Review Highlights
If you have the time, it’s worth going out of your way to visit!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
PortAzor
Cambridge, Massachusetts
via mobile
I loved visiting this place.

Reviewed 24 September 2018
Ann B

All reviews greek orthodox church icons bucket crypt priest oasis jesus man stairs samaria site encounter murder ceiling conversation
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The place is known now as Nablus, biblically Sychar or Shechem in the land of Damaria. Last time I was here, 12-15 years ago, there were no walls nor ceiling, hence no icons in the church. It is a fascinating Greek Orthodox Church, watched over by Fr. Justinus, who painted all the icons and did the mosaic of the Crucifixion, a major undertaking. It is 100% certain that Jesus was here on His way to Jerusalem when he met the Samaritan woman, known as Saint Photine.

Down a stairway below the church is the location of the well where The encounter took place. The well is extremely deep and the water is cool and refreshing.

I had the pleasure of meeting Fr. Justinus and was led around the church as he humbly showed me all his work and prayer of the Icons. It’s amazing that a gentleman of his stature and age was so inspired and able to illuminate the Church with the beauty of the Icons. He is undoubtedly blessed by the Lord.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

It is full of beautiful plants and trees unlike the dry climate of Nablus. The ancient story behind the well and retelling of the more recent unfortunate murder of the priest make this a place worth visiting. You don't need a guide because there are people who will show you around. It feels very peaceful here.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Must see - historic and inspiring. Learnt so much, about Palestine and the artisan craft of soap making.

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Jacob's Well and the Orthodox church built over it is off the beaten path so if you arrive at the right moment, you are likely to have the site completely to yourself. It is a refreshingly beautiful oasis in the midst of the arid hills of the ancient area of Samaria. There's an ornate church and gorgeous gardens. Of course, the purpose of your visit is to see Jacob's Well where Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman. If you are courageous enough, you can dip a bucket into the well and taste the water drawn from it. Being less brave about these things, I trusted my friend's pronouncement that the water was cool and refreshing.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Located in the Eastern Orthodox monastery of Bir Ya'qub, Jacob's Well, since at least the 330s AD, has been identified as the place where Jesus held his conversation with the Samaritan woman. It is a quite, lovely place, surrounded by walls. The church is ornate, in the Orthodox fashion. The well is accessed by descending the stairs to the church's crypt. The well still stands, along with a small winch and bucket. Our guide explained the story of the well, then dropped the bucket into, what seemed like a bottomless well. After bring the filled bucket to the surface, we were given the opportunity to taste the water. There is a small gift shop in the upper church, and you can purchase a small bottle of the well water in the crypt, which we did, as it goes to support the monastery. The ancietness of the site, the traditional story, and the quite and reverent surroundings made this one of the more memorial stops on our pilgrimage.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I have been to Jacob's Well twice, first in August 2016, and then in August 2017. In my second visit, the place was empty except for the priest, my sister, and I. It opens at 9am till 12pm, and then reopens from 2 to 4 in the afternoon.

It is very quiet and peaceful inside, and please do not worry about the surrounding areas, as I am aware that some tourists have concerns. I have always felt very welcome. There are service taxis that will drop you in front of the church, and after your visit, you can take taxis to anywhere in Nablus. Definitely recommend.

3  Thank AdityaDas_13
Reviewed 14 July 2017

On our tour group's drive through Samaria we stopped at St. Photini Church, a Greek Orthodox church located in Nablus, Palestine. The church is built over Jacob's Well. The well is in the lower crypt of the church. Another review states that no photos are allowed in the well area, but our group took photos and videos while the Greek Orthodox priest looked on.

I happened to be closest to the well when our tour leader finished talking about the well, so I was able to draw water from this ancient well. It's really deep.

Our group was trying to be quiet and reverent, and all of a sudden we were surprised by the priest who sprinkled us using his aspergillum. He had a smirk on his face, which made us all laugh. We found out that this priest is the artist who painted the ceiling in the sanctuary of the church. It took him six months. He also created some beautiful mosaics located in the church. I asked him if I could take his picture, which he willingly allowed me to do.

Our group all enjoyed our time visiting this church and Jacob's Well.

2  Thank kekenkel
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Jacob's Well is easy to reach from the center of Nablus. From the bottom of the mall you can take a shared taxi to "Beerr ya3qoob" - it will cost 2.5 shekels.
The well is located inside a church with a beautiful and peaceful garden. Depending on the day you go, you might bump into a lot of Russian tourists but the place is normally very quiet.
The man responsible for the place is friendly and happy to show you around. There is no entry fee but a small donation is appreciated.

2  Thank barbaragt
Reviewed 26 April 2017

This church is set within a well groomed and beautiful garden. The church is full of plenty to see. The stairs down to Jacob's Well are a bit steep, but worth the short trip down. No photos are allowed once inside the "well" area. It's quite surreal once you are there and seeing it after hearing the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman.

I didn't appreciate being pressured by the attendant to make a donation to the church while he stood waiting for money. It's free admission, but you will be asked to give money.

1  Thank jsimmons
Reviewed 19 April 2017

The church above is a fairly recent reconstruction - beautifully restored with old materials, but the real interest is in the chapel below. Look out for the small brass plaque which commemorates the murder of a priest by an Israeli settler a few years ago.

1  Thank alisonsteele2016