“Not 5 star” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Coral Coast
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Went there with two young children and my wife. Originally we were in a garden room but when we got there the room hadn't been set up and we got upgraded to an ocean view room. Thank goodness because the garden room was extremely outdated and the kind of room where you didn't want to take your shoes off (even in the shower). It had the asbestos-type textured walls and ceiling. The ocean view room was better but it still wasn't overly fantastic and not 5 star by any means. At least it had normal walls and only an asbestos-type textured ceiling. The actual resort entrance way/restaurant area/location is fantastic. A bit expensive all round and there was no where to get water except from the restaurant. Fijians working there are a great bunch however.

Room Tip: Avoid garden view rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hungrydave d
WarwickFijiGM, General Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear hungrydave d

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for sharing your impressions and constructive comments of your recent stay with the Trip Advisor community.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the issues with your room and other aspects of your stay whilst a guest at our resort. I was disappointed to learn that your stay was anything less than perfect, and please accept my sincerest apologies. I can assure you though that the walls and ceiling are not asbestos as stated in your feedback. Your comments allow us an opportunity to review and improve on our service quality to ensure that we deliver our usual best service consistently.

We thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and providing us with your feedback.

hungrydave d, please know that your patronage of the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa is valued, and we would welcome another opportunity to serve you.

Cole Mansfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Can't wait to not have to holiday during school holidays. Resort was packed out. Lots of things going on with holidays, kids, weddings etc. At times I think the resort was struggling in some areas just because of the volume of people staying there. We (16 year old daughter and mum) enjoyed our stay because we generally did not get involved in a lot of the theme nights etc and we just chilled. The only theme night we did go to was disorganised and we had to wait for plates and cutlery and then the food bowls were very low. When we checked in we were asked to book for all dinners at night however many obviously did not and just turned up- thus making it very difficult for catering. Our air conditioning basically did not work the whole time we were there, luckily it was always windy so we did not feel the heat too much. Although they attempted to fix it there was very little change in temperature. Staff overall were very friendly. We had all meals included, which was great as we never left the resort. We were able to go into any of the restaurants. We had fj$55 for dinner and fj30 for lunch to spend and the only time I went over this was at the Wicked Walu restaurant because I had lobster. Would like to go back in non school holiday time. Not a five star resort but offered what we needed and really appreciated being up graded to Warwick Club.

1 Thank HMSHolidays
Dear HMSHolidays

Sunny greetings from us here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! We sincerely thank you for providing us with your feedback in-regards to your stay with us.

It is disappointing to hear that your stay did not meet all your expectations. I apologise for the shortfalls you encountered whereby your comments have been noted and forwarded to the relevant departments to look into. While we never want to hear that someone’s stay is less than perfect, we always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests on what we can do to improve our services.

Your experience is contrary to the high level of service we strive to maintain, and of which you have every right to expect at the Warwick.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and providing us with your feedback.

Please know that your patronage of the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa is valued, and we would welcome another opportunity to serve you.

Sydney, NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

The Warwick is a nice resort. The gardens and beach is well kept, the common areas are well maintained. The rooms are clean and well equipped but a little on the small side, but you shouldn't be in your room anyway! Most of the staff are friendly and very helpful. There is a few different restaurants on site to keep the variety interesting. A great range of activities and shows throughout the week to entertain you too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear chop_hsuey

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for your short sweet review as it makes us so proud to read comments like yours, especially as you had chosen to spend your family holiday with us.

We are pleased that you enjoyed a renewing stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that you & your family had a wonderful stay and that our resort facilities, services and team fulfilled your expectations as we are committed to deliver our best service to our guests to create a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

chop_hsuey, we would like to take another opportunity to come and experience the Warwick hospitality.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I'll cut to the chase - don't waste your money! Almost everything was overpriced and poor quality. I don't understand how they could be ranked a 5 star resort. I think the numerous negative reviews below speak for themselves, but I will share my experience:

Rooms: Our room was really run down and smelt of mould. Even our pillows smelt mouldy and damp, which could not have been hygienic or good for our health. There were also renovations going on at the time which they did not warn us about. Some people in our party had a room situated right above the jackhammering, despite having paid for one of the most expensive rooms in the resort! What made it worse was that they were not warned about these renovations - even at check in! Good on them for trying to improve the resort, but to not warn guests about it is simply deceitful.

