“Gods Waiting room”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chard
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Gods Waiting room”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were made very welcome on arrival, the room was fine and the area beautiful, the hotel was extremely large and therefor lost the intimate/ friendly atmosphere, the staff were willing to please and very helpful.
Entertainment wise very good, although if you don't /can't ballroom dance tough! Food fairly good on the whole for such a large complex.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glen B
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014

I am sorry that your felt the Hotel was too big for you, we do have 239 rooms at Cricket
St. Thomas, some of the other Warner Hotels are on a smaller scale.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the entertainment,as you know we do have a section for ballroom dancing, but we also have other dancing as well as late night disco.

Steve Grainger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just got back from 3 night break , first time at CST and I really enjoyed it.
The room was nice (signature) spotlessly clean, nearly every member of staff had a smile or were polite to say the least. Dan in Leisure Centre did a visitor walk around the grounds and he was great. The things that spolit it were the tables being far too close together ours had approx 10 inches to the next table, when we got up we had to ask the person behind to move and then the person to the side to move!! Not very relaxing but food was nice and hot and staff in restaurant very helpfull. No tea and coffee with evening meal !! come on warners dont be so tight these breaks are not cheap.
The thing that spoilt if for me was the gift shop which sells clothes. Great idea so I picked up a couple of items but you dont pay until you have taken back to the room and tried it on so they just take your room number. My stuff totalled £ 81 and I went back down and paid for it on credit card. 24 hours later I get a call to my room to say can I either return items or pay for it !!!!! Good job I kept the receipt, not a happy bunny. Surely the shop knows if it is £ 81.00 up or down.
Overall rooms good, cleanliness good, grounds lovely, staff and food good, ents team were really good. Things that need addressing: need tables sorting out in the restaurant and supply tea and coffee. Sort out sales policy in the gift shop they should charge you then credit back if you return an item and not ask guests to be pay for an item which has already been paid for.!!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your break and thank you for your nice comments on my team, you room and food.

Due to the feedback from our guests the decision was made to change our Italian Restaurant into a second Tree Tops Restaurat which will enable our guests to have more room and a table for the duration of their stay, this restaurant is now call The Granery.

I would like to apologise for the problem with the charge for you clothes, I will speak to our Shop Manager and look into the current procedure and see where it went wrong.

I do hope that we will see you again in the future.

Berkshire
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel three years ago and had a wonderful time. Because of this my Husband booked this last weekend for my birthday treat.
I am sad to say our experience this time was a world away from last time.

My husband intended to take me to the Italian Fenocci's restaurant on my birthday as we ate there every time on our last visit. However on arrival we found it had closed some weeks ago - despite still being advertised on the website.
The Experience Village was also closed!!
At dinner we found the tables put so closely together it resembled school dinner seating. To our disappointment we found there was no tea/coffee/small chocolate offered at the end of our evening meal.

We are Concierge members and used to receive a 10% discount card for this. On arrival we were instead given a voucher booklet - three quarters of which were useless to us.

The activities were also curtailed to what we had experienced before.

They seem to have cut down on staff with one waiter seemingly having to deal with a lot of tables. This meant having to wait an extraordinarily long time to be attended to. The choice of food at dinner has also been cut.

Our first eating experience on arrival was lunch. First of all we could not find any seating but then found a seat in the Big House. However again one waitress had far too much to do and we nearly left. However she finally came to take our order and we ordered steak and onion panninis. We found the steak in these just so gristly that we could not eat our lunch. For the rest of our stay we had our lunch at a nearby pub which produced extremely good food at cheaper prices than Warners' lunches.

On the good side the entertainments team worked very hard to produce a very enjoyable evening show.

Shall we take the long drive to Cricket St Thomas in the future - sadly not.

Room Tip: Signature rooms good value
3 Thank beachcomber14
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I apologise that you did not know Fenocchi`s had closed, this decision was taken following feedback from our guests who value a table for the duration of their break, as you said the Tree Tops restaurant was crowded. The charge for Tea/Coffee again came about from comments on the quality, it was decided to offer a better quality of coffee which is now chargeable.
Over the last year we have included extra activities like "Walk a Mile with Warner", "Do you Warner Dance" and others, I am sorry you felt that there was not enough to do.

I have passed your comments regarding the Pannini to our Chef to investigate, please accept my apologies.

General manager
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Have recently returned from Cricket St Thomas after a 3 night break and can only say we had a wonderful time. 1. The room spacious warm and comfortable with every convenience (signature room) 2. Setting absolutely wonderful thanks to the weather and the beautiful autumn colours. 3.Entertainment first rate and very professional especially the Queen Tribute, comedian and inhouse team. 4. Food excellent with plenty of choice, hot tasty and served with a smile by the waiters and waitresses. What more can I say? other than we will return in the near future.
l

1 Thank Jan T
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your break with us here. We have had some really nice feedback following the Queen Tribute. I will pass you lovely comments onto the team.

As you say our grounds are wondferul with all the autumn colours this time of year.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Presently at CST (30/11/2013) to celebrate my wife's birthday and sadly can only echo recent comments regarding the 'dwindling' Warner's experience.

So far our 'experience' is but a shadow of the fantastic stay when we were last here at CST.

Sadly, Warners seem to have completely forgotten that it IS the small things that make the difference. As long time Warners 'fans', it really IS a shame the way that Warners are progressively and systematically diluting and dismantling what was a truly successful formula - comprising luxury accommodation, good and varied food, day time activities and great evening entertainment.

