“We'd go back”

Hotel la Table de Jeanne
Hotel la Table de Jeanne
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Erquy
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were put up in the Table de Jeanne by the organizers of a sailing event in Erquy where I was an official. Based on the advertised prices, it was good value.

LOCATION
Overlooking the beach and harbour - couldn't ask for a better outlook. I think most rooms (on two upper floors) have a sea view. The restaurant area protrudes seawards from the building, so there is some noise in the rooms- but mainly from the excellent duo who were performing French standards (Trenet, Piaf etc) each evening we were there. The hotel is some way from the town centre (about 10 minutes walk). The road in front of the hotel leads only to the busy fishing port, but some big wagons come through at unsocial hours. The hotel is one of several close together.

ROOM
En suite WC, shower and basin. Room was a bit basic, with unsubtle lighting. But clean, and with a comfortable bed.

WIFI
This free ground-floor facility did not get to our second-floor room, but was accessible from a seat on the first floor, as well as throughout the ground floor.

BREAKFAST
Adequate. Orange juice, bread, croissants, yoghurt, tea or coffee, ample quantities. Did not see (or need) any breakfast cereals, and no ham, cheese or fruit, which is becoming more common in French hotels.

DINNER
The restaurant is very popular, attracting non-residents. Quality and quantity was excellent. Naturally, given its location, the restaurant specialised in sea-food, but there were other choices. The cheapest set menu (3 courses for 21 euros) was limited in choice, but well cooked. The sweets in particular were good. Servce was a little on the slow side, but we were eating in a full-to-overflowing restaurant at the height of the season. Staff very friendly. The singing duo were excellent - a chanteuse and a very versatile man on keyboards. Worth listening to, but not too loud.

The restaurant prides itself on locally sourced ingredients, and the names of the suppliers are prominently displayed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Erquy is a lovely small Breton fishing village/beach resort - this coast is very popular with Brits but Erquy seems largely undiscovered by them - tourists frequenting the restaurants are mainly Bretons & French - restaurants are concentrated at the port end of the resort and not surprising offer superb seafood & especially moules and oysters - Table de Jeanne is typical of the restaurant's here just a stones throw from the sea - staff are very helpful & attentive and the food is very good.
This is more of a restaurant with rooms, so the rooms are fairly small and basic but adequate. There is no lounge or sitting room and instead you find yourself sitting by the bar where the free WiFi can be accessed (didn't reach our bedroom). The harbour area can be noisy quite late so if you want to go to bed early take your earplugs. I couldn't get on with their micropillows. We tried to do a half board but it was beyond their computer system as the restaurant & hotel had different systems. B&B was fine. Overall a great spot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Imagine arriving at 2 pm in the rain mid september being told that the room, which has to be vacated by 12 will take an hour? That's ok by me even though I was ripped for summer rates. As I sat in the car for the hour having had a long drive, (yes you read that right, no "please come out of the rain and wait in the bar if you like") I then went back needing a WC facility. I was told very firmly that the WC was in the room, yes, that's right, the room I would have to wait a further hour before I could access it. Rather like a school kid, I was then obliged to insist on a facility to which I was directed towards the bar area, not only that I had to reassure the "reception" that I had actually booked a room for which credit card facilities had bern examined.
Not a good start. Being the forgiving kind who doesn't like being treated like an unwanted refugee, I waited until 6 pm to drop into the bar for a pre-dinner drink, where I noted that several people were drinking, one guy with his computer sprawled out over the four seat table, I suspect the owner. Anyway, this time I was approached by a waitress who inquired why I had entered the establishment, presumably not realising hat my pockets were lined with Gold and I wanted to empty them in the till. She asked what I wanted, so I just said a drink at the bar please, she inquired whether I would be eating and when I said yes, disappeared having dumped me in the restaurant with my wife at a table. 10 minutes later I went up to the bar where someone was behind it talking to two guys drinking at it. This person then completely ignored me again and disappeared.
Needless to say , I walked out of this pretentious establishment who were charging summer rates in September but were virtually empty and walked 100 yards down the quay to a fantastic meal where nothing was too much trouble. On the way back I noticed that our hostelry was still mainly empty, presumably because they think that throwing some money at an interior is sufficient in a downtrended market to avoid the inconvenience of being polite to fare paying clients.
In the morning we departed having cancelled the second night. They did not seem to notice, care or even ask why.

My advice, if you want to be made to feel unwanted, book this place immediately.

Room Tip: Find another Hotel, noisy boat halyards 50m away, Harbours fine boat owners in some towns for this...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

David and his team will look after you really well in this warm and friendly hotel restaurant. The food is fresh and local, the menu inventive and the service efficient and with a smile. I recommend the local catch of the day, and of course the scallops, a specialty of the lovely harbour town of Erquy. The puddings are also scrumptious, with the best ice creams outside Italy.The restaurant is cosy and full of quirky decorative objects.
The rooms all face the charming harbour, are big enough and very clean. A little update on their decor would have bagged this great place a full score.

Room Tip: First floor rooms all have a small balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JulieK691
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed here just one night en route to south brittany. A very French hotel, simple in every way abd charming. Our room overlooked the harbour and from the balcony could watch the world go by.We ate at the hotel resteraunt, wonderful food, I had been looking forward to my first moule/frites for some time, they were everything I had hoped for. Brilliant ambiance. Have recommended to friends already. A brilliant start to our holiday

Room Tip: ask for room with sea view, I think they all have anyway, it is only a small hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Rooms simple but have almost everything you need, including a tiny balcony with room for 1 chair. Excellent locally sourced food, delicious and beautifully presented. Seafood and fish are of course a speciality - the fishing boats come in right in front of the restaurant. Great local ice cream. Sheltered terrace with heaters allows al fresco dining in all weathers. A good selection of wines available in 25 and 50cl - you don't have to buy a whole bottle, they just open the bottle and fill your carafe. This is an excellent system.

As warned, the delivery trucks start arriving early at this row of restaurants! Rooms could be hot in summer - the window is the only ventilation. The most efficient handheld device for a waiter is a notepad and pen - but some slick salesman is persuading restaurants they need an electronic device, which just adds to the complexity and time to take the order. They won't improve service, and they dictate how the customer orders. So, we had to decide at the beginning of the meal whether we wanted 2 or 3 courses off the set menu - when we would much rather have decided if we had room for dessert after the main course.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We know Erquy very well and have had many excellent meals at Hotel la Table de Jeanne. This was the first time we had stayed at the hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The rooms are clean, fairly basic but with comfortable beds. We were on the first floor and all the rooms face the sea so wonderful views across the bay and to the harbour. The restaurant is open all day in the summer and best to book a table, especially at the weekend. The staff are very friendly and the service in the restaurant is excellent. Lots of choice on the menu and wonderful fresh sea food is the obvious choice with the famous Coquille St Jacques fresh from the port. Best to avoid the peak holiday period as very busy everywhere but June and September are excellent.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the sea as the hotel is actually built into the side of the cliff. Can be noisy...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carole and Anth... H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erquy
Hotel de la Plage d'Erquy
#5 of 5 in Pleneuf-Val-Andre
Hotel Georges
Hotel Georges
#2 of 5 in Pleneuf-Val-Andre

Been to Hotel la Table de Jeanne? Share your experiences!