Facilities: it seemed like you had to pay for absolutely everything you wanted to do (despite paying such high rates for the rooms)! We had to pay $25 for a game of mini golf, only to discover the course was extremely run down (clearly had not been tended to in at least 10 years), and at least 4 of the holes were 'out of order'! One other thing is that the resort did seem to be very 'kid friendly' (which can be good or bad, depending on who you are!).

Food: the italian restaurant was nice, yet quite expensive. The 'egg man' at breakfast was amazing! But apart from that, the service in general was quite appalling. It really felt as if none of the staff wanted to be there, and even the slightest request was a hassle. You were lucky if you got something without having to ask more than once.

Snorkelling: this was nice! The location is great, the water is clear and blue, and there are lots of pretty fish to see. But they rarely had the right size flippers etc. for us to rent.

Overall, it was a pretty poor experience. Everything was overpriced, run down, and to top it all off, service was terrible. I am certain that for the same price you could find something far superior.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank katie3221
Dear katie3221

Sunny greetings from us here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for sharing your impressions and constructive comments of your recent stay with the Trip Advisor community.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the issues with your room, noise levels and other aspects of your stay whilst a guest at our resort. I was disappointed to learn that your stay was anything less than perfect, and please accept my sincerest apologies. Your comments allow us an opportunity to review and improve on our service quality to ensure that we deliver our usual best service consistently. In regards to your room and pillows you will be pleased to hear that we have just recently replaced all of our pillows in the resort.

katie3221,please know that your patronage of the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa is valued, and we would welcome another opportunity to serve you.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Recently stayed at the Warwick Fiji, Coral coast resort and found that it definitely wasn't a five star resort.

I have been to Fiji four times in the past several years and stayed at two other resorts along the coral coast both of which didn't have as many stars as the Warwick.

We found the following issues:

1.) The rooms didn't have air conditioning a vent that blows air does not classify as air conditioning. You would think this would be a pre requisite for any five start resort.

2.) The cleanliness of the rooms upon arrival was quite poor, we had booked two rooms. When we arrived only one room was made up and both rooms had dirty sheets and dirty floors.

3.) Staff entering rooms, on several occasions house keeping staff would simply knock on the door and enter the hotel room without waiting for permission to enter on one occasion they managed to wake a sleeping child.

4.) I get the whole Fiji time thing, and I am more than aware of it. That being said I found it extremely frustrating having to ask for things several times and the request never materialising. This happened more than once and it is by far the worst I have experienced.

5.) As I said previously I have been to Fiji four times and have always found the staff at other resorts to be the most accommodating people. At the Warwick, other than a few exceptions most of the staff seemed to be only going through the motions. Very disappointing.

6.) I found the resort in general to be very expensive. I understand that you pay for quality, but in this instance I don't believe it was there. Things like Taxi rides etc. we're cheaper and easier to book through the local village rather than the hotel. In some instances the hotel wanted to charge twice as much.

7.) There was no mention of the hotel renovations. This was something we specifically asked about as we're looking to stay at another resort and it was something they advised.

8.) The price for baby sitting was very expensive compared to other resorts.

Finally the experience was quite disappointing and I won't be returning to or recommending the "Warwick Fiji Resort and Spa."

3 Thank Kris A
Dear Kris A

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the issues with your room, noise levels and other aspects of your stay whilst a guest at our resort. I was disappointed to learn that your stay was anything less than perfect, and please accept my sincerest apologies. Your comments allow us an opportunity to review and improve on our service quality to ensure that we deliver our usual best service consistently. I am surprised to hear that you found items to be more expensive here at the resort as compared to other places in Fiji. In our reviews we have found our prices often to be comparable or lower than the competitors. I am unaware of what you would normally pay for babysitting but our guests normally find the FJD$ 10.00 per hour to be quite reasonable.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent 9 nights at Warwick Fiji Resort I have to say the experience left me feeling that I will never return to Fiji. I have to admit that I am the type of traveller who likes to stay at a nice comfortable hotel and I often spend a lot of time researching on TA before making a booking. However, this time was a holiday with my girlfriend and her daughter. My girlfriend bought the deal from ‘Travel Online’. Since she said that Warwick is a 5 star hotel, I thought it can’t be too bad. How wrong was I!!