While the rooms are still nice, in common with most Warners sites visited over the past two years, both the choice and quality of food continues to deteriorate. Our arrival day lunch (steak & onion ciabiatta) was inedible - full of gristle - and our money was refunded; then arriving for dinner at 18.45 (opens 18.30) - we were (eventually) greeted abruptly with 'all the bread rolls are all gone'! A great start to a luxurious long week-end away?

However, the real disappointment (and not a little annoying!) for us was to be advised that the great Italian speciality restaurant - Fenocchis - was no longer open. This of course despite being advertised in all the publicity blurb sent to us - and as it is STILL advertised on the web today!!! So that was my wife's birthday treat down the tubes!!!

Almost daily e-mails and weekly mail advertising their breaks, but NOT a courteous word about this important change!! In fact apart from the gift shop (!) the whole 'village experience' was completely closed down!

Following the demise of the Concierge Club cards much vaulted (but short lived) benefit of a 10% discount on many things on site, the after dinner tea/coffee is now chargeable, evening carvery has seemingly been reduced to just two roast meat joints, the very handy notepad/pen has disappeared from the bed side telephone, based on the slow (and at times downright rude) meal time service it appears as though staffing has been reduced and the previous abundance of day time activities - especially the indoor craft and involvement activities - have all but disappeared!The 'replacement' of the Concierge Card discount with a few miserly one off discount vouchers effectively renders the whole 'loyalty' scheme redundant.

Following our last visit to CST, the site's general manager was delighted to receive my congratulatory letter to him following what was undoubtedly our best ever Warners break. Based on this earlier experience we considered the long drive well worth it - and we came again. Sadly this time things could not have been more disappointing and we will certainly not undertake a 3-4 hour drive here again - as, for us, Warners cut backs have completely removed the 'special' nature of this once unique experience. My next letter to CST may not be received quite so well.

P.S. It is now Sunday lunchtime - and the droves of 'non-residents' are arriving for Sunday lunch, completely overwhelming the already very inadequate seating in the coffee lounge area. A complete farce!! Just hope that they WON'T all be 'lingering' to swamp this afternoon's panto - but I'm not holding my breath!!

Room Tip: Walled garden rooms are well appointed but (with the demise of Fenocchi's and the 'village e...
3 Thank David L
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post you review

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed, this year Warner have introduced more activities such as The Warner Pop Choir, Do you Want to Dance and Walk a Mile with Warner to name a few, I am sorry you felt there was not eough to do.

Warner like to keep things new and exciting this is why you now have a booklet with offers in, some of our guests feel this was a better option, but I will pass your comments on.

I am sorry about the bread roll and I will speak to the restaurant manager and chef as this is certainly wrong at the beginning of dinner to be out of rolls.

We do every year offer a Lunch and Panto to ouside guests which proves quite popular, this should not effect our resident guests as these guests use the restaurant when it is closed and if there are more booked that seats left in our Pavilion we offer a second Panto as well.

Tadley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

A party of six of us visited mainly to go the the Queen tribute evening on 23/11/13. However the package included one evening meal in the Fennochi's Italian restaurant. All of us were looking forward to this but the restaurant was closed for our stay. Worse though was that we not informed of this in advance nor on our arrival. By chance, one of our party had found out on line, naughty that Warners did not inform us. However, the accommodation was excellent, the food brilliant and all of the facilities we used were very good. A special mention must go to the superb entertainment team who put on and organised an excellent range of entertainment throughout our stay. They justly deserve praise but would find their job easier if provided with radio microphones. We would without doubt go to Cricket Thomas and Warner hotels again. Let's hope the Italian restaurant is open though!

Room Tip: Contemporary Royale rooms, though more, were well worth it. Very nice accomodation.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ann E
Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your break here with us, we did have some good feedback after the Queen Tribute.

I am sorry to hear that you were not contacted over the closure of our Italian Restaurant, all guests should have been written to from our Hemel Office. I hope to see you again in the future, but we will not have an Italian Restaurant here as we are now extending our Tree Tops Restaurant to enable our guests to have an allocated table for the whole of their break after listening to our guest feedback this is what they value.

Wales
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have stayed here before sometime ago and have stayed at many of the Warners Hotels so we knew more or less what to expect. Whilst the restaurant has been redecorated and the staff were fine, the food though plentiful wasn't as tasty as we remembered. Also Coffee is not now included with the evening meal, but I suppose savings have to be made to keep the prices reasonable.
What really made the break for us was the entertainments team, they were excellent and very professional. Our room was OK, a bit dark, even with all the lights on, but everything worked.
The wildlife park that was adjacent to the Hotel has now gone, the grounds now extend much further and have very pleasant walks. Cricket House (used in "To the Manor Born") was used for Christmas Carols and was a very relaxing venue to chill out in.
We would probably return, though not for a while as pastures new beckon.

1 Thank Barby305Wales
Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased you enjoyed your break and liked the entertainment. I will pass your comments onto the chef regarding the food. The decision was taken to do a better quality of coffee following guests feedack and we do charge now for a much better choice of coffee.

Our Wildlife Park closed three years ago but our grounds are wonderful, I am pleased you enjoyed them.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Steve Grainger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
Bath House Hotel
The Mount Somerset Hotel
Swandown Lodges
Swandown Lodges
#1 of 4 in Chard

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!