“Wonderful Guest House and Hosts!”

Ammonite Lodge Guest House
Ranked #1 of 13 Chard B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Guest House and Hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Chard and the fantastic hospitality from Andrew and Clare. The room was spotlessly clean and full of great personal touches. The welcome and constant hospitality of the hosts was incredibly friendly. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and our bathroom was very spacious with natural daylight. Best of all though is the excellent breakfast - the best choice of continental I have seen in a guest house all followed by a delicious, freshly cooked hot breakfast with genuine locally sourced ingredients. We only wished we could have stayed longer! The Ammonite Lodge should definitely be your number one choice when staying in Chard.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Welcoming hosts, perfect night sleep and delicious breakfast are the three most important features we normally hope for when travelling. The Ammonite Lodge ticked all the boxes. The beds were super comfortable, the breakfast perfect (had the best lemon curd yoghurt ever!) not to mention our hosts who even sat down with us in the sitting room with a glass of red and chat spontaneously! It was a 10 out of 10 stay. Thanks Guys!

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Affable and welcoming host and hostess. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they went out of their way to accommodate us at short notice. The new owners are implementing a programme of updating to a high specification.
Berries, cherries and bowls of fruit are just a hint of the outstanding breakfast that awaits you.
We would love the opportunity to return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this property through booking.com as my husband was booked onto a course at River Cottage.
We were overwhelmed by the welcome by the owners Andrew and Claire who couldn't have done any more to make this such a perfect overnight stay,
The property is quaint and spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable and the quality of the linen and towels was top notch.
The garden is lovely and our room (1) overlooked he garden.
We were provided with a fabulous breakfast which included a range of items. My husband chose the full English which was perfectly cooked and local produce was used. I was provided with a fantastic range of perfect fresh fruit and followed by porridge - scrummy.
Although we didn't spend much time in Chard this was an ideal base to visit Lyme Regis and the surrounding area.
We wouldn't hesitate to return to Ammonite Lodge

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine W
Dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

As a hotelier of some 35 years you could say I'm a tad long in the tooth...my recent role takes me to West Bay-Bridport-Seaton-Dorchester-Wool-Corfe Castle-staying away 3 nights a week on business,and so last week I thought I'd try the BnB places in Chard! As luck would have it Ammonite Lodge was top of the pops on a national booking site with space so my booking was made....I arrived around half six,parked almost outside(had till 10am the following morning) so didn't worry to move my car to the Lodge's own car park and knocked on the door.The owner answered and showed me into the lovely lounge area,and offered me a glass of wine(he knows we hoteliers are a thirsty lot!!) I thought I'd died and gone to heaven,I really did...I was so thrilled about my find I phoned my boyfriend David to share news of my find...I don't do telephones out of work mode so David is still in shock!
The cleanliness and attention to detail is truly outstanding,its a beautiful house/home and Andrew and Clare have truly captured the real essence of how to care for guests.Number one will always be customer care/cleanliness...a bedroom/bathroom where everything works /2 Wifi codes as being an old building they aren't taking any chances/fabulous breakfast with all you could want on offer..Clare tells me she's a trained chef,so no surprises as to why the food is so amazing...Andrew is a hotelier of many years...and yes it shows.As if all of this wasn't enough the bedroom teatray has sweeties/biscuits/water/fresh milk ect and the bathroom has shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/body cream/mending kit/cosmetic pack and the most beautiful white fluffy towels I have not seen since my stay at Chewton Glenn- (Top hotel in Hampshire)I'm not easily impressed but I'm blown away by what Ammonite/Andrew and Clare have on offer and although it would be unfair to mention in this report the names of my previous disgraceful BnB's...I just hope I don't have to stay in West Bay/Seaton/Wool/Dorchester/Corfe Castle ever again-B xx ps guess what I'm booked in at the Lodge for the next 5/6 weeks - Please feel free to contact me re my new find !

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are brilliant - your dealing with professionals at the Lodge!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BeverleyH-Smith
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a delightful lodge runs by a husband and wife team. Very pleasant and extremely friendly couple. The lodge is extremely well kept. Clean, tastefully furnished and serves good breakfast spread. You can talk English football with the man who runs this lodge. Although, we do not support the same team, Andrew is very passionate about two things - football and going the extra mile for guests of his lodge!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 18Titles
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed there in May this year. The lodge is delightfully nice. The couple, Andrew & Clare, who run this place were fantastic hosts. They made everyone feel very welcome. The place is spotlessly clean, the room comfortable and the breakfast spread homely. Will definitely come back. Kudos to Andrew & Clare!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
Bath House Hotel
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece
#3 of 13 in Chard
Watermead Guest House

Been to Ammonite Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!