“Very poor experience”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chard
Luton, United Kingdom
“Very poor experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We have been to many Warner hotels but this was the most disappointing of them and certainly wouldn't return. Very limited seating area at the bar for the number of guests, rooms were not regularly cleaned and the walk from our room to the restaurant was far too long for the many guests with limited mobility. Staff were not that helpful or friendly and it did not live up to the experience you expect from a Warners hotel.
We paid for and expected a room with a 4 poster bed and seating area, in fact we had a very mediocre room with two chairs. When we complained to staff, it was a "tough" response. Some do, some don't. So disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra because you won't get it and be prepared to walk miles around the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mightymouse2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just back from a long weekend at this hotel in stunning grounds which my children treated me to for my birthday.
Everything about the place was very good with young staff who did a great job and were always pleasant.
Entertainment of some type was on the go everyday if you wished and the restaurant served very good food when you consider how many people were there.
It was very busy but as the place is large and the grounds are about 30 acres you never noticed the crowds.
It seems very set up to help disabled guests with many ramps and as there were quite a few guests in either wheel chairs or the electric movers it must have been so helpful to them.

A great weekend break

Room Tip: 'Walled garden' rooms are in a quiet area and the ground floor rooms all opened onto a priva...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Moretonhampstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We took my in-laws to Cricket St Thomas this year after taking them away to Sinah Warren last July. We booked through a local Travel Agent, Bath Travel, who were brilliant. As Mum is disabled and neede an adapted room we were told that as it was in the walled garden we would have to pay for an upgrade. Really? Making money out of a disability? We reluctantly agreed, as she couldn't go wthout a shower for a week... Imagine our disgust when the week before we went (5th May) the Warner website was offering 'free upgrades to patio rooms'. Bath Travel spoke to Warner on my behalf (I didn't want to have to pay for the 0844 call, and my husband and I got 'upgraded' to a patio room and we got a refund for the 'upgrade' paid for the adapted room. We ate in The Granary room, which was really convenient to our rooms. The entertainment was well rehearsed and executed, but didn't really float our boat. We all felt that last year's in Sinah Warren was better; more entertaining. The swimming pool was used by us every day and I would definitely return to do say a 2 night break to incorporate the excellent Spa centre. We always aseem to attract the elephants when we stay in hotels and here was no exception. Why do people have to stomp around when they must know they are in a room above other people??? We also felt the bed was on a slight incline, so our feet felt higher than our head... As we had a patio room, we also had feathered visitors, namely cock and hen pheasants and a couple of ducks. Because previous occupants of our room had fed these birds (very naughty), they thought nothing of tapping on the glass of the door to get our attention and food. They were unlucky.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise A
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was our third trip to Cricket and our second stay in the Rose room,so comfortable and quiet with lovely views over the gardens.
The welcome with a glass of bubbly was great after a long drive.
As usual the food and the staff were excellent,but the entertainment team were the best we have seen at any of the Warners hotels,so talented.
We are not sure when our next trip will be but we will look forward to it with anticipation of another great time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter12345186298
Rochester, Kent, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I cannot remember how many times we have visited this most perfect location with its historic house situated in the centre of the most beautifully manicured gardens and lakes. The staff from the housekeeping section, through to management fall over themselves to ensure the guests enjoy their experience and a special mention to the gardeners for keeping the grounds so tidy and well loved. Also the entertainment team once again excelled themselves with their show and we look forward to seeing their next venture on our return. If you haven't been before, take advantage of the house tour by Betty to find out about the history it is worth it and adds to the whole experience. The decision to open up the Granary Restuarant has been well received and all of our fellow diners were full of praise. The food as always was excellent. Well done Cricket Team and see you again in August.

Room Tip: Have stayed in a variety of rooms and not had a bad one so go with your budget and you will not be d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SandyRoger_10
Verwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

The Good

The staff - just 100% - The entertainment staff were just amazing. The main guy / singer / host has obviously been doing it for a while and his professionalism and talent shines thru. Mick our Estonian waiter, Beryl (I think) who met us at the house reception, the list just goes on. I can't fault any of them - well done !

The house and grounds themselves (but see later review bit) - Stately home from 'to the manor born', thru its life as ill fated blobbyland to the glorious house and gardens today, just fabulous for a walk round counting sheep, putting or bowls !

The rooms - We poshed up ! to the main house rooms, broadly an extra £40 a night for the 3 night stay versus the signature rooms. With a four poster bed, larger TV (which in a larger room actually looks smaller :-) ), bathrobes etc. but original sash windows that rattled in the wind ! My parents stayed in a signature room in the walled garden, because they wanted ground floor and a patio. These were basically the same quality as a good premier inn, but would say the walled garden was really just that - a view from the shared patio into some bushes beyond which was the wall. If there is some way of getting a wider estate view I would recommend doing that.

The food - Generally very good, a bit soft roast potatoes but if that is the worst I can mention about here it is doing well. I would NOT recommend the VIP evening deals where you can pay an extra £15, £25 or even £50 per person for at the show. This is for just one night of your stay you get a table (same as normal show ones), but with a tablecloth, nibbles, free drink which varies per deal and 'waiter' service. We saw one couple (the only one!) with their table cloth and the guy from behind the bar regularly wander across and ask them if they wanted anything. Up to you but to me this seemed a bit too cash wasteful for a tablecloth and to save the walk to the
bar.

The Bad

One other trip advisor reviewer complained about false advertising that being that the more intimate 'granary' restaurant (the old Italian one if you stayed before), was closed. When we stayed also I think the hotel was not fully booked and hence this was again 'closed'. I got two versions of why this was closed from staff - one was 'the general manager says so' & the other was 'they're doing maintenance'. Sorry but this just seems like an excuse to save money !

The Worst

Whoever is in charge of maintenance should be shot :-). Yes the grounds are huge and I can imagine it takes an army to keep them together but here are my highlights (I included some photos for management as well) :-

i) New for 2014 ! it says on your guide - try the 'tricky trail' - well it turns out more tricky than you think as they haven't put the signs up yet. They were strewn on the floor around the grounds, waiting for someone with a spade. In mid May I suspect this may end up 'new for 2015!'

ii) Our room - yes we 'poshed up' - extravagant indeed, but when we arrived found the room heat thermostat had the sensor bashed in and no temperature dial. We manually turned on the heat to start with but finally reported it to reception. Yay, they promptly sorted.... the sensor - still no temperature dial, so no ability to control the heat. By the last night we had the heat on and the window open - very green indeed !

iii) The 'indoor' sports hall area - oh my lord - hundreds of dead flies in the lights, the bar skittles with the broken ball you couldn't use, the table hockey with the broken plastic corner lying on the floor, the same machine with a broken scoreboard and wires hanging out, the table tennis table with no net, the PC you turn on that throws up an error, the heat you have go in and turn on yourself... it goes on...

iv) The outdoor 'boules' makes use of a golf ball for you to aim at !

v) On with the show ! where the little heart shape led props used in the show had several LED's out.

vi) That is of course if you can find the show - two lifts down with the stickers telling you what is on what floor being completely gone or mostly gone (see pic).

v) Finally the little train :-( Down in the grounds there is a little train track that can take you on a train to the other side of the grounds. Ideal for my elderly parents who struggle to walk a bit. But no train in sight ! - ok so this isn't advertised as being 'available', but when I enquired I was told they were waiting for a 'part' to make it work. When we got to the far station though we saw
the last timetable was dated October ! (8 months ago) - obviously parts are very rare or again management have no intention to have this work, and fob you off with a poor excuse.

OK, overall... we went to Sinah Warren last time and this should win hands down based on the grounds alone, but the poor maintenance, and being told what appears to basically be just 'spin' for certain things not being right puts me off. It is a huge shame as it is 95% there and the staff (apart from maintenance) could do no better if they tried ! Would we go again to Warners, absolutely yes, the experience works for us (mid 40's with our parents mid 70's), but would we choose cricket, probably not.

Sorry for the epic but I felt I should on this one !

P.S one thing I don't get is their pricing - they have a constant' sale' all year, last minute, book early, etc etc.I just wish when I booked I felt like I had paid a decent price, not being told I had doubtfully saved 50% (because so pretty much had everyone else!). Maybe I'm wrong but if I had paid full price I would be pretty miffed !

Room Tip: Get one that overlooks the main grounds
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BobUK999
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We went for a weekday getaway after our wedding as we were not going on honeymoon straight away, this was a treat from both sets of parents who have both been been and recommended it. Food was good, staff friendly, fun to do the rifle shooting and walk the grounds. As a young couple in our twenties we stood out and were repeatedly asked by older couples why we wanted to be at an OAP camp which I think is an unfair description of Warners breaks. One elderly lady asked if we were there with our grandparents... We enjoyed ourselves and have already booked to attend another Warners holiday break as they are fun, reasonably priced getaways.

Room Tip: We stayed in a historic room, well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClaireEM2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
Bath House Hotel
The Mount Somerset Hotel
Swandown Lodges
Swandown Lodges
#1 of 4 in Chard

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!