“Countryside Bliss!”
Review of Cotley Inn

Cotley Inn
Ranked #2 of 50 Restaurants in Chard
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional English pub set in beautiful English country side, utilising produce from the family estate.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a fab meal at the Cotley on Saturday night, glad we booked ahead as restaurant is very busy! We were welcomed in and asked if we wanted to go straight to the table or have a drink at the bar first, we opted for the latter. I ordered a G+T, really impressed, garnishes made it that much more of a treat and went beautifully with my gin choice. Excellent beer and larger list too. Despite how busy it was, the new owners still found time to come a speak to my husband and I and it is these simple touches that create such a lovely atmosphere! We ordered the sharing steak - DELICIOUS. Presented really nicely on a board and neither of us went hungry! Love that all the meat is sourced from the estate too, tasted all the better for it. This was explained to us before we ordered. Were given recommendations for a wine pairing too. Ben and Maddie have a fantastic thing going here, and great plans for the place, we can't wait to go back!

Note: Narrow, winding country lanes to get to the pub! However once you've found it this only makes it feel even more of a gem, set in the middle of the Somerset countryside.

1  Thank Voyage608589

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

New landlords 5 weeks ago.Original Web site still up and menu very wrong.We had the 'special' Fish Pie which was a disastrous dish with 2 prawns and a small piece of salmon along with huge amount of potato.Cost £14.50 per portion!
New owners very apologetic and £29 refund made.
Atmosphere lovely but beware of newly promoted chef!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Great tasting beef and a good selection of properly cooked vegetables which still had texture and flavour
One piece of beef on one of the plates was a bit on the tough side and the meal could have been hotter
One other criticism was that the chocolate mousse would have benefitted from a mixture of red berries rather than a rather limited amount of fruit purée as it was very rich
Overall however still think it warrants a rating of very good as the service was excellent and overall we enjoyed the meal

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Went for lunch and ordered the beef. I had to tear it apart as the knife wouldn’t cut through it and it was full of gristle, the vegetables lacked taste and the spuds seemed like they were from yesterday although the meals themselves looked appetising the actual eating was not pleasant. The horseradish that came with it didn’t even cover the bottom of the pot it came in and that was meant to be shared between 4 of us who order the beef!! Extremely disappointed and when I informed the staff of this I was just told that they would let the chef know, no apology was ever made. Avoid!

MaddieB213, Owner at Cotley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Hi Cath,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review. Feedback is always made very welcome and I am so sorry you felt your beef was tough.

I do apologise if you thought you were short changed on horseradish we often get people not eating the additional condiments we provide, and we pride ourselves on minimising waste, please do feel you can ask for more in the future...there is always plenty of it!

It's rare our staff don't provide us with the feedback they receive from tables, so we are able to accommodate accordingly, I will endeavour to ensure that the waiting staff inform us of any concerns in the future, so we can ensure we have happy customers.

Myself and partner have just taken over The Cotley and are seeking to continuously make improvements, should you wish to book with us again, please give me a call on 0146062348 and I would be delighted to accommodate you.

Take care,

Maddie

Reviewed 9 September 2018

Saw good reviews so thought we would see for ourselves and we weren't dissapointed. Starters were lovely and my brother-in-law said it was the best calimari he has had. I had the duck main and that was gorgeous and two others had the red snapper tagliatelli which was very good, will definitely be back.