“Wonderful three days” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chard
Selsey UK
“Wonderful three days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

We stayed in the “Warners” at Cricket St Thomas for 3 nights from 3rd Dec 2010 and were most impressed with the whole experience.
This was our first stay at a Warners and will definitely not be the last.
We booked a suite named “The James Fry Suite” which more than exceeded our expectations. We were welcomed by Betty who gave us a glass of champagne and then escorted us to our suite. There is a large entrance hall, good sized lounge, bedroom and bathroom all furnished to a high standard including 2 flat screen tv’s and DVD players. The rooms are in the main building where “To the manor born” was filmed and have lovely views from the 3 extremely large windows.
The building itself is very spectacular with open log fires and most comfortable furniture in the lounges and bar.
We ate in Fenocchi’s the first night where the food and service was very good, the restaurant does miss a bit of ambience though being very plain and cold in the large dining area, we were fortunate that it was extremely cold outside and the restaurant not fully booked so we were all accomodated in one area near the kitchen which was OK.
The other two nights we ate in the main restaurant and whilst buffets are not our favourite eating style we did enjoy the meals.
The entertainment was also very good, we had Shomaddymaddy on the Saturday night playing music from the 60’s / 70’s .
Bar prices were reasonable, obviously more than the local pub but you do get a lot of comfort and entertainment thrown in. We didn’t use the MiniBar in the room but it was good to see the prices were the same as the bars, these are usually a rip off in most hotels hence people don’t use them, our reason for not using it was we had enough drink in the bars.
We were a bit restricted walking in the grounds because of the ice but the parts we did manage to walk were stunning and we plan to return one day when the sun is shining.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bondyboy63
cricketstthomas, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Hi there,

So pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us at Cricket st Thomas - thank you for the photographs that you uploaded for others to see.

Take on board your comments with fenocchi's, numbers were low that weekend but I am sure you can imagine when numbers are up and it's not minus 7 degrees the atmosphere is as wonderful as the food and team.

Hope you will come back next year and see us and enjoy the gardens in summer.

Many thanks

Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

I had a good holiday there, Staff were polite & friendly. Food & drink were fine but the selections off the menu were on the small side (though I prefer the food choice at Thoresby Hall) so I ate the Salad & Carvery most nights. Breakfast selection could have been better (got sick of a cooked breakfast) Cant comment on the entertainment (I was there for peace & quiet) despite the cold & snow the resort was fine. Leisure Facilities were good & plenty to do. Bar drinks were a tad expensive but that is to be expected at a Warner resort. Plenty of OAP's there too but I expected that too after staying at four of their resorts.

Free wifi this time round (about time!)

Just one thing spoilt the holiday, the ROOM! It didn't smell, IT STANK! BADLY! Not the maids fault, the furniture & carpet needs to be ripped out & burned, the room steam cleaned & new furniture & carpet installed. For a hotel rated four stars by the AA it is unacceptable! none of the rooms smelled like this one at the other 3 resorts so it needs to be sorted out! for the GM's info it was room 611.

I wouldn't reccommend warners to anyone with a good sense of smell if this room is anything to go by.

Rant over

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank insanelaundryman
cricketstthomas, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2010
Hello,

Thank you for your in depth review, it was great to hear that you enjoyed the majority of the experiences at the Hotel and also great to hear you used it as an opportunity to relax, entertainment and activities are a big part of what we offer but we do also cater for those who just like to relax and unwind.

Your comments on the room are noted - just to update you Cricket St Thomas has invested around £3 million in the last 3 years in refurbishing it rooms and building 24 additional rooms. To complete total refurbishment we have 39 rooms to complete, yes you guessed it, the 600's are the last rooms to be completed in January and February 2011. Please give me a call when you next visit and I will be happy to arrange a room to sort your needs.

Wheathampstead
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

Went here for my birthday. Staff very pleasant. Food medioca, not hot. Husband had steak and stilton pie, tasteless, no body bothered asking how the food was. Room was ok, but when getting a room with a double bed, I expect a double bed. If they have put two single beds together, as they did in our room, they could have put a mattress topper on so that if felt like a double bed. First morning the shower was so hot we could not stand under it, then the door fell off. Also the only heat in there was the towel rail, far too cold. Told reception, they got someone to fix the shower and shower door, but they left a muddy footprint in the cubicle. The doors in the corridor outside our room squeaked every time someone came through them. Told reception they got it fixed, but I would have thought that maintenance would keep a check on things like this all the time and not expect guest to have to listen to this all night to report it to them the next day. The spa was also too cold.

3 Thank JD1Wheathampstead

I was sorry to hear that you had some issues during your stay, I have spoken to chef about your comments and although on the whole we are complimented on our food and had no reported issues during that week I accept that there may have been an issue, on the few times we do have issues the team are very happy to replace or change a dish if you would like them to.

The beds is a common practice in most Hotels worldwide, a selection of rooms have double beds and a number have what is known as zip and link beds, these lock a matress together and when covered with a quilted topper are usually very comfortable, this style of bed allows us flexibility between twin or double occupancy.

At times in 239 bedroom hotels we do have the odd maintenace issue, I was pleased to hear that when you reported the issue we repaired them swiftly - I will talk to the guys about muddy feet!

Ian Gyte
Plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

A pleasant stay if you like Christmas in November. Staff were great - very friendly and ensured that everyone who wanted to enjoy the Christmas theme did so. We ate each evening in Fennochi's. Food great but spoilt because the room was so bitterly cold! Such a shame as I had to eat with coat or cardigan on each night and the little black dress stayed firmly put away! Hotel was packed and a word of warning to the more elderly - it is a longish walk from the majority of rooms in the Courtyard to the rest of the facilities. We are fit but I know some guests were finding it a little difficult. Grounds were superb - even in November! Entertainment - ok - if a little loud on one evening. I would recommend the hotel but only if you were of a certain age!

2 Thank PlymouthGlad
cricketstthomas, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2010
Hi,

Thank you for your recent review, like most warner Leisure Hotel we offer a branded Xmas package during November and December midweeks however to cater for all we do offer an alternate restaurant, the Italian is very well recieved and I am sorry you found it cold.

We do tell our guests that the Hotel is spread out but we have facilities in all areas of the Hotel, I agree it can be a walk for those with difficulties but we do all we can to let guests know.

I was pleased that in general you had a good holiday and as you correctly say we are a holiday for people of a certain age - 55+ is our target but have many guests younger, our main aim is to provide activities, choice of entertainment and great food, I hope you will continue to visit us.

Braunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

a wonderfull stay but there are one or two things I must point out. the staff in the dining
room were excellent, our waiter russell was a treasure. the food in the ban-marie was
nowhere near hot enough.Almost cold even the breakfasts. Also the ban-marie's at the
rear of the servery were out of reach for the smaller person. A good shake up of the
dining room system would make an average dining room into a 1st class restaurant
experience.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the overall superb rating you gave us at Cricket St Thomas for your recent stay.

I have taken on board your comments on the dining room, generally the new buffet system is very well recieved by our guests and we have few issues around food temperature so I was disapointed to hear that you had a cold meal.

I hope the fact that you scored us 5/5 will mean that this will not deter you from visiting in future?

Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

My wife and i stayed for three nights in a Signature room from the 12th November.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the only criticisms we have were the rock hard bed in room 401 and the service at dinner.Our waitress Inga did her very best but she clearly had to many tables to attend and this led to plates not being removed and a generally slow service.She undertook her duties in a pleasant manner and no blame can be placed on her.The hotel badly needs to take on more staff in the restaurant which i am sure would lead to some more favourable reviews.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, a good nights sleep is something that we are passionate about at Cricket, it is a shame you did not mention it to the team and they could of rectified it with a replacement or a topper, I am sorry this happened and thanks to your review we have rectified the issue.

I will let the waitress know your comments, at certain peaks we can become busy but I can assure you that we always allocate enough team to ensure they are not overworked.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Hotel and surroundings and hope you will come back and see us in the future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

I followed brown signs to Cricket St Thomas Wildlife park for several miles with my wife and young daughter. When we got to the gates it just said "Lakes and gardens" - I thought in addition but as it turned out it was instead of a wildlife park. The animals had been gone for a year but they seem to have left the signs up just to con people into going there. The lakes and gardens, although not finished, lack imagination. My neighbour's garden has more colour! A small cafe had ben closed in favour of a restaurant and one could "get a light meal in the hotel but children were not allowed in there". We lunched at Fenocchis, an itallian styled restaurant. This was the only place children could eat but there was no children's menu or seating. A light salad was over £8 and the croutons were stale. When I complained I was told that someone else had done so yesterday! No apology. I wrote to Cricket St Thomas and to their head office in London to express my disappointment but after three months I have still to receive a reply from either. I would never, ever even think of staying at one of their hotels let alone go back to the Lakes and Gardens.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Moolandmagic
Dear Sir/Madam,

Having read your review I thought I would take the time to explain a few things.

Cricket St Thomas Wildlife park closed down over 1 year ago and although the tourist signs are not yet removed we have not marketed the park for 2 seasons, the website has closed down and there has been countless communication in the local area, as much as we would like to it is impossible to contact all potential visitors personally.

The brown signs exist still as they are owned by the highways agency and not the Hotel, we are in constant communication around the alteration of these signs and planning permission for a change, I appreciate this may of been a problem.

You then correctly mention the lakes and gardens, this is part of a 3 year project to transform the landscape back to its former glory and is not designed as a childrens attraction hence there was no facilities or menus for children, you will of also noted on your visit for those that do bring children no charge is made.

The italian restaurant is aimed at Hotel guests and offers a great lunchtime menu for day visitors, although it is not a burger and traditional snacks it is very popular with our guests.

With regard to your views on the environment I can only say again that most guests and reviews you will read speak highly of the gardens and cricket and the formal grounds, they can also see the development of the new areas in the old wildlife park which will see another £100,000 investment in 2011 after the £350,000 investment of 2010.

I am sorry the visit was not to your satifaction and you were unaware of the changes.

Ian Gyte
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
Bath House Hotel
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Dower House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!