“Lovely food, friendly staff - a little cramped.”

Winships Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Ovington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Eight of visited to celebrate our August birthdays, I had never been before but had heard good reports of the food. On entering we were asked if we wanted a drink but to be honest there wasn't much room near the bar to sit down, even less when the whole party showed up. The staff quickly showed us to our seats and the rest of the drinks served very quickly (lovely local Wylam real ale). There was another large party in the restaurant which gave atmosphere but it was quite noisy.We no doubt contributed to the noise!!

As everything is cooked from scratch there is a slight delay in receiving food but this was not exceptional. We were offered some specials but they all had an extra cost and we felt at £18.50 for 2 courses we would stick with the fixed menu. I think amongst us we had most of the starters(choice of 6) and they were all very good. I had battered black pudding with chilli and ginger beetroot which was excellent and could have done me as a main course. Although the men drank beer the wine list seemed pretty good value with good choice.

I had the slow roasted lamb steak which was to die for. Really flavoursome, tender and a decent portion. Meals were enjoyed by everyone particularly the confit of duck and the pork tenderloin.

Apart from ice cream and coffee we did not have enough room to try the dessert menu,

It was a nicely paced meal with no pressure to leave. The bill was reasonable at £30 a head including drinks and tip.

My wife and I will certainly be back as the food was excellent.

1  Thank NIRS3

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I had never heard of this place before - a friend had organised a mystery outing for his birthday, and this was the destination. Ovington is a small village in the Tyne Valley, about a mile from the A69. I wouldn't have discovered this restaurant by myself, but it was well worth the visit.

The restaurant is quite small, but very pleasant inside. The food was really nice and there was a fair choice on the menu. Everybody really enjoyed the meal. It's not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would go again, without a doubt.

1  Thank iangemini
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed at a B&B in Wylam after our first day on the Hadrian's Wall Path and our hosts recommended Winships. They drove us there and picked us up when we had finished our meal, which was an excellent one. We had the sea bass and were very happy with our choice. The Summer Fruit Pudding for dessert was absolutely perfect.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

On the spur of the moment we decided to go to winships for early evening meal, second time we've visited and again werent disappointed. The onion soup was so flavoursome and my husband highly rated his prawn starter. Mains were good, service was friendly and attentive. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We eat out in local restaurants on a regular basis and we alway find that winships seem to go that extra mile for the customer
We recently had a lunchtime mixed platter for two.
Fresh crusty bread home made pate plus many other delicious items.
Great staff both front of house and in the kitchen

1  Thank Mix-m8