1) Accommodation: the room we were given was worse than a 3 star hotel. It was old, smelly, with holes on the ceiling, dirty marks and cheap patches on the wall, Aircon couldn’t blow cool air. It was hilarious to see the hotel had a ‘maintenance request’ form for guests in the room. Why move guests into a dilapidated room in the first place? Everyone we came cross complained about the aircon. 3 nights later, I could no longer bare the room and requested a room change. The hotel was obviously undergoing renovation but at no time were the guests informed about this. Where is the basic courtesy?

2) Food: The every night themes buffet is expensive, it charges FJD65.00 per head and the quality was at food court precooked take away level at best. The food in the Japanese restaurant will make Japanese feel insulted. I doubt the chef has ever tasted Japanese cuisine. Every dish top with soy sauce which tasted salty and bitter. They need get some decent Japanese soy sauce. We had two meals in the Italian restaurant which were ok. Eating meals in the resort were simply a task rather than an enjoyable experience.

3) Services: This is the area Warwick really fell short. Although different guests have different budget, we all expect whatever we paid to get good value. That is where the quality resorts or hotels make the difference. It doesn’t have to be 5 stars. So many times we see a small 3 stars hotel top the TA ranking. At Warwick, there is no restaurant nearby so basically we have to eat all our meals in the resort. The main restaurant where guests have their breakfast and buffet dinner always seems crowded and chaotic regardless if it was full or 80% empty. The average waiting time for us for a meal and drink were 20-40 minutes. There were times when we had finished our meal and the drinks never came. It looked like there were enough staff around but they were disorganised. I couldn’t see any floor manager during my entire stay. Staffs were too busy to talk to each other sorting out who does what, avoiding eye contact with guests. I saw guests were queuing to get freshly made omelettes. Why can’t the resort have a staff member taking orders and giving customers an allocated number rather then let them standing around waiting? When the parents were queuing, their children got agitated and started to get plates help themselves, then you have accidents like dropped plates, broken glasses and spilt drinks.

I also dislike the factor that the resort charges fees for resort activities and does not offer free water at the sports centre. If guests want water, they have to buy bottled water. I can’t help but compare the Warwick with the Peninsula Bangkok where we stayed earlier this year. At the Peninsula swimming pool area, the hotel staff constantly walked around the pool offering guests a cold face washer, topping up their ice water and providing them with free ice cream. These small gestures make a huge difference in guests’ impression of the hotel. In my opinion, the gap between these two organisations is also a reflection of the leadership of the hotel. ‘Fiji Time’ is not an excuse for poor service. Interestingly we didn’t experience any ‘Fiji Time’ during our two excursions; it only happened in the resort. Imagine if guests take ‘Fiji Time’ when they check out, I am sure the hotel management wouldn’t like that. So it is time to get your act together. For a so call 5 star hotel, ranking 12th out of 21 hotels in Coral Coast of Fiji is nothing to be proud of.

3 Thank FamilyfunMumandSon
Dear FamilyfunMumandSon

brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Hello everyone, my daughter got married at the Warwick on 17/09/2013 and it was awesome, had the best time. The people there were so good, we had people there ranging from 6 months old to 60 years young and everyone was taken care of beautifully. The food was really nice, the rooms kept clean and the service outstanding. They had all sorts of entertainment for kids and adults, trips to villages and of course different bars and restaurants to relax in, to which I must admit that I got very relaxed most nights. Great place, great time, great people. Fiji time- man I love that saying, don't worry-no rush-today tomorrow

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Coast
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,826 reviews

Been to The Warwick Fiji? Share your experiences!