“Such a disappointment - after last time!”

Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Chard
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Presently at CST (30/11/2013) to celebrate my wife's birthday and sadly can only echo recent comments regarding the 'dwindling' Warner's experience.

So far our 'experience' is but a shadow of the fantastic stay when we were last here at CST.

Sadly, Warners seem to have completely forgotten that it IS the small things that make the difference. As long time Warners 'fans', it really IS a shame the way that Warners are progressively and systematically diluting and dismantling what was a truly successful formula - comprising luxury accommodation, good and varied food, day time activities and great evening entertainment.

While the rooms are still nice, in common with most Warners sites visited over the past two years, both the choice and quality of food continues to deteriorate. Our arrival day lunch (steak & onion ciabiatta) was inedible - full of gristle - and our money was refunded; then arriving for dinner at 18.45 (opens 18.30) - we were (eventually) greeted abruptly with 'all the bread rolls are all gone'! A great start to a luxurious long week-end away?

However, the real disappointment (and not a little annoying!) for us was to be advised that the great Italian speciality restaurant - Fenocchis - was no longer open. This of course despite being advertised in all the publicity blurb sent to us - and as it is STILL advertised on the web today!!! So that was my wife's birthday treat down the tubes!!!

Almost daily e-mails and weekly mail advertising their breaks, but NOT a courteous word about this important change!! In fact apart from the gift shop (!) the whole 'village experience' was completely closed down!

Following the demise of the Concierge Club cards much vaulted (but short lived) benefit of a 10% discount on many things on site, the after dinner tea/coffee is now chargeable, evening carvery has seemingly been reduced to just two roast meat joints, the very handy notepad/pen has disappeared from the bed side telephone, based on the slow (and at times downright rude) meal time service it appears as though staffing has been reduced and the previous abundance of day time activities - especially the indoor craft and involvement activities - have all but disappeared!The 'replacement' of the Concierge Card discount with a few miserly one off discount vouchers effectively renders the whole 'loyalty' scheme redundant.

Following our last visit to CST, the site's general manager was delighted to receive my congratulatory letter to him following what was undoubtedly our best ever Warners break. Based on this earlier experience we considered the long drive well worth it - and we came again. Sadly this time things could not have been more disappointing and we will certainly not undertake a 3-4 hour drive here again - as, for us, Warners cut backs have completely removed the 'special' nature of this once unique experience. My next letter to CST may not be received quite so well.

P.S. It is now Sunday lunchtime - and the droves of 'non-residents' are arriving for Sunday lunch, completely overwhelming the already very inadequate seating in the coffee lounge area. A complete farce!! Just hope that they WON'T all be 'lingering' to swamp this afternoon's panto - but I'm not holding my breath!!

Room Tip: Walled garden rooms are well appointed but (with the demise of Fenocchi's and the 'village e...
3  Thank David L
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post you review

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed, this year Warner have introduced more activities such as The Warner Pop Choir, Do you Want to Dance and Walk a Mile with Warner to name a few, I am sorry you felt there was not eough to do.

Warner like to keep things new and exciting this is why you now have a booklet with offers in, some of our guests feel this was a better option, but I will pass your comments on.

I am sorry about the bread roll and I will speak to the restaurant manager and chef as this is certainly wrong at the beginning of dinner to be out of rolls.

We do every year offer a Lunch and Panto to ouside guests which proves quite popular, this should not effect our resident guests as these guests use the restaurant when it is closed and if there are more booked that seats left in our Pavilion we offer a second Panto as well.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

A party of six of us visited mainly to go the the Queen tribute evening on 23/11/13. However the package included one evening meal in the Fennochi's Italian restaurant. All of us were looking forward to this but the restaurant was closed for our stay. Worse though was that we not informed of this in advance nor on our arrival. By chance, one of our party had found out on line, naughty that Warners did not inform us. However, the accommodation was excellent, the food brilliant and all of the facilities we used were very good. A special mention must go to the superb entertainment team who put on and organised an excellent range of entertainment throughout our stay. They justly deserve praise but would find their job easier if provided with radio microphones. We would without doubt go to Cricket Thomas and Warner hotels again. Let's hope the Italian restaurant is open though!

Room Tip: Contemporary Royale rooms, though more, were well worth it. Very nice accomodation.
1  Thank Ann E
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your break here with us, we did have some good feedback after the Queen Tribute.

I am sorry to hear that you were not contacted over the closure of our Italian Restaurant, all guests should have been written to from our Hemel Office. I hope to see you again in the future, but we will not have an Italian Restaurant here as we are now extending our Tree Tops Restaurant to enable our guests to have an allocated table for the whole of their break after listening to our guest feedback this is what they value.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have stayed here before sometime ago and have stayed at many of the Warners Hotels so we knew more or less what to expect. Whilst the restaurant has been redecorated and the staff were fine, the food though plentiful wasn't as tasty as we remembered. Also Coffee is not now included with the evening meal, but I suppose savings have to be made to keep the prices reasonable.
What really made the break for us was the entertainments team, they were excellent and very professional. Our room was OK, a bit dark, even with all the lights on, but everything worked.
The wildlife park that was adjacent to the Hotel has now gone, the grounds now extend much further and have very pleasant walks. Cricket House (used in "To the Manor Born") was used for Christmas Carols and was a very relaxing venue to chill out in.
We would probably return, though not for a while as pastures new beckon.

1  Thank Barby305Wales

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased you enjoyed your break and liked the entertainment. I will pass your comments onto the chef regarding the food. The decision was taken to do a better quality of coffee following guests feedack and we do charge now for a much better choice of coffee.

Our Wildlife Park closed three years ago but our grounds are wonderful, I am pleased you enjoyed them.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

this was booked as a family get-together for eight.Did not know what to expect, but we were Very Pleasantly surprised. The rooms were excellent, ground floor with patio, the staff and entertainment staff worked so hard to ensure we were happy all day and entertained all evening.Plenty of daytime activities to try, Archery, shooting, swimming, golf, etc etc.The lounge in the main house was the perfect place for a quite coffee or lunch. Overall excellent, did not need to venture outside the grounds.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long walk from the main building if you have difficulty with mobility.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased that your family get together went well, and that you enjoyed the entertainment and joined in with some of our activities.

I do hope that you will repeat this experience and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My review does not concern a trip but the booking experience, strange I know, but let me explain as we did not actually get to go and I feel quite angry about how we have been treated.

My ‘celebration’ weekend trip was booked in August for November in one of the ‘Premier Historic rooms’ with some dining conditions specified, these were checked and confirmed several times verbally and email.

As the dining conditions could not be honoured (we were advised by letter 7 days prior), and ‘would £30 in Warner vouchers compensate?’ I immediately cancelled and needed to wait 10 days with several chases for this to be processed (described as fast-tracked)

In my opinion the Customer (couldn’t care) less team did not do enough and spoilt my wife’s birthday - Warner’s have emailed me since with what I consider excuses and the offer of a direct dial number should I ever want to visit in future.

Room Tip: you need to be extremely patient when refunds are processed
10  Thank Branko V

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the closure of our Italian Restaurant, this is due to the feedback we received from some of our guests over the last twelve months as it became less popular The decision has been made to close it and make a second main restaurant which will enable all of our guests to have a set table for the duration of their stay.

I am sorry that you felt the Customer Care team were unhelpful I will pass your comments onto the Call Centre Manager.

Regarding the length of time it took for your refund, I do apologise but this is often determined by the bank you use.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I have just had a 3rd break at Cricket St Thomas and as the previous ones it was fantastic and we already have another one booked for March. We always go home feeling relaxed and ready to face the outside world again. The standard rooms are excellent and very roomy. The Treetops restaurant is very pleasant and the food is great. Quite an achievement to cook such a variety to that standard for so many people. We have always been impressed by how friendly the staff are right across the board.
The entertainment is something Cricket (and Steve) must be very proud of, they are a wonderful team, James 1st has such energy and seems to be able to turn his hand to anything, and it looks as if James 2nd will follow in his footsteps.The girls are so friendly as well as talented. Then we come to Neil Graham, what an entertainer he is, outstanding voice and an hilarious act too, well worth staying up til 1am for, enjoying his cds too..
What can I complain about ......think think think!!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

1  Thank Jen C

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful time here, I will pass this feedback onto the team who will be delighted.

I will look forward to seeing you again on March.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Tinsel & Turkey Monday to Friday was most enjoyable. The entertainments team worked hard all day and evening. Neil Graham in the late evening spot was fantastic. The food was excellent and plentiful and our waiter, Krystian, was so attentive, pleasant and such fun it made our holiday. The grounds at Cricket St. Thomas are beautiful with lakes and waterfalls, mature trees and frisby golf! a bowling area, and in Summer a miniature railway. The usual fitness suite and games room were available. The WOW factor was when we entered Cricket House. One wonderful room after another with the Grand Staircase the crowing glory! Well worth a visit with a lovely room where food can be purchased for lunch or coffee/tea.

Room Tip: All Standard rooms were along several corridors in the garden wing and also a short outside walk pas...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It was lovely to hear that you had a great time with your friends here at Cricket St. Thomas. I will pass on your wonderful feedback to my team.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Steve Grainger

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
Bath House Hotel
#9 of 17 in Taunton
Travelodge Ilminster
Travelodge Ilminster
#1 of 1 in Horton Cross

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!