“Too many disappointments” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woodlands Guest House

Woodlands Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swell
Woodlands Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Swell B&B and Inns
“Too many disappointments”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 19.00 on the Thursday and unfortunately this was an inconvenient time for the owner who "greeted" us by rushing us to write our name in a book, he then gave both couples our keys and pointed in the general direction of our rooms. This was the warm welcome I'd read about!!! When we went to our room we looked out the window and realised we had rudely disturbed the barbecuing of his burgers for tea! Our apologies. We went out that night so had no further dealings aside from the 8am breakfast. The couple we stayed with complained about the cistern in their room not filling, they were told it was due to hard water build up and it needed a good clean so they would need to make do. We were then served a relatively rushed breakfast service which 2/3 items on average were missed per breakfast. On day two my wife and I were served bacon sandwhiches, the top slice seeded, the bottom brown?!
A further couple were coming to meet us on the day of the wedding we were attending to pick us up, they were made to feel most unwelcome in the hotel on arrival so we chose to drive ourselves to the venue instead!!!!
Sleeping beyond 6am is a miracle due to the thin pale curtains and then the full volume cleaning accompanied by door slamming straight after breakfast.
The chap running the B&B was on the verge of outright rude and would be happier if we were not there at all, the female was on the cusp of passive aggressive and also seemed to find it a fair bit of trouble running a B&B and therefore probably ought to do something else for a living in my opinion.
Also the shower in our room had to be removed from the wall and used by hand ala 1990 showering and the towels could be snapped they were that dry, on our second day, towels were taken and not replaced! No shower before the 25 degrees drive home then!
Not a pleasant stay - this was felt by us and the other couple we stayed with. I would not recommend and normally put up great reviews as I'm reasonably easily pleased.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MKBOYABROAD

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Abingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

The guesthouse itself was really lovely - the room was cosy and well furnished, warm and quiet. the breakfast was also delicious. The location was about a 20mins uphill walk into Stow. The management were very disorganised though, and even said our room had been cancelled when we phoned in advance to confirm on the day we arrived. I needed a camp bed put up in my room, which also caused a great deal of confusion, and my friend's double room was confused with another guest's (there was also no-one around to let them in when they arrived - luckily I was in!). My key broke in the door, and there was no-one around to help me get back into my room. The manager was quick to respond to my phone call, and managed to get into my room while I was out. However, i was quite uncomfortable about sleeping in there without being able to lock the door that night! I think if the management hadn't been a shambles I would have given this five stars.

Room Tip: Just make sure you phone in advance to confirm!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EmilyS0685
Derby, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at Woodlands for one night, the room was clean and spacious. The owner made a perfect recommendation for dinner, The Halfway House at Kineton and it didn't disappoint. The breakfast was great, as a lover of the good old English breakfast I can recommend this one. If we are ever in the area again we would happily stay for a night or two again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Our hostess, Amanda was so welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for her. The rooms were delightful offering beautiful views. Amanda gave us great information on the best places to visit and eat in the area. We took her advice and were not disappointed. A truly memorable visit. We would definitely return here and will recommend this accomodation to fellow travelers. Thanks again Amanda!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Roselawson2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

I planned a last minute trip to the Cotswolds and came across this wonderful place in the heart of the Cotswolds. We arrived late afternoon and were greeted by the lovely owners who offered tea and biscuits by the lake at the back of their house. How could we say no. The house is in a good location, it is peaceful and very clean. We stayed in the twin room with an ensuite shower which was perfect for us. There was a cupboard, tv, tea facilities etc. Breakfast was delicious and was served between 7 and 9 am. We were advised to visit the Slaughters and Bourton on the water which we did the next day. Would love to come back

• Stayed August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

When we drove up to this lovely place we were happy from the get go. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The lady who ran the place (sorry her name has left me) was very welcoming and helped us with restaurants as one of our party is a vegetarian. She even rang and booked for us. One of our party was unwell and stayed behind. When we returned she had been give home made chicked soup. Could not of asked for a better place to stay. Would return there in a blink.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Stewartsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in 2 rooms with my parents, my husband and I and 13 year old son. Both rooms were very clean and comfortable. Amanda gave great recommendations for dinner and things to see. The location was convenient, just outside of town. We also did a day trip to Oxford, an easy drive. Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Janine A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swell
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,358 reviews
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#7 of 22 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Porch House
The Porch House
#4 of 22 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Woodlands Guest House? Share your experiences!