think about a weekly “cocktail” party up at the Sunset Deck and/or a beach bbq lunch/dinner that would give people the option to mingle with other guests and compare notes about this magical little “secret”!